Playing from the wrong tee - what would you do?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Telling a player he is about to tee off from the wrong teeing ground is most certainly not advice. Information on the rules is NOT advice.

It's not so much a matter of the rules, it is simply a matter of fact. "S'cuse me guv', we're not playing off that tee" is a statement of fact and therefore not advice.

Answers to OP - No and yes.

I recall once watching a player tee off the wrong tee (yellow instead of white), and then, with a shout of "young male cows" , warning the next player about it - to his gratitude. However, the annoyance of the other was tempered (slightly) because he'd only copied what I'd done a moment before him...

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would find it pretty difficult to continue the round with someone like that. I would already be peed off with myself for making a stupid error like that but knowing that one of the other players in the group could have stopped me but didn't (for his own gratification!) would have made for a very awkward rest of the round.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would find it pretty difficult to continue the round with someone like that. I would already be peed off with myself for making a stupid error like that but knowing that one of the other players in the group could have stopped me but didn't (for his own gratification!) would have made for a very awkward rest of the round.
agree with this .
I have actually walked of the course once because of pp gamesmanship told him to stick it up his a**e if he had to resort to that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I remember it well, you swines, BTW the tees were side by side.:(

I knew I had done it but couldn't remember when :)

My comment is that original poster may have misconstrued what his PP actually said and meant - because as with yourself Billy - I watched you play off the wrong tee and only then realised what you had done - doh!

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No and yes

Someone in our regular roll up did the same on a putt - let the chap hit the wrong ball and called the penalty immediately.

I do wonder at times.....

Can feel the ongoing animosity if they are waiting at the same time - never mind if drawn together.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Very poor form on his part...an exaggerated cough and a raised eyebrow and problem solved surely and no one gets embarrassed or p*****d off...on a society day too.......

id go for the brolly actually...he'd have a job removing that and you wouldn't really miss it or have to clean it.every club has one sadly...ours beat me in singles QF 3 yrs ago not that I'm bitter or think about it often! An uncomfortable 3.5 hrs I can tell you......

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd say to OP - assume that your PP noticed - but just didn't twig what you were doing and didn't manage to stop you in time. Whether that was the case or not - it does not matter. In your head forgive him for his mistake; don't diss him among your friends and other members; and next time you see him don't blank him but exchange greetings. Always the better way that than holding resentments.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd say to OP - assume that your PP noticed - but just didn't twig what you were doing and didn't manage to stop you in time. Whether that was the case or not - it does not matter. In your head forgive him for his mistake; don't diss him among your friends and other members; and next time you see him don't blank him but exchange greetings. Always the better way that than holding resentments.

I would love to take your attitude to this, but sadly I could not, assuming as stated by the OP - that he knew what was happening. How VERY VERY sad that someones need to win overrides sportsmanship and common decency

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Happened to me playing with a new member ,strangers to each other but we were having a lovely round of golf , on our 16th you have to wait for a bell , as we were waiting the group behind , established long time members arrived at the tee , we were off whites & the green tees were directly in line with them ,

new member had the honour, teed off the wrong side , ball was still in the air when guy said what course ye lads playing ,, thats 2shots lad ..
Had 2 other incidents with same member afterwards , both times i put him back in his box , hasnt happened since

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a society event at a top club yesterday off their yellow tees. One hole I inadverdently went off the whites as I always play from them at my home club. One of my playing partners has been watching me the whole time, waits until I have hit and then calls the penalty on me. He was fully aware what I was about to do and never said a word. The third member of our group simply had not noticed and was really apologetic.

Two questions.

1. Would you ever let a fellow competitor tee off like that and then nail them?
2. Was I justified in inserting my 3-wood up his rectum without any kind of anesthetic and then twisting it violently?

Shocking! Golf is meant to be fun and you get people like that, knowing the rules but choosing to apply them at the time it benefits them (see thread on rules night 👀).

Reminds me of the Nick Faldo - Sandy Lyle story from the late 70's

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I knew I had done it but couldn't remember when :)

My comment is that original poster may have misconstrued what his PP actually said and meant - because as with yourself Billy - I watched you play off the wrong tee and only then realised what you had done - doh!

Fortunately karma prevailed, Turkish ( I think ) and me won the day.:ears::rofl:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stopping someone breaking the rules is in everyones best interest.

Who hasn't witnessed someone stopping someone hitting a tee shot when they have pegged their ball fractionally in front of the tee markers?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just to clarify, this guy knew exactly what I was about to do and that it was going to cost me two shots and let it happen anyway. I accept I made the mistake and took the penalty. But this guy could have told me at any time before I hit the shot. Believe me, his card is marked. Karma is a wonderful thing sometimes.

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just to clarify, this guy knew exactly what I was about to do and that it was going to cost me two shots and let it happen anyway. I accept I made the mistake and took the penalty. But this guy could have told me at any time before I hit the shot. Believe me, his card is marked. Karma is a wonderful thing sometimes.

Disgraceful! Golf is supposed to be competitive and friendly. Respect for the course, rules and your playing partner(s) is paramount.

I would have handed him his card and left him on his own to enjoy playing by (with) himself. I would not play him again in a society match either and would advise others likewise. If I were drawn against him in a club or open comp, then I'd play but would watch him like a hawk.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
No i would never want to win a hole or match by doing something like that and would hate for someone to do it to me.

I can see why you got upset it's a pretty lousy thing to do.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't get stuff like this, absolute cretin. Why would you intentionally try ruin someone's game/day by penalising someone who's made a mistake which could have been sorted by a nod and a wink!! Disgusting behaviour.

Yes you made the mistake but it could have been sorted.

Hope it bites him on the r's in one of his games.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would love to take your attitude to this, but sadly I could not, assuming as stated by the OP - that he knew what was happening. How VERY VERY sad that someones need to win overrides sportsmanship and common decency

OP has to be 100% sure that it was deliberate. He says it was but...see myself and @WilliamAlex

Forgiving is not always easy and often not at all what I want to do - but for me it is alwaysthe right thing to do.

Three years ago I accidentally hit a tee shot past a member and quite (not even very) close to him - from a distance I could hear him giving me all sort of verbal abuse. I apologised as best I could from a distance.

Got to the green he was on the next tee. He was continuing to mutter all sorts of profanities about me - and towards me - knowing I could hear him. I just said something like - 'I am sorry - I didn't see you - and have apologised - and I don't think your language is appropriate' and left it there. Three years later he still refuses to speak with me - but any time I see him I mutter a 'how's things?' he doesn't respond. But I forgive him for his language and attitude. I have done all I can do to mend fences - they are now all his problems not mine.

My approach if I were the OP would be to give the guy the opportunity - on an ongoing basis - to apologise to me - but importantly not hold any resentments towards the guy myself.

Last edited:

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
No and yes!

Happened to me many years ago at an Open event in Chichester. I teed off between a light-coloured sprinkler head and one of the markers, and just as in the OP, my fellow competitor let me do it before instantly telling me.

The outcome?

1) I was so angry I actually played out of my skin for the remaining 10 holes and won the handicap event

2) There was zero conversation between the two of us for the remaining two and a half hours

3) We did not share pleasantries in the bar afterwards

Still rankles 20 years down the line :angry:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No and yes!

Happened to me many years ago at an Open event in Chichester. I teed off between a light-coloured sprinkler head and one of the markers, and just as in the OP, my fellow competitor let me do it before instantly telling me.

The outcome?

1) I was so angry I actually played out of my skin for the remaining 10 holes and won the handicap event

2) There was zero conversation between the two of us for the remaining two and a half hours

3) We did not share pleasantries in the bar afterwards

Still rankles 20 years down the line :angry:

You can tell! I agree with all the others though and it seems so wrong. Hopefully what goes round......