Playing in the rain tips!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
A group of us are off to St. Pierre on Sunday for an overnight stay.

The forecast for Sunday is looking quite good, the same can't be said about Monday with heavy rain forecast for most of the round (60% chance)

What are your tips for playing and preparing to play in the rain?

I have a pair of mactec rain gloves.
I'm thinking wear shorts with my waterproof trousers over the top.
I've got a rain cover for the bag.
Trolley has an umbrella holder.
I'll have a spare towel or too in the bag for drying off grips.
I've got a small dry bag/pouch to put wallet, car keys etc in.

Will have a change of clothes in the car ready for when we finish!

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you are using decent wet gloves then you don't need to worry about drying your grips. You may want to put valuables in a waterproof zip up bag (the type used for freezing food) or leave them in the car.

If you want really good grip then consider a pair of marigolds. I'm sure your mates won't take the mickey........

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It sounds like you're all set to be honest. I've just bought a waterproof cap as well to keep the rain off my face. I don't even own waterproof trousers though myself, I tend to wear shorts unless it's freezing as wet legs dry quicker than damp trousers and my legs don't really feel the cold. I have a pair of wet weather gloves but in fact I don't like the feel of wearing both of them, so I tend to just wear the left one of the pair. Obviously try and keep your grips as dry as you can.

Like you I just have the umbrella up on my trolley so that keeps most of the rain off, you just dive outside of it to take your shot each time. One tip I would offer for the actual golf - make sure you don't rush your shot because you want to get back under the umbrella! That's something I often fall foul of when it's tipping it down.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you have it done really, that is a good check list. I go one step further on the waterproofs front in that I wont wear shorts, just underwear, underneath them. You wouldn't wear shorts under normal trousers, why do it for waterproofs when you have no intention of taking them off? I find that more comfortable.

One thing I haven't done but would contemplate is getting a bucket hat. I really don't like the look of them but if they do the job.....Alternatively, put a spare cap in the bag and change after 9. That could be a me thing, I don't like the feeling of being wet.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Spare hat or two might be a good shout - I've got a rainproof bucket hat but I don't like wearing it :(

Also going to pack some newspaper to put in the golf shoes post round...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you have it done really, that is a good check list. I go one step further on the waterproofs front in that I wont wear shorts, just underwear, underneath them. You wouldn't wear shorts under normal trousers, why do it for waterproofs when you have no intention of taking them off? I find that more comfortable.

One thing I haven't done but would contemplate is getting a bucket hat. I really don't like the look of them but if they do the job.....Alternatively, put a spare cap in the bag and change after 9. That could be a me thing, I don't like the feeling of being wet.
This is the cap I ordered this week: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FG4MEOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you touched upon, I think bucket hats look ridiculous, but this should be a good alternative. I also hate having a wet head, so this cap plus the hood of my jacket should be good on rainy days.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As mentioned, if you have macwets, you won't need to dry the grips.
Use a towel to wipe your club face and ball before each shot (I assume it will be pick and place).
I use a thin pair of leggings under waterproofs, keeps my legs warm even if you get a bit of damp in (which is pretty much inevitable). Same applies for top layers - I use a couple of thin layers which reduces bulk but ensures that by the time any moisture has got through it's already at body temperature.
Just accept that if you're out for 4 hours swinging a club about in the rain then you're going to get a bit damp, hope that the showers are good and look forward to a warm bar.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are playing both days the doubling up on some things might be necessary. Eg if the water gets inside your golf shoes then they are unlikely to dry out within a day. Like you I normaly only wear waterproof trousers (over nicks in summer) and my ones are so waterproof that the rain often runs down them straight in to the my shoes which although waterproof in their own right do not stop that water that gets in over the sides.

D

Deleted member 21258

Shorter backswing.
Couple of hankies to keep whipping glasses with
Fishing rain hat
Wet gloves
Waterproof jacket
Lightweight trousers
Bag towels to keep wiping your clubs and balls witho_O
Waterproof sealed bag for your valuables

Try to keep the anger down to a level, that enables me to play golf...okay that's unlikely to be found and to be in the bag.:D

I feel for you, I am due to play on Monday and its meant to be heavy rain and strong winds, the perfect combination for golf.:(

Wolf

Visit site
Waterproofs, bucket hat, spare towel clipped up inside the umbrella, good pair rain gloves, spare socks for afterwards and all valuables left in the car nice and dry.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Shorter backswing.
Couple of hankies to keep whipping glasses with
Fishing rain hat
Wet gloves
Waterproof jacket
Lightweight trousers
Bag towels to keep wiping your clubs and balls witho_O
Waterproof sealed bag for your valuables

Try to keep the anger down to a level, that enables me to play golf...okay that's unlikely to be found and to be in the bag.:D

I feel for you, I am due to play on Monday and its meant to be heavy rain and strong winds, the perfect combination for golf.:(

I like that - nothing like a good bit of acceptance to help things go OK - it's raining - so let it.

Besides. With St Pierre just relish the beautiful surroundings; be thankful for the rain that makes the countryside and the trees so lush and green ; and have gratitude that you are so positioned in life to play golf - and in such lovely surroundings.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I prefer using a few old gloves than a mcwet.

I always keep a few extra old gloves in my bag, changing the glove every 3-4 holes normally works for me, may just be pyschological though, as when I have wet hands in mcwets I just THINK my hands will slip.

One towel on the outside of the bag, dry one on the inside.

Last tip - dont get hung up on wind or rain, or at least monaning about it, get in the right frame of mind, or prepare well (as your doing) and have a "just get on with it attitude" - It will getyou up on 70% of the field who dont want to be there. (y)