Professional Golf 2024

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As you dont seem to want to take his word for it, how will you judge if he has got over it?
Strong performances and kicking on to a another major would be a strong indicator. If he is in contention and then struggles, or worse still reverts to having the one bad round that blighted his majors for a few years a little while back and I'd suggest he still has some scar tissue. I think we all accept winning a major isn't easy but I think McIlroy still carries more mental scar tissue than most and that must come into his thinking at some points

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
In Rory's defence, he'd done well to get himself into contention, Bryson was obviously struggling after his driver head broke during the warm up - but it wasn't the putt on 18 that cost Rory, it was his 2 over on the 2nd day - his characteristically poor round that prevents him from establishing a solid lead to protect.
The best golfer of the weekend won, with a tournament winning shot that lit up the closing stages.

I just hope he takes the Scottish Open as an opportunity to build something for Troon - would love to see MciLroy take the Claret Jug over to Ireland next tear as champion.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In Rory's defence, he'd done well to get himself into contention, Bryson was obviously struggling after his driver head broke during the warm up - but it wasn't the putt on 18 that cost Rory, it was his 2 over on the 2nd day - his characteristically poor round that prevents him from establishing a solid lead to protect.
The best golfer of the weekend won, with a tournament winning shot that lit up the closing stages.

I just hope he takes the Scottish Open as an opportunity to build something for Troon - would love to see MciLroy take the Claret Jug over to Ireland next tear as champion.
Nah, it was going long on 15 and the short putt on 16 that cost him, not 1 player in the field played all 4 rounds at par or better.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He will never forget and it will hurt him for ever. We have an annual society “major” with about 50 players each time that we have played for since around 1988. Fortunately I have my name on the trophy a couple of times. However, the thing I remember most from all the years is a 3 putt one year on the last green (36th hole) which meant I lost on count back. 😢

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rory has had 24 top 10 finishes in last 44 majors. Remarkable record.
I am assuming that is the best record of any current player. Can't think of too many (Scheffler???) to come close. The problem is the lack of a win and he's creating opportunities but there has to be a question, and one which the media have raised before, about his ability to get it done after so many near misses. Time ticks on for everyone so how many more chances will there be before the newer generation start to take over

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I am assuming that is the best record of any current player. Can't think of too many (Scheffler???) to come close. The problem is the lack of a win and he's creating opportunities but there has to be a question, and one which the media have raised before, about his ability to get it done after so many near misses. Time ticks on for everyone so how many more chances will there be before the newer generation start to take over
Scheffler: Top 10 finish in 11 out of last 17 majors.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great round by JT. Be interesting to see if he can keep it up considering his game has been in the doldrums for a while.