Paul Runyan - chip and run method...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funny you see them as exaggerated faults. I see it as an improvement on a tried and tested method.

Go and try it before you knock it. Already a few people who have woken up to this.

I don't see the specifics as the fault, talking about the faults that cause people to want to fix their chipping.

I have little doubt I could get this hitting decent chip shots but I think solid fundamentals described give the benefit and the extra stuff is marginal at best.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't see the specifics as the fault, talking about the faults that cause people to want to fix their chipping.

I have little doubt I could get this hitting decent chip shots but I think solid fundamentals described give the benefit and the extra stuff is marginal at best.

What does this even mean.

All I've done is posted a pga hall of famer's chipping technique. He was short off the tee but by all accounts a legend around the green. It's up to you if you want to listen to his wise words.

Many on here have tried the traditional and solid fundamentals that you speak of and failed to improve. This might help. If it does help one person then happy days. It doesn't need any negativity.

I will ask again, have you tried it?

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put it into play yesterday with immediate results.

Several queries along the lines of 'how do you play that shot' in the bar.

Winner :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's great to hear. Did you get to try it from tight lies and semi?

As I have only have limited practice time so far, I felt more comfortable gettin the handle really upright sitting in semi rough. The toe picking the ball out nicely.

D

Deleted member 3432

Pete Cowan is an advocate of the vertical shaft for chipping. Started using this this method a couple of seasons ago and the consistancy of strike has improved.

Have a look at Cowan's 'butterfly' grip for bunker shots, simple to understand and it works.

Pancho Villa

Hacker
Visit site
Hi guys first post from a long time lurker! Just got back from our June Medal and used this chip and run method.i was really pleased with nice crisp chips with good roll.Best chipping for a long time and finished with a net 71 for buffer

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
What does this even mean.

This might help. If it does help one person then happy days. It doesn't need any negativity.

I completely get your point and the method.

I just don't think I have been able to communicate my point very well which has not generated the discussion I intended. Totally my fault for not being able to convey my point.

I will be trying to inplement many points from his videos , of course. I can see many things I know I should be doing but are currently not. This videos explain some fundamentals quite well.

It's pretty much the grip and a few minor things I won't be as I see them as not being beneficial.

I would love to have a face to face practice green discussion on this, would be a heck of a lot of fun debating all the pros and cons of various methods. No doubt I would learn a few things.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Exactly bud.

Dont dismiss the differnt grip. It has huge benifits. Try it out. Let me know how you get on. Good or bad.

Litteraly can't see you not getting some improvement from it.

Nothing to lose.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing to lose.

I do also take bobs point, I am working hard on the fundamenals at the moment. I see them as the key to a better game.

Grip is a big thing for me as it is going to allow a better position at the top of the backswing, my poor grip is pushing my right elbow out like that old irish pro did...

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Simon Holmes used to have a website and his chipping method was upright club heel off the ground but I cannot recall the grip adjustment being part of it.

Doubt that was used by Faldo when he was coaching him !

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Certain grip positions have merits in the full swing as it tends to have the face either open or closed. It's why we either strengthen or weaken the grip a touch from neutral depending on what shot shape you are getting.

The beauty of the this grip and raised handle is it keeps the face square for as long as

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having tried this a bit more, including on the course I can confirm it is indeed possible to hit bad shots with this method. There is no doubt it is a valid method but it isn't a miracle cure. I'm sure with practice I could make it work, but then with practice I'm sure I can make any method work. To be honest, this method feels awkward when compared to more traditional methods.

I think I actually stumbled across the root of my issues yesterday...watch this space...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Very interesting.

I personally think that chipping is the best part of my game, especially around the greens, which it has to be as I don't hit anywhere near enough greens in regulation so it's my chipping that gets me my pars and nett pars to keep me in the round.

However, if anything can improve even the smallest areas of our game then it's well worth the effort and giving it a go.

Good post & thread 👍⛳️

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Decided to use this feel today...didnt bother with the grip etc, but the feel of the toe being 'down' at address, and early indications show decent results. Got up and down from a variety of lies and variety of shots. Will stick with it for a bit for sure!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having tried this a bit more, including on the course I can confirm it is indeed possible to hit bad shots with this method. There is no doubt it is a valid method but it isn't a miracle cure. I'm sure with practice I could make it work, but then with practice I'm sure I can make any method work. To be honest, this method feels awkward when compared to more traditional methods.

I think I actually stumbled across the root of my issues yesterday...watch this space...

What is the root problem? Would love to get a look at your chipping action.

I think a good thing to do is to get set up as previously mentioned, the take a few strokes brushing the turf. I find this makes sure I don't make a Duffy contact.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got back from england in good time so me and lads nipped out for 13 holes.

Used this 3 times and it was so easy. Clipped one over a bunker to 3 feet with my 56. 8i run up the slope again to a couple of feet tap in. Even a 60 with very little green to work with in to 4 feet.

Absolutly delighted. This is taking my short game to the next level. Simplicity in itself.

For those dipping their toes in, try to work with the grip. It's a key element. Maybe you don't need to go as extreme as I do but do try slightly weak left, stronger right.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;vKRHU9wUCLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKRHU9wUCLs[/video]

Luke Donald adjusts his grip. He has a fairly neutral grip for full shots and even he changes it for these types of shots.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a lesson with Brian Ridley up at Beamish a couple of months back, where he got me to stand taller, have the shaft more vertical and use in effect a putting style stroke to chip the ball, he told me that:-

1. I stood to wide
  2. I had the ball too far back
  3. The shaft was leaning too far forward
  4. I generally stood too far from the ball.

So, with chipping my feet are not much more than a club head width apart, the ball is inline with my trouser zip, so central, shaft is central and I stand closer to the ball which in turn means the club is pushed forward more vertical with the heel off the ground as a few have mentioned above.

In addition to chipping like this now, I also try to use when possible the Runyan rule of 12's