Paul Runyan - chip and run method...

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good posture is important no matter what technique you use. It's something even linear advocates.

Just out of interest why are you so set on linear?

I have watched some of your vlogs and you seem to have a lot of trouble around the greens

All the best chippers I know at my club would have no idea what linear is, they just play the best shot for the moment

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One thing I noticed between the first video and the Paul Runyan one, Runyan didn't mention the straightening of the shaft, also you didn't straighten the shaft in your video as much as the first one, did you try it more upright, if you did, did it change the result?

As I mentioned earlier I struggled with the concept of having the shaft vertical. I took this video literally 20 minutes after trying it. I suppose its personal preference how much you stand it up but its certainly beneficial to get the back and through stroke that gives the straight shot.

Its easier to stand it up even straighter when the ball is sitting in semi rough.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can see a lot of merit in it. I'll stick with linear but if it works then why not. Watched the videos and it's actually something someone once showed me and I did use it a few years back for a short while

There is still light. Try this in your back garden now with an 8 iron and report back. :thup:

D

Deleted member 16999

As I mentioned earlier I struggled with the concept of having the shaft vertical. I took this video literally 20 minutes after trying it. I suppose its personal preference how much you stand it up but its certainly beneficial to get the back and through stroke that gives the straight shot.

Its easier to stand it up even straighter when the ball is sitting in semi rough.
Hopefully will try it tomorrow, particularly like the aspect of it running straight, I often aim off as at times my chipping/pitching does arc left and right as mentioned in first video, was hoping you had tried the shaft in different positions to see what was most effective, your video had the balls you played quite close together.

How awkward do the hands feel?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There is still light. Try this in your back garden now with an 8 iron and report back. :thup:

Going to club tomorrow night for some chipping and putting practice anyway so will give it a whirl then. As I said, something someone showed me many moons back and I tried. Not sure we actually changed the grip though which you seem to think is a game changer so wondering if I got mixed results as a result and binned it. I'll come back to you tomorrow although linear showing definite improvement now I'm working on it regularly

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hopefully will try it tomorrow, particularly like the aspect of it running straight, I often aim off as at times my chipping/pitching does arc left and right as mentioned in first video, was hoping you had tried the shaft in different positions to see what was most effective, your video had the balls you played quite close together.

How awkward do the hands feel?

I just tried to get the shaft as vertical as possible while still being comfortable. Took a little while to get it.

The grip itself is a mile away from my full shot one. Did it for just over an hour at the chipping green. Then around an actual green with my mate for a while and feels great now. I think the results breed confidence in it.

Chipping with my mate at the 17th. I was reading the green as if I was putting on it chipping from a hill just over the back and most chips looked like them had a chance if I hit them hard enough to get to the hole. Mind set is changing from get it close to hole it. :rofl:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Going to club tomorrow night for some chipping and putting practice anyway so will give it a whirl then. As I said, something someone showed me many moons back and I tried. Not sure we actually changed the grip though which you seem to think is a game changer so wondering if I got mixed results as a result and binned it. I'll come back to you tomorrow although linear showing definite improvement now I'm working on it regularly

Good man. Give it a video too to see if you have the technique down. Remember those key points from the first post.

Good :thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've adopted the heel off the ground style for chipping from heavier rough in recent weeks and it works well. I also have lifted the putter shaft up straighter for short tap ins and that has stopped extra movement of the hands as it locks the wrists so I've no reason to think it wouldn't work with chipping. I will try the different hand position on the grip when I play today and see what sort of results I get.

I was at US Open qualifying on Monday and especially watched the pro's chipping methods as I need to improve mine. There weren't any quirky methods on show although there were many variations, broke wrists v stiffer wrists etc etc but the most noticeable thing was, because of their confidence, they just came through smoothly with acceleration whereas I feel jerky or quitting on occasions, especially if chipping towards danger.

Thanks for posting video Gary

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you couldn't chip before then you were doing something wrong and if this method helps you then go for it.
It's not something I would teach though

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Completely agree. I found this method on YouTube a couple of weeks ago. Tried it during the monthly medal this weekend and I'll never to back to trying to chip 'conventionally'. I feel like I have a chance of holing almost every chip from around the green! I told my mate about it mid round and I think I should ask for a fee 😂

Obviously, I'd still like to learn how to chip to get some height on the ball to make it stop quickly. For shots when I have to chip over a bunker etc. But this is method is fantastic 👍🏻

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Heading to Ballyliffen later so will try and make a video to show how well it works from semi rough.

Absolutly brilliant.

Dont rule it out bob. I'm sure you have plenty of people who don't quite master a more traditional technique.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
looks and sounds like you are thinning it??

Definitely not thin. Noticed the funny noise on the tablet last night. Possibly due to phone being held inside the brolly holder.

Sounds like a pop with headphones on.

The technique requires you to hit them out of the toe. Especially off those tight lies. Will also sound differnt to a center strike but pretty sure the sound is off due to the mic being in a well. Lol

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Definitely not thin. Noticed the funny noise on the tablet last night. Possibly due to phone being held inside the brolly holder.

Sounds like a pop with headphones on.

The technique requires you to hit them out of the toe. Especially off those tight lies. Will also sound differnt to a center strike but pretty sure the sound is off due to the mic being in a well. Lol

what about if you have to carry a bit more rough than you are here?
looks like you are on a nice fluffy fringe, TBH in the same situation as you have there i would putt it if i was struggling with chipping

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is just a video to show the technique.

This isn't a great deal of grass under those balls. I assure you. In real life it's pretty closely mown.

The technique works well on up towards wedges. I will try and show a few differnt ones today if possible. The idea of the shot is to get it running on the green ASAP. You change Club depending on how far on the pin is or how far you need to lift the ball to get it on the green.