Random Irritations

Mandofred

Visit site
We keep getting that rumour too. I hope it is just that. Not only do they enable playing with lots more people, but they also mean less planning. Ours also generate big profits in food, and also over the bar. It would be silly to cancel them in my view.
When I joined this club....the rollups were a life saver for me. Things just won't be as sociable/friendly/fun if they don't come back. I just don't want to play without the rollups....just barely hanging on as it is. The life-blood of the club......

YandaB

Visit site
We keep getting that rumour too. I hope it is just that. Not only do they enable playing with lots more people, but they also mean less planning. Ours also generate big profits in food, and also over the bar. It would be silly to cancel them in my view.

When I joined this club....the rollups were a life saver for me. Things just won't be as sociable/friendly/fun if they don't come back. I just don't want to play without the rollups....just barely hanging on as it is. The life-blood of the club......

I must be missing something but how can they stop you?

Edited 'cos I buggered up the quotations

Mandofred

Visit site
murphthemog said:

I must be missing something but how can they stop you?

Edited 'cos I buggered up the quotations
From doing what?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Organising a roll up.
Stop us organising a roll-up? At my place they couldn't - but they could cancel the tee times reserved for a roll-up with the club having had to implement tee booking for the pandemic. A lot will depend upon what the club (members) decide to do for life post-pandemic - whether we keep tee reservations system for social golf or go back to 'no tee booking'.

I don't know what is going to happen but what I do know is that the decision won't be made by committee plus the club golf and business management teams - it will have to go to a vote by the members and the debate will be 'vigorous'.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Its really quite simple

Estimate your rollup body count, if its 36 reserve 9 tee slots from 9 AM
early birds can still get out before, and still plenty of time afterwards

when the draw is done, someone fills in the name on the system so the track n trace knows who's with who

no reason why rollups need to stop

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't you reply "already had the jab" or wtte?
As far as i know it only accepts "decline" as a response - the message says "reply with 'decline' if you don't want the vaccination. You will continue to be contacted unless you have replied with decline".

You have to ring your surgery if you want to accept - which is another bugbear as it impossible to get through (HID has tried numerous times)

Mandofred

Visit site
Its really quite simple

Estimate your rollup body count, if its 36 reserve 9 tee slots from 9 AM
early birds can still get out before, and still plenty of time afterwards

when the draw is done, someone fills in the name on the system so the track n trace knows who's with who

no reason why rollups need to stop
There are plenty of people who really really really hate roll-ups. I can understand both sides of the argument....but a club has the right to run things as they want so.....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
BBC i player now require you to register, sign in and enter a code on another device, I can't find where to enter the code, I'm stumped :confused:
I did this ages ago by going to the BBC iPlayer website and registering there. Once my username was setup it cascaded to all my other devices I use to access iPlayer

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did this ages ago by going to the BBC iPlayer website and registering there. Once my username was setup it cascaded to all my other devices I use to access iPlayer.
I'm already registered and can view it on my laptop. But on my TV it asks me sign in, using my computer or phone on bbc.com/account/tv and enter the code shown on the tv screen. But there's nowhere to enter the code :confused:
Update, It wouldn't work using my computer, but strangely it worked using my mobile phone, all sorted (y)

Last edited:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
There are plenty of people who really really really hate roll-ups. I can understand both sides of the argument....but a club has the right to run things as they want so.....

Why do people at your club hate roll ups? Is it the times or days you play?

I hated roll ups at a previous club, but that’s because you couldn’t get out before them and you didn’t want to play behind them. I remember teeing off a number of times at 5am in summer because half the roll up started on the 1st and another half started on the 15th at 7.30. If you was on the 15th when they turned up they expressed their disgust.
Ladies used to do the same but start 1st and 3rd.
It was eventually stopped when I left so someone must of complained.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Roll ups are and always have been an integral part of the club. Their times are well publicised, open to anyone and usually very good for the bar and food takings. We have no plans at this time to re-introduce them while we are still using booked tee times. As soon as Covid gets confined to history and we can get back to normal I am sure roll-ups will be part of the future

D

Deleted member 3432

Roll ups are and always have been an integral part of the club. Their times are well publicised, open to anyone and usually very good for the bar and food takings. We have no plans at this time to re-introduce them while we are still using booked tee times. As soon as Covid gets confined to history and we can get back to normal I am sure roll-ups will be part of the future

You may find there are other members who have quite enjoyed getting a fair crack at the 'premium tee times' objecting to the 'regulars' getting their block booking back.

Or you may find 300 rocking up for the roll up which could be entertaining....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You may find there are other members who have quite enjoyed getting a fair crack at the 'premium tee times' objecting to the 'regulars' getting their block booking back.

Or you may find 300 rocking up for the roll up which could be entertaining....
Possibly. As I said and as the club say quite clearly on the website and in the clubhouse, they are welcome to all. I am sure there will be some that rock up at the same time as a roll up but common sense would suggest letting a four ball (or even two) ahead of a group won't cause too many issues. We'll see once we get rid of booked times

D

Deleted member 15344

I can see a lot of clubs that previously didn’t have tee time bookings sticking with them when they are no longer mandatory.

Roll ups at a lot of clubs do dominate the tee at times by turning en mass and some roll ups are very cliquey.

With tee bookings at these clubs then every single member gets the chance to play at those prime spots and it will certainly be interesting to see what happens at our place.

With tee bookings we have still managed to have our swindles but it’s good to know exactly when you are going to tee off instead of waiting in a queue. Can see mindsets at lots of clubs changing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see a lot of clubs that previously didn’t have tee time bookings sticking with them when they are no longer mandatory.

Roll ups at a lot of clubs do dominate the tee at times by turning en mass and some roll ups are very cliquey.

With tee bookings at these clubs then every single member gets the chance to play at those prime spots and it will certainly be interesting to see what happens at our place.

With tee bookings we have still managed to have our swindles but it’s good to know exactly when you are going to tee off instead of waiting in a queue. Can see mindsets at lots of clubs changing

I disagree. Not having booked teem times has always been a selling point of the club and I think (stand to be corrected) that it is part of the constitution and so would need to be voted in at the AGM. I don't think members would want it as a permanent feature and roll-ups are integral part of the club (including an annual roll up group team event to find the best roll up group of the year)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Agreed and most I've spoken to at ours would like the tee bookings to remain. The Club Captain however is at pains to tell everyone, everytime they're in earshot that as soon as it's possible that will stop. He of course plays in one of the many Saturday roll-up/swindles which basically mean if you don't play in them then don't bother unless it's dawn or dusk!