Open at Tidworth 25th October

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played level par after the first, I blame the start on the beers I had before tee off. That'll teach me for getting up the club too early!

Looking forward to catching up tomorrow Nick, did you have a good day at Liphook?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played level par after the first, I blame the start on the beers I had before tee off. That'll teach me for getting up the club too early!

Looking forward to catching up tomorrow Nick, did you have a good day at Liphook?

Yes I did cheers, it's a cracking course. Like a cross between blackmoor and broadstone. You'd love the 470 yard par 5's. I won a ball for a solid podium finish:thup:

Apparently they do a £35 summer twilight which would be a bargain.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Yes I did cheers, it's a cracking course. Like a cross between blackmoor and broadstone. You'd love the 470 yard par 5's. I won a ball for a solid podium finish:thup:

Apparently they do a £35 summer twilight which would be a bargain.

Yep did that a few years back, think it's 15 and 16 are pretty weak compared to the rest off the course, looks like they needed to fit a few holes in!!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep did that a few years back, think it's 15 and 16 are pretty weak compared to the rest off the course, looks like they needed to fit a few holes in!!
I quite liked those short par 4's, especially 16. I'm just not great fan of the internal oob. I'd say the only weak hole was 17, and maybe the 1st. The greens are something else, I bet they're scary in the summer.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a reminder for all you Tidworth fans, we have a 4 ball in the for sale section in aid of HFH.

Bidding ends tomorrow evening and the current bid is only £80.... Bag yourselves a bargain and help a great cause at the same time...

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Drive4show...hiding under the bar obviously worked for me! I still owe you a drink. I was out at 11 and then I had to leg it for a "golden wedding do".

I thought the course was pretty decent for the end of October. The recent rain had taken a bit of pace out of the greens, but overall in decent nick.

10 and 11 polarise views. I got par on both yesterday, so just for now, I have no problem with them! In general though I am not a great fan.

They are not original Colt holes. 11 used to be played from where the 10th tee now is, so a very short par 3 uphill, but with masses of sand in front. Now, a scuffed mid iron from the elevated tee can be a hole in one!

For me 12, 13, 14 is a superb run of holes, and I would probably reroute the course, to make those 16,17,18: but the members voted a few years back to keep the 'loop' of 4 at the end as it is.

One of my guests played well, getting 4th overall.

The Open is going to become an annual thing, the aim being good grub, good prize fund and good value. I'm sure it will go from strength to strength.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I have very fond memories of Tidworth. In 1968, and again in 1969, I attended an intensive 8 week cramming course to help me pass my accountancy exams. We worked 6 days a week, 9.00 to 9.00 with only a Sunday off. One Sunday, on a blazing hot day, myself & one of the Scottish course members went off early and played a round at Tidworth. We had lunch & went out again & played another 18. It was such a lovely day we had a bite to eat & a pint & went out again. In those days the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] or 16[SUP]th[/SUP] came back to the clubhouse. We came off the green, looked at each other & decided 51 or 52 holes was enough.

The place, in Andover, where the course was held was noted for its bad food. They served veal, ham & egg pie, which I’ve never been able to face since, about 5 times a week. At lunch time, after our first round, a member said “you must try the Wiltshire Pie, it’s a local speciality” We did, and guess what it was? I’ll never view veal, ham & egg pie the same again.

The second year, I used to go there on my own and invariable got a game with one of the members. Nice club & a nice course. I’d love to play there again if it wasn’t over 300 miles away.

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
52 holes! Good work out of you. My sort of customer! Come again;)

I am not sure if the food at the Andover has improved - I played just once there - 9 greens with 2 flags each...far too confusing for a dope like me.