Open Trip

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Morning all, planning a trip to the open currently. Going to the practise day on Tuesday. Travelling from the Midlands, the plan is to travel up early Monday morning, play somewhere and stop the night. Ideally within 2 hour drive of the open. Anyone got any suggestions for somewhere up that way, none of us have ever been. Not looking for anything outstanding course wise/green fee wise. But somewhere nice. Go to the open Tuesday, stop Tuesday night and drive back at some stage Wednesday. Hoping to play again Wednesday before we travel and would love to get the chance to play some links golf. Any recommendations for this would also be much appreciated along with anything accommodation wise. Will be our first golfing trip, and you lot seem well travelled so come on what you got?

Cheers all

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about somewhere near Edinburgh? Gullane No 2 or No 3? If you're going to the open, playing a links course would add to it in my opinion.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i wouldn't stay 2 hours away TBH. Dundee is a stones trow from Carnoustie and plenty of places to stay cheaply there. also have Montrose, Monifeith and Panmure (heathland) close by and with St Andrews just a short hop over the Tay bridge all those courses close.

you can also easily get to Blairgowrie (Heathland again)from Dundee too

D

Deleted Member 1156

i wouldn't stay 2 hours away TBH. Dundee is a stones trow from Carnoustie and plenty of places to stay cheaply there. also have Montrose, Monifeith and Panmure (heathland) close by and with St Andrews just a short hop over the Tay bridge all those courses close.

Not sure that will be the case during Open week. The train station is immediately next to the course at Carnoustie so you could stay anywhere along the line and get there quite easily. It is the Edinburgh to Aberdeen line so might be worth investigating your options close to stations.

edit: Just had a look and Perth is 35-40mins on the train, being a bit further out you may find cheaper hotels.

Last edited by a moderator:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure that will be the case during Open week. The train station is immediately next to the course at Carnoustie so you could stay anywhere along the line and get there quite easily. It is the Edinburgh to Aberdeen line so might be worth investigating your options close to stations.

edit: Just had a look and Perth is 35-40mins on the train, being a bit further out you may find cheaper hotels.

he's going the practice days. not sure it will be that busy for those days, but who knows.

i wouldn't rely on the trains either:rofl:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The travelodge we normally stay at in dundee for the Tuesday night is £166 for open week, normally we only pay max £50 a night. I'd say most places in Dundee will have put their prices up.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's scandalous how folk get ripped off like that but suspect it'll be the same all over the area that week.

I can rent out a room at mine for £500 for the week, apply within.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A biking friend of mine lives right on the other side of the railway line about 100 yards from the first tee, he wouldn't tell me how much he's getting but I think in the region of 5k