Paul Runyan - chip and run method...

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the results are good for you then why not because it doesn't really matter what method is used as long as you do get the result your looking for.

I have never seen a pro although there probably are some that use it.

I have not got a clue what method I use but I can safely say I am a really good chipper because I practice chipping so much.
I can go down our range and do 150-300 chips from all areas and recently during games I have holed out a few times,it really does whatever method you use come down to practice.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If the results are good for you then why not because it doesn't really matter what method is used as long as you do get the result your looking for.

I have never seen a pro although there probably are some that use it.

I have not got a clue what method I use but I can safely say I am a really good chipper because I practice chipping so much.
I can go down our range and do 150-300 chips from all areas and recently during games I have holed out a few times,it really does whatever method you use come down to practice.

I agree, I have been practicing my chipping a fair bit in the garden of late... not had to chip on the course much recently though

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;z_d09TXNtkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_d09TXNtkc[/video]

The golf monthly boys know where its at.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree, I have been practicing my chipping a fair bit in the garden of late... not had to chip on the course much recently though

Good posture is important no matter what technique you use. It's something even linear advocates.

Btw homer, Paul Runyan is a big advocate of standing square to all chips. You could say he is the god father of linear. Only difference being he locks the wrists and hits down and gary smith is all wrist and flicky.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;z_d09TXNtkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_d09TXNtkc[/video]

The golf monthly boys know where its at.

I always find GM videos way too short he could add where he is trying to land it and how much roll out he is expecting.

So many players mess up this easy shot because they feel the need to look at the hole,all that needs to be done is to chip to your landing spot and with practice with each club you will understand how much roll out you will get.

By the way I'm no expert and far from perfect but I don't duff chips from perfect lies either.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If using a LW, will it go in the air?

Lob wedge will obviously go higher than any other club. Been in the garden just now with my 60. Albeit off longish mossy grass so easy to hit under it.

Runyan says to put the ball further back as you go up in loft to ensure a downward blow.

Yes toe side strike.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Love that roll out chart at the end such an important aspect.

And with the lie angle, do you aim to hit it out the toe?

Waiting on my 3pm tee time so made a quick video in the garden to answer this.

[video=youtube;dE1hKWsYJEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1hKWsYJEA[/video]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here is azinger chatting about toe pitching. Beautiful little shots he's playing here.

Obviously not the same type of shot but same advice. Toe good, heel bad.

[video=youtube;Gd7kRjdvVAU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd7kRjdvVAU[/video]

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone ever tried using a 7/8 iron to chip with, but using all the fundamentals of your putting stroke, grip, ball position etc.

Have a practice and if you are struggling with your chip and run shots you might be surprised.

D

Deleted member 16999

Has anyone ever tried using a 7/8 iron to chip with, but using all the fundamentals of your putting stroke, grip, ball position etc.

Have a practice and if you are struggling with your chip and run shots you might be surprised.
I use them all the time as my go to clubs, my issue is is that sometimes I arc the shot, going to give this a try to straighten out my shots.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I practise this method but not with the extreme grip tho. My toe strikes are toe strikes, virtually on the grooveless part of the club, it comes out very dead but it runs, great for downhill shots. I even do full cut pitch shots of 10-20yds and strike it out of the toe and still get it to spin and stop. Great shot to have, but hard to master.