Playing alone with 1 club

JRS7

Visit site
Is this bad etiquette? The club has 2 courses and one is a beginner course (9 holes). I'm beginner level right now (shoulder surgery). Is it bad form to carry a few balls and tees and just use one club? Don't want to embarrass the club! If so I won't play. My golfing partners have all given up! All 4 of them!

N.B. I would be putting with an iron. Most likely a 7 iron I would use

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If people deem it bad etiquette, they are bad people.

Be interesting to know how you score tbh, it'll certainly hel develop facets of your game.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some clubs have a rule that you must have a bag, but I've never seem the number of clubs specified.
I could see people having a concern about putting with a 7 iron if you were more likely to damage the green.

John Evans 9

Visit site
If you are on your own and the course is clear then obviously no problem. But if you book a tee slot and others join you then I imagine they would be extremely irritated. Don’t you have a practice ground ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don’t see an issue with it. Me and a pal played a 1 club challenge a couple of months ago, made no difference to pace of play and we actually both scored pretty well. Was a bit boring though!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I've been meaning to do this for some time, will probably do it this winter, maybe just for 9 holes. I can't see why the club would have a problem with you doing it though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club has the rule that the player must have a bag.

I often play on our 9 hole course with just 2 clubs.

I got a bit of a ticking off for not using a golf bag because we do not not players sharing a bag and it was being commented by some pay and play people about seeing players without bags.

I too would have concern about putting with seven iron. Putting with an iron is about hitting the middle of the ball with leading edge and ensuring the club does not make contact with the putting surface, quite a skill for a beginner.

Jason.H

Visit site
I’m assuming you’re a member or paying for your round. Last year we had a couple of lads with one club walk on from the estate next to the course and we’re hitting balls off the green with an iron. It would look odd or out of place imo.

RichA

Visit site
Not sure how a putting stroke with a 7-iron is any more likely to damage the surface than the same stroke with a putter, the head of which weighs 50% more and doesn't have any bounce.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
“I would blade it on the green. No chance of damage”

There’s the rub.

We’ve all mis-struck in the past, be that on the green or off it, and any green keeper worth their salt watching anyone of any standard using a wedge or iron on the green is going to have a word (regardless of the talent of the individual involved - and perhaps more for the contentment of the members than out of genuine concern for the turf).

Just carry a putter too. End of issues imo

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I often play at a par 3 course with one club when I go with the boy.

It’s good fun trying to manufacture different shots with the same club.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Mrs Wedge had a frozen shoulder for the best part of last year, she played golf with just a 7 iron for the whole of last winter. Every shot with a 7, once her shoulder started to free up and move again this spring, her game had come on leaps and bounds, especially her ball striking. She would get some surprised comments from players watching her tee off on the first, but no one had any issue with it, nor should they.

oleinone

Visit site
Got to ask why your playing partners have given up? If it's because you aren't able to advance the ball, practice and lessons on the range/practice ground might be a better use of your time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a short 9 hole practise course I don't see why anybody would be bothered. On the full course maybe a different story.