Progress update and friendly ears to bend

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dear Forum friends,

Having decided enough was enough with my swing, I booked in for a few lessons and accepted that whatever came I would accept with good grace and start to sort things out, as this is the last time I can bear making golf hard and not fun again in the cause of trying to be a half decent player.

I/we fixed up some basics, tweaked here and there, got my backwsing back to heath and discussed the general good and bad qualities of my swing.

Lesson no.4.......crunch time....... :(

I have video'd my swing enough to know that all the power is lost 3/4 of the way back to the ball, not exactly classic "casting" but certainly a collapse of everything good just before impact and a HUGE loss of power and zip through the ball. My pro felt this is crucial to improve if I'm going to hit it further and more importantly BETTER. Because the club shallows out and is on path way before the ball, I've developed a consistent strike, but it requires good timing and there is little margin for error as the club is never actually on a downward angle into the ball.

So, I have some drills and some thoughts to try. So far, I've given up a good few hours and ball money to go and work on things. BUT, it just doesn't seem to be getting any better. I'm not looking for sympathy or support, but what I would like to know is does anyone have any advice or ideas or words of wisdom? I just can't seem to be able to keep good angles (lag), I can't find a feeling for bringing the club back to the ball with the grip end leading and the head following behind, I just feel I'm getting no-where.

I watched a few videos, in one good one Nick Bradley talks about keeping the hands loose

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/videotips/searchresults/Irons/Strike-Irons-Pure/

argh... :mad: :mad:

anyone got any ideas...or shall I go and find a good pub and forget it all.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks bp. I'm going to enjoy these. I like the videojug guy - Rickard Strongert, he's so funny......and it makes me laugh the fact that he doesn't do the voice overs....

Can I have a swing like his too, please!!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another two hours today.....some good things.....and some genuine 200 yard 3 woods with range balls.....can't be all that bad.

Getting nicely on plane too.....really helps to have the visual aid.....getting some funny looks, even in bay 15 (right at the end)

Planesettingdevice.jpg

Wish I could go and play....like all you guys.... :(

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks bp. I'm going to enjoy these. I like the videojug guy - Rickard Strongert, he's so funny......and it makes me laugh the fact that he doesn't do the voice overs....

Can I have a swing like his too, please!!!

This is wear i learn everythin, i think i have seenall of his vids 5 times over. He makes golf clubs look like an extension of his arms.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see everyone is ignoring my invention......time will tell, but if things go to plan, I'll be back into single figures by the summer, lag or no lag!!

Who needs an explanar when you can have a piece of electrical duct pipe and a christmas tree base!!!

Seriously......could be the way to go......

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Great invention, Dave :)

Try this, but you'll need grass to work on it. Obviously you know you're getting almost no forward shaft lean and your divots are probably very shallow.

Set up to the ball, but stick a tee in the ground 6 inches in front of the ball. Make sure the tee is far enough in that you could play an iron off it if needs be. Then simply try to strike the tee out of the ground after the ball. you'll have to be approaching the ball hands leading to do this.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
a) thanks for mentioning the gadget.....I'm wondering if everyone thinks I'm crazy......but what could be better than actually checking your plane.....I though mine was perfect until a lesson, just goes to show?!!!

b) great drill, THIS is the kind of tip I'm after! BRAVO.
I've been divot free for months (as you can guess) and anything that helps with this is going to be gold to me....cheers M8