Olympics - Paris 2024

Swango1980

Visit site
Just read that an Australian hockey player broke his finger 2 weeks ago, which would have required surgery and months of recovery. So, instead, he opted to have it amputated so that he could play in the Olympics.

That's commitment. However, how devastated would he be if he got a hamstring injury in training just before the games start?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just read that an Australian hockey player broke his finger 2 weeks ago, which would have required surgery and months of recovery. So, instead, he opted to have it amputated so that he could play in the Olympics.

That's commitment. However, how devastated would he be if he got a hamstring injury in training just before the games start?
Jesus Christ, Aussies don't muck about do they? I just read an article, they said it was part of a finger rather than the whole thing - assuming the tip - but they didn't say which finger. You would think maybe missing a bit of finger would affect his grip a little bit and take some getting used to wouldn't you? Best case would be if it's the ring finger as that's maybe the least important one?

I was going to say I understand it if this was his last chance to play in the Olympics. But he's already played in the two previous ones and is only 30 so in theory could play the next one as well. 😂

Edit: A different article confirmed it was in fact the ring finger.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Jesus Christ, Aussies don't muck about do they? I just read an article, they said it was part of a finger rather than the whole thing - assuming the tip - but they didn't say which finger. You would think maybe missing a bit of finger would affect his grip a little bit and take some getting used to wouldn't you? Best case would be if it's the ring finger as that's maybe the least important one?

I was going to say I understand it if this was his last chance to play in the Olympics. But he's already played in the two previous ones and is only 30 so in theory could play the next one as well. 😂

From the knuckle apparently - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckmg7ngkgjeo

Swango1980

Visit site

It was from the knuckle up, so a fairly sizeable tip.

One of the guys I played golf with had an industrial accident, which sliced off the top of his finger. It is definitely something he'd rather have not happened, but it wasn't a choice for him. I wonder if this hockey player will regret this decision in years down the line?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

One of the guys I played golf with had an industrial accident, which sliced off the top of his finger. It is definitely something he'd rather have not happened, but it wasn't a choice for him. I wonder if this hockey player will regret this decision in years down the line?
There's a feller at my golf club who's missing a finger. He still plays off 9 or 10 so it's not holding him back too much.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Read up about Kate Richardson Walsh -

Broke her jaw Sunday , surgery on Monday , playing on Tuesday

Hockey - tough and mental , brilliant to see

Matt Dawson finger was touch and go if it was going to properly heal so made the choice

Watching the Handball - looks a great sport to play

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Genuinely, I don't think he will. The Olympics is massive to hockey, he would have been working towards this for the last 4 years. The level of commitment required to get to that point and then maybe it is taken away.......

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Multiple rape of a 12 year old girl, who has since tried to commit suicide, for which he only spent one year in prison.
She was 12 years old ..................................... 12!!
He's now an Olympian.

NO, he should be in prison or, ideally, buried.
Sorry, but I feel quite strongly about this.
Blimey. And that's an understatement. And I agree.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Read up about Kate Richardson Walsh -

Broke her jaw Sunday , surgery on Monday , playing on Tuesday

Hockey - tough and mental , brilliant to see

Matt Dawson finger was touch and go if it was going to properly heal so made the choice

Watching the Handball - looks a great sport to play
But at least that sounds like the natural order of things. She didn't have her jaw amputated. 😂

Honestly though, his finger must have been an absolute state from what they said. God knows what happened to it. Must have been near enough crushed from what they were saying. Maybe amputation wasn't far off being the smart call anyway.