Professional Golf 2024

D

Deleted member 15344

I often think that these stories are the best ones in Pro Golf. The events close to the end of the season where players need such and such a finish to retain their card are often the tensest and most absorbing.

Very, very rich people becoming even richer can sometimes be unedifying.

Spot on

The make of the golf tours were great

100’s of players played in the events on both sides of the pond

There was the odd event both sides were it was loaded with a lot of the top players

But then the majors were the events where it’s the very best

All the other events are full of stories from Monday qualifiers, players trying to earn their cards , keep hold of them , careers being revived - the sport is always about more than just a handful of golfers

Fore Right

Visit site
Finding this PGA Tour event a hard watch.
No atmosphere, no big names apart from Finau and it feels like he is only there as defending champ.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Finding this PGA Tour event a hard watch.
No atmosphere, no big names apart from Finau and it feels like he is only there as defending champ.
Well it is an off week.
The big names have a rest ahead of PGA National next week, and the lesser names get a chance of success.
It’s what happens when a tour has a large field.
I’d suggest not watching if you don’t enjoy golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

I often think that these stories are the best ones in Pro Golf. The events close to the end of the season where players need such and such a finish to retain their card are often the tensest and most absorbing.

Very, very rich people becoming even richer can sometimes be unedifying.

Some other views of the moment

Fore Right

Visit site
Well it is an off week.
The big names have a rest ahead of PGA National next week, and the lesser names get a chance of success.
It’s what happens when a tour has a large field.
I’d suggest not watching if you don’t enjoy golf.
Pretty sure Rory said these off weeks with weak fields were a problem with the sport.
Think his quore was "surprised we have got away with it for so long"

For the record I love golf but sometimes it just isn't very good to watch.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Pretty sure Rory said these off weeks with weak fields were a problem with the sport.

The problem is, the weeks when they shouldn't have weak fields aren't particularly interesting either. But, no golf tour needs to be having an event pretty much every single week of the year, and once you split that tour into two separate tours which the PGAT have done, it just becomes confusing to the spectator as to which weeks they can expect to see the household names that draw the eyeballs.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The problem is, the weeks when they shouldn't have weak fields aren't particularly interesting either. But, no golf tour needs to be having an event pretty much every single week of the year, and once you split that tour into two separate tours which the PGAT have done, it just becomes confusing to the spectator as to which weeks they can expect to see the household names that draw the eyeballs.
Im not sure how you find it confusing. If you just look at the leaderboard, you can see whether its a strong field or second string.

D

Deleted member 15344

When did the PGAT split into two separate tours ?

The problem is some people only want to see events with a certain bunch of golfers.

They ignore the hundreds of other professional golfers playing on the tours

There are approx 300 each on the PGAT and ET that have levels of playing rights and it’s good that there events that allow other golfers to create their story - these “weaker events” as some like to keep calling them are the events that the up and coming newer generation get to make their break through

If you can’t see past 50 golfers then you will always be confused but thankfully many see other events and you can get stories like what we saw at Kenya this week - that’s about growing the game , a countries golfer become the first to make a cut at a main tour event - that’s what gets golf noticed in other countries

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Watched about 20 minutes of the Mexican Open last night. Just didn't grab me so I switched off. Didn't watch any of the Genesis last week because of Tiger overload. Might have to rethink my Sky Sports subscription.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site

I’d suggest only watching LIV and the elite field events in that case.
Let those who enjoy the other events watch them and comment if they like but without the negativity.

A bit like the positive thread you started for LIV.

I’m lucky, I like LIV, PGA and DWPT. I’ve not been watching this weeks golf, but didn’t feel the need to criticise it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I’d suggest only watching LIV and the elite field events in that case.
Why LIV in that case? Its number of top rank players is still very low in absolute terms.
While not 'elevated', and only half the purse of the big ones, the following few weeks PGAT, despite not have the full array of PGAT top brass, will still have more of them than any LIV weekend. By your logic, are they not a better recommendation than a LIV ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Remember folks the LPGA is on this weekend if you find the mens game a bit plugh 👍
In Thaliand though. Which doesnt suit most of us in Europe. One of the great advantages of having all top golf tournaments in the US is it syncing with the European prime time TV slot.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In Thaliand though. Which doesnt suit most of us in Europe. One of the great advantages of having all top golf tournaments in the US is it syncing with the European prime time TV slot.

Yeah I hate the US broadcast times, really doesn't suit my viewing

DP in africa and LPGA in Asia is about right

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Why LIV in that case? Its number of top rank players is still very low in absolute terms.
While not 'elevated', and only half the purse of the big ones, the following few weeks PGAT, despite not have the full array of PGAT top brass, will still have more of them than any LIV weekend. By your logic, are they not a better recommendation than a LIV ?
Because he likes LiV