Professional Golf 2024

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The issue is LIV as it is exclusive.

The thing is, it isn’t.
Any player from any tour can attempt to qualify.

As time passes the arguments and reasons for maintaining division become increasingly tenous.

At some point, which in my opinion we passed a long time ago, there needs to be an agreement in place that re-unites the game so that all the best players can compete in The Majors, the Ryder Cup, Presidents cup etc.

Until that happens the people running those events are self harming their product.

Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I've given up trying to make sense of it - in the end money will win. Assuming McIlroy & Scheffler have got DPWT & PGAT 'leave' to play an exhibition match against exhibition tour players, there's no reason to really think why this exhibition match can't be 12 vs 12 or 16 vs 16 next year. The Rahm situation is bizarre, given the ultimate outcome, as is the Ryder Cup situation - qualifying rules change, the number & type of events needing to be played changed for McIlroy, the wildcard selection process changed etc. so there are tweaks to the qualifying criteria all the time. I understand the need in the past to protect the ET as far as possible, but it's becoming weaker (noting the Irish Open's weak field & it's not sold out, free tickets available at other Tour events, etc.) and the jewel in the crown is the Ryder Cup, I think it's time to protect it.

This, from 2016, is still true: "You want the 12 best players from Europe, regardless of where they play or where they live or what they choose to do with their lives," McIlroy told Sky Sports News HQ . "We need the 12 best players on the European Team to try and win the Ryder Cup."

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I've given up trying to make sense of it - in the end money will win. Assuming McIlroy & Scheffler have got DPWT & PGAT 'leave' to play an exhibition match against exhibition tour players, there's no reason to really think why this exhibition match can't be 12 vs 12 or 16 vs 16 next year. The Rahm situation is bizarre, given the ultimate outcome, as is the Ryder Cup situation - qualifying rules change, the number & type of events needing to be played changed for McIlroy, the wildcard selection process changed etc. so there are tweaks to the qualifying criteria all the time. I understand the need in the past to protect the ET as far as possible, but it's becoming weaker (noting the Irish Open's weak field & it's not sold out, free tickets available at other Tour events, etc.) and the jewel in the crown is the Ryder Cup, I think it's time to protect it.

This, from 2016, is still true: "You want the 12 best players from Europe, regardless of where they play or where they live or what they choose to do with their lives," McIlroy told Sky Sports News HQ . "We need the 12 best players on the European Team to try and win the Ryder Cup."

Another headache for the DPWT/PGAT

Laurie Canter is leading the Irish Open and could well earn a place on the PGAT next year, even though he’s a paid member of the LIV tour. His 12 month ban expires in February as long as he doesn’t play in either of the two remaining LIV events.

3 jabber

Visit site
The thing is, it isn’t.
Any player from any tour can attempt to qualify.

As time passes the arguments and reasons for maintaining division become increasingly tenous.

At some point, which in my opinion we passed a long time ago, there needs to be an agreement in place that re-unites the game so that all the best players can compete in The Majors, the Ryder Cup, Presidents cup etc.

Until that happens the people running those events are self harming their product.
The thing is, it is exclusive. Nobody can just pop in and out of LIV events when they feel like it because of the team element. If you join then you are committed to playing every event unlike PGA/DPWT where as long as you play the minimum required number of events you can basically jump between the tours as much as you like.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Another headache for the DPWT/PGAT

Laurie Canter is leading the Irish Open and could well earn a place on the PGAT next year, even though he’s a paid member of the LIV tour. His 12 month ban expires in February as long as he doesn’t play in either of the two remaining LIV events.
Should he make it, waiting a little bit doesn't seem much of a problem to me. IMO zero chance of him opting to play with LIV again this year.