Ball spinners

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Out of interest to a sceptic and someone who has never considered this a "thing" how much difference is a mid-handicapper realistically going to see? I can't see how it can affect things like my putting when my strike is variable and same on my drives and irons
Add in blades of grass, spike marks, etc and it all seems pointless to me

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've used the salt solution.

The lightest point of the ball floats pointing directly up. You mark that point and draw a line. Putt with that line and the ball rolls light over heavy and not side by side so it should roll straight.

I was told by someone who got very into it that you could place the ball in different configurations on the tee to encourage a fade, draw, low shot, high shot etc. I'm not good enough to buy into that.
So with a single point how do you decide where to draw the line?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So with a single point how do you decide where to draw the line?

It doesn't matter what direction. The light point has the line over it and the heavy point is directly opposite. So as long as you start the low point rolling over high it works.

I don't know what difference it really makes. I get that any difference is minimal. But like everything with golf, if it gives you confidence that improvement is worth everything.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Out of interest to a sceptic and someone who has never considered this a "thing" how much difference is a mid-handicapper realistically going to see? I can't see how it can affect things like my putting when my strike is variable and same on my drives and irons
Do you read a 50 foot putt? Why when at your handicap you are unlikely to make it?

It's not for everyone and to be fair I haven't done it for a while either but if it saves one shot in a round then it's worth it.

And as said elsewhere, if it gives you confidence go for it.

Try it on one ball and see. You can do it with normal salt and water.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 'advantages' of a ball spinner v. the salt method

1 It is a lot quicker.
2 The ball spinner spins the ball up to a high RPM so it's like a gyroscope effect with the heaviest point being spun on the vertical axis in flight when ball is used on a course. This may happen any way to a hit ball but takes a while to achieve.

the 'againsts'

It can only be aligned for a ball on a tee and when using lift and place.
When the ball gets scuffed it is no longer balanced.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My thinking is I like a line on the ball to putt with so if something like this can be got for around 20 quid then surely it can only improve your putting. Or in my case give one less excuse for missing a putt lol

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you read a 50 foot putt? Why when at your handicap you are unlikely to make it?

It's not for everyone and to be fair I haven't done it for a while either but if it saves one shot in a round then it's worth it.

And as said elsewhere, if it gives you confidence go for it.

Try it on one ball and see. You can do it with normal salt and water.
Check out this vid of a brand new pro v 1

This has made my mind up. Just need to source one now for around what this guy paid