The Good, The Bad and The Useless (features)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They should certainly stop producing and selling them but a ban on use would just send them all to landfill
Play golf in Northumberland and chuck them all in our bins. Our non recyclable waste doesn't go into landfill, it goes into an incinerator that runs a power station. Win win 😄

sunshine

Visit site
Can I add plastic tees. They should be banned with immediate effect.

It would be interesting to do a study on this. Maybe the energy used to produce hundreds of wooden or bamboo tees that last a few holes exceeds the impact of manufacturing a couple of plastic tees that last years?

I have a couple of long plastic tees (not castle tees) that I started using after the first lockdown and I've still got them. I don't use them every round, but I'm still using them after 3 years. They are indestructible!

As for pink castle tees, I see them lying around on every tee. I don't understand who is buying bags of new pink castle tees, maybe it's people with bad backs who are unable to pick up their tee? They are everywhere. A bit like coins, there are probably enough in circulation already to keep a plentiful supply for the population, they could stop manufacturing them and we will be ok for decades.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would be interesting to do a study on this. Maybe the energy used to produce hundreds of wooden or bamboo tees that last a few holes exceeds the impact of manufacturing a couple of plastic tees that last years?

I have a couple of long plastic tees (not castle tees) that I started using after the first lockdown and I've still got them. I don't use them every round, but I'm still using them after 3 years. They are indestructible!

As for pink castle tees, I see them lying around on every tee. I don't understand who is buying bags of new pink castle tees, maybe it's people with bad backs who are unable to pick up their tee? They are everywhere. A bit like coins, there are probably enough in circulation already to keep a plentiful supply for the population, they could stop manufacturing them and we will be ok for decades.
Same here. I last bought pink castle tees about 4 years ago and I reckon I've got more now than I had then. 😂 I don't mind switching to bamboo tees but it'll be when I run out. In about a decade.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The useless; the M&S Christmas pack of 3 golf balls.

The bad; my eye sight when it comes to looking at the Garmin Watch.

The good; any day out on a course.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Hobbit just reminded me of one...
Useless:
Soooo many club scorecards that use a tiny size font for hole numbers, SI, par etc when the box is easily big enough to fit a doubling in size
Considering the huge older demographic that play golf it seems utter lunacy or perverse torture to do this 😡

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

I've got a massive bag of them. Anyone want some?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Good:
- follow trollies that allow you to walk while carrying your umbrella
- big ball alignment markers 😉
- shotscope gps/tracking watches
- range finders with slope
- all weather gloves and zoom tour golf gloves
- short sleeve waterproof tops
- being outdoors with mates

bad:
- umbrella holders. not sturdy enough to be used while walking. Not high enough for tall people
- items not built to last. FJ a prime example. I’ve stopped using their shoes as my last 4 pairs have had the. Soles peeling off!
- Christmas gifts grabbed off supermarket shelves by non golfers - emoji or refinish golf balls
- some rules like no relief from divots or unraked bunkers (amateur world issues)
- music speakers on golf courses

useless:
- bag zips. Theres always one that breaks.
- people who don’t rake bunkers, repair pitch marks or divots
- clubs who don’t remind guests to do it
- non adjustable handles on electric trollies

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Features of golf gear not whole items of gear in themselves, is what I believe the OP was getting at.

Good.
The extra large 15th hole on a Supadivida bag for a putter with a thick grip and/or large head that will rest on the then unused hole.

supadivida.jpg

Bad.
Turndown collars on golf shirts.
I can't see any need for two layers of the same material around my neck in warm weather.
And yet I am forced to wear them.

Useless.
Fifteenth hole on a Supadivida bag when you are allowed only fourteen clubs.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The good
Golf cards that you can write your score on.

The Bad
Buggy apps for scoring that you have to dig out your glasses to read, find some shade to avoid the glare and then discover that there is no signal or fat fingers mean you enter the wrong score.
Paper and pencil work although imperfectly when very wet.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Features of golf gear not whole items of gear in themselves, is what I believe the OP was getting at.

Good.
The extra large 15th hole on a Supadivida bag for a putter with a thick grip and/or large head that will rest on the then unused hole.

View attachment 48836

Bad.
Turndown collars on golf shirts.
I can't see any need for two layers of the same material around my neck in warm weather.
And yet I am forced to wear them.

Useless.
Fifteenth hole on a Supadivida bag when you are allowed only fourteen clubs.
It’s to put your ball retriever in. 🤪

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Good
Everything from the 80s (woods made from wood, blades and balatas, minimal if no marketing just experience and recommendations golf shoes that were longer lasting and more easily repairable than they ever needed to be).

Bad
Everything from the 90s (7.5 degree drivers, electric everything, mobile phones)

Useless
Everything from 2000 going forward. (Where to begin, mostly the replace not repair tatt that now passes as premium, close second confirmation bias from the internet).

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Good
80s
Ben Sayers Opel Line One Putter

Good
90s
Powerbilt Oversize 2&3 irons
Diawa Trypower TCS Blades 4-PW
Cleveland Classics 691 SW 58°

Good