Professional Golf 2024

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a sort of hushed respect that some American commentators, and even average American golf fans, give to past golfers of special note.

Ben Hogan was one of the first to be referred to in this way.
I can't help but think of Porridge when I hear them say this. 'Morning Mr Barraclough / Mackay ' 😄

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don't get how nobody noticed he wasn't there warming up or anything. What was his caddie doing??

Yeah - that's a good point. These golfers often talk about "my team" - you'd think there'd be an itinerary in place that has been discussed... "be at the course by 7, assess weather, range at 7.45 etc.."
Surely that's the minimum you'd expect from guys competing for multi million dollar purses.

Coincidentally I was talking to a lad who'd caddied a bit in the US this week, he was telling me that when people WD from events, it's often cos they know the drugs testers are on site - and they don't want to risk a negative test. That's probably not the case here of course, but it does seem a little bit odd. Mind you - Rory nearly did the same thing at a Ryder Cup.... 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah - that's a good point. These golfers often talk about "my team" - you'd think there'd be an itinerary in place that has been discussed... "be at the course by 7, assess weather, range at 7.45 etc.."
Surely that's the minimum you'd expect from guys competing for multi million dollar purses.

Coincidentally I was talking to a lad who'd caddied a bit in the US this week, he was telling me that when people WD from events, it's often cos they know the drugs testers are on site - and they don't want to risk a negative test. That's probably not the case here of course, but it does seem a little bit odd. Mind you - Rory nearly did the same thing at a Ryder Cup.... 😂
Definitely more to it than he just slept in. As you say, there's so much detail behind their process for tournaments that simply missing your tee time must be almost impossible. These guys are normally thinking about warming up two hours in advance or something.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Definitely more to it than he just slept in. As you say, there's so much detail behind their process for tournaments that simply missing your tee time must be almost impossible. These guys are normally thinking about warming up two hours in advance or something.

From my very limited experience, some are and some not so much

The rookies and those who believe they're climbing, in contention etc definitely put more time into their pre-round prep. The seasoned pros on the other hand are much more comfortable and know what they need to do & how long it'll take

Club golfer like us joins a new club and expecting a text for his first medal round tee time will be checking his phone every 5 mins
Someone who's been a member for 20years might not look until he wakes up

I think its a bit like the 1st years getting ready for first day of term hours early and the 6th form who know the drill inside out

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From my very limited experience, some are and some not so much

The rookies and those who believe they're climbing, in contention etc definitely put more time into their pre-round prep. The seasoned pros on the other hand are much more comfortable and know what they need to do & how long it'll take

Club golfer like us joins a new club and expecting a text for his first medal round tee time will be checking his phone every 5 mins
Someone who's been a member for 20years might not look until he wakes up

I think its a bit like the 1st years getting ready for first day of term hours early and the 6th form who know the drill inside out
He's still a professional who no doubt cares about his diet as well as doing a decent length warm-up. How far wrong would he have to get the tee time to not even be out of bed when he's supposed to be teeing off?? And as I mentioned, the caddie must have got it wrong as well somehow otherwise he'd be banging on the door asking him what's going on.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He's still a professional who no doubt cares about his diet as well as doing a decent length warm-up. How far wrong would he have to get the tee time to not even be out of bed when he's supposed to be teeing off?? And as I mentioned, the caddie must have got it wrong as well somehow otherwise he'd be banging on the door asking him what's going on.

I agree in this case the caddie wouldn't get the official text with the tee time unless the player sent it to him, but you'd think he'd be chasing for that info so he knew when to turn up himself

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He got the text that gave him his tee time but misread it.
I guess he told all his team the wrong time so nobody was worried.
It's not the tournament's job to make sure players are there on time so nobody was looking for him.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
He got the text that gave him his tee time but misread it.
I guess he told all his team the wrong time so nobody was worried.
It's not the tournament's job to make sure players are there on time so nobody was looking for him.

How do you misread

08:45

I'm struggling to buy his excuse. Additionally, all the tee times are published - so nobody in his team thought to check to see what time he was out - this is basic stuff that you'd have covered off if you are supposed to be a professional sportsperson.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you misread

08:45

I'm struggling to buy his excuse. Additionally, all the tee times are published - so nobody in his team thought to check to see what time he was out - this is basic stuff that you'd have covered off if you are supposed to be a professional sportsperson.
Agreed! Considering he hadn't left his hotel room according to the report, he must have misread it as 10:45. Seems impossible to me. Maybe he just had a raging hangover and slept through his alarms!