Paul Runyan - chip and run method...

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Late to the party on this thread but it looks of considerable interest to me as I am a bit flaky when chipping.

Gary, how far out could it be used? (I mean with a clear line to the flag and not having to fly a bunker etc. 10-15 yards?) Although in your own first video from that green-side position I'd be happy to putt and expect to get a pretty good percentage of up and downs plus even the odd hole out.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
this is something that has been around & used for a good bunch of time (something have spoken to in short game posts before - & pretty sure it's a topic 'bobmac' has mentioned before also)

in essence it's all just about havin the club that's been used in a more upright vertical shaft position - so more echoes a putting stroke as folks have to stand a little closer to the ball - so can utilize more of a putting hold & in doin so it helps take the wrist action out of the 'smaller stroke length ' while also making the clubhead movement have less curvature in the arc of travel so could also help folks who tend to as a habit whip the club too far inside

but it's only for sure about the smaller chip distances off of the green - it's not a technique to fly obstacles where you need the wrists to set & release

some folks even use this technique with their putting stroke to help eliminate wrist action - so standing tad closer to ball shaft more vertical with the heel off of the ground as doin so arches (ulnar deviation) & more 'locks out' wrist involvement
probably highest profile user of this in putting is Stricker

with this chipping method also got to take care with the lie of the ball in terms of slope
with the heel up toe down can easy snag the toe from uneven lies
also got to assess with some care if dealing with various depths of rough whether this method is the best choice

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Late to the party on this thread but it looks of considerable interest to me as I am a bit flaky when chipping.

Gary, how far out could it be used? (I mean with a clear line to the flag and not having to fly a bunker etc. 10-15 yards?) Although in your own first video from that green-side position I'd be happy to putt and expect to get a pretty good percentage of up and downs plus even the odd hole out.

I just took this video at the putting green to show the technique. You could putt those all day long.

I am just back from another round therefore a little more time using this and I can confirm its the best thing since sliced bread.

I had the opportunity to use a 7, pw and even 60 today. Worked brilliant every time.

Sure, if you are 15 yards from the green and nothing in front, there is nothing to stop you using this technique and clip it up there using anything from 4 iron up. a video that was on YouTube but since deleted showed Jim furyk doing just that.

The best thing though is to select the club that lifts the ball onto the surface so you can predict the line and just swing a little harder for distance like you would on a long putt.

I came up short to a front pin today. Say 5 yards on and I was maybe the same away. I just lifted it onto the surface with a 60 and it tickled up to the hole.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Me chipping using the method I described above

[video=youtube_share;B-5GE0a6cPI]https://youtu.be/B-5GE0a6cPI[/video]

That looks pretty tidy but you are missing the added benefit of Runyan's grip. This is evident on that left wrist breaking down.

As coach says there, the wrist gets locked out by the grip. There is no breaking down.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah the left wrist and the slight scooping action, is an old flaw of mine, Brian did notice that as well during the lesson but wasn't to concerned. The idea is that you keep the V shape in your arms, which is easier said than done with a old ingrained fault, but it is getting better.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here is Mr Watson getting in on the act. He says he got it from watching Ray Floyd.

[video=youtube;3CRtyUf_Ks4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CRtyUf_Ks4[/video]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;0Xbx3Putg2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xbx3Putg2Y&t=3s[/video]

Chris Ryan showing this simple technique.

Its been around 8 weeks since I've started using this type of shot. Feels like its been a part of my game forever.