Playing from the wrong tee - what would you do?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played a society event at a top club yesterday off their yellow tees. One hole I inadverdently went off the whites as I always play from them at my home club. One of my playing partners has been watching me the whole time, waits until I have hit and then calls the penalty on me. He was fully aware what I was about to do and never said a word. The third member of our group simply had not noticed and was really apologetic.

Two questions.

1. Would you ever let a fellow competitor tee off like that and then nail them?
2. Was I justified in inserting my 3-wood up his rectum without any kind of anesthetic and then twisting it violently?

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1. On a Society day, no not really. that's not really the done thing is it? Something similar happened to me on a corporate day but we let it go as we were having a good, friendly day. But, I must admit, that the devil in me might not say anything if it was a competition.

2. Agree with the above - putter would have been a better option and easier to clean.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
1. No I would always say something and would 100% expect others to do the same, golf is an honest game and if the guy knew he could call a penalty over such a thing and stood and watched you do it he is a complete **se. I would even correct someone if they were about to take the honour in a matchplay competition if they were in the wrong, even though I could ask them to replay their shot if they hit a good one, it's really just poor etiquette in my opinion and not the way golf should be played.

2. I would definitely tell the guy what I thought of him and would be watching very carefully if he wanted relief from anything.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great feedback guys! The "bar steward" who did this was a single figure player so no beginner. The only rules question I had was "it legal to play a shot with part of someone's small intestine smeared across the face of your club"

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1) Would never knowingly let anyone break any rule then call them for it.

2) I'd do nothing except make a mental note about it.

I assume the white tees were further than 2 driver lengths back from the yellow tees?

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
I can understand your frustration however you tee'd off the wrong tee box not him.
I've had to call this penalty on someone before because I witnessed them tee off on another tee - to which he accepted it as face value.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
My understanding of this that you would be receiving advice if a competitor told you what you were about to do. I had this in a comp and I took it on the chin but I have to say I was pissed! At myself and him.

I have also had friends make comments like, "It would be easier from the yellows" to people in order to make them look up or whatever.

No & Yes

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Question for OP. Did your PP say that he saw you were about to tee off from the whites and that he realised your by mistake and chose to not tell you? Baaaaaad PP - Very Disappointed player

I myself have done a similar thing - spotting a PP about to play off the wrong tee but not twigging in time to stop him - I didn't twig as he was first to play. Disappointed and embarrassed PP - Unlucky player

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would always mention it, and have done. But normally by dropping a subtle hint such as 'You playing a shorter hole than us?' or similar depending on situation

It's always done as a mistake and never intentional. What a B***bag

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In the back of my mind I thoughts that in the event a ball is not Teed correctly an oponent could just ask for the shot to be replayed.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's giving advice as the tee for the competition is public knowledge...or however they phrase it. Matchplay you can ask your opponent to re-take the shot, which you might do if it's a good one!!

I was playing in the County Champs one year and a fc almost teed of outside the red markers on the 18th. Without hesitation I shouted "stop" when I noticed and would never dream of not telling her...

Poor show in his part.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
My understanding of this that you would be receiving advice if a competitor told you what you were about to do. I had this in a comp and I took it on the chin but I have to say I was pissed! At myself and him.

I have also had friends make comments like, "It would be easier from the yellows" to people in order to make them look up or whatever.

No & Yes

Telling a player he is about to tee off from the wrong teeing ground is most certainly not advice. Information on the rules is NOT advice.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Awful sportsmanship on his part for not telling you you were about to make a mistake. (And I agree with what others have said: it's not giving advice if you tell someone he is about to break a rule.)

I would have been in a really foul mood after something like that.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has only happened to me once and I told my fellow competitor that he was in the wrong tee so he was able to move to the correct tee and thus avoid a 2 shot penalty.

Would be annoyed if some half wit watched me make the same mistake and deliberately didn't say anything so he could call a penalty.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Question for OP. Did your PP say that he saw you were about to tee off from the whites and that he realised your by mistake and chose to not tell you? Baaaaaad PP - Very Disappointed player

I myself have done a similar thing - spotting a PP about to play off the wrong tee but not twigging in time to stop him - I didn't twig as he was first to play. Disappointed and embarrassed PP - Unlucky player

I remember it well, you swines, BTW the tees were side by side.:(

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No and yes.

Bet he felt really smug after he had said it aswell. Class A clown IMO.
A society meet is like a fun day out with the guys from work or something right?