North Berwick

RRidges

Visit site
Where or what is NBC?

I’ve played Turnberry, Carnoustie and Gleneagles Kings, as well as North Berwick, and although they’re all very different I loved them all

Dunbar must be quite special if it’s in their league
Dunbar is indeed an extremely enjoyable course! Not (quite) in the same category for toughness as Carnoustie or Gleneagles Kings (can't comment on Turnberry) but I'd rank it with NB for quality, if not history/quirkiness - a take or leave attribute. To me, it ranks between Gullane #2 and #1 in quality, a much easier walk than either, if not the bargain that #2 can be (though #1 can be a bargain with a member).
In spite of Golf being a game for masochists, I'm not sure I'd want to get beaten up by Carnoustie every round. A course like Dunbar (or Gullane 2 or 3) produces sufficient challenge without turning enjoyment into depression.

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve played Turnberry, Carnoustie and Gleneagles Kings, as well as North Berwick, and although they’re all very different I loved them all

I don't think you can compare Gleneagles Kings (Or any other Gleneagles course for that matter) with a links course, particularly those already mentioned.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like The Burgess and Bruntsfield???
I don't know the area well enough to comment. I just remember checking the satnav when I was at The Renaissance for the Scottish open for how long it took to get to Edinburgh and it was about 40 minutes. If NB courses are prohibitively expensive I wondered if that was an option that locals were looking at. The alternative is no golf at all :(

AliMc

Visit site
Hi Jim,

KenL and AliMc have their views on North Berwick and nothing I add will change them nor should it, they have played the course and come to their view. You won't be surprised to hear that I disagree and rate North Berwick highly within East Lothian, with only Muirfield being better. Next up for me are Dunbar & Gullane Nr 1 neck and neck - although somedays I enjoy Gullane Nr 2 just as much.

We can hopefully all agree we're lucky to be members of any of these Clubs.

cheers
Ian
100% true Ian, we are very very lucky to have so many great courses to play around here, I genuinely like North Berwick as a golf course, have had many great games there with my mates who were members (well they were until they left to join Archerfield when it opened 17 years ago) and know Martyn well, indeed I have had 2 holes in one there ! I think the biggest issue i have is the disparity in the rankings between NB and Dunbar and the fact for me that NB simply isn't the 5th best course in Scotland, if that is what this latest one said, in GM's ranking I think NB was 13 maybe and Dunbar in the next 100 which is just nonsense imo, indeed I have played with many many golfers in EL over the years who rate Dunbar higher than NB, but each to their own as long as we continue to enjoy them

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
With a move to East Lothian a possibility in maybe 5yrs time I find costs and waiting times mentioned in this thread more than a little depressing. My only hope would seem to be an ongoing cost of living crisis hitting memberships and visitor numbers - and I just can’t let myself look to that given how it would hurt so many.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't know the area well enough to comment. I just remember checking the satnav when I was at The Renaissance for the Scottish open for how long it took to get to Edinburgh and it was about 40 minutes. If NB courses are prohibitively expensive I wondered if that was an option that locals were looking at. The alternative is no golf at all :(
Membership is cheap though.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember years ago a North of England golfer complaining bitterly about the cost of playing the East Lothian courses.
A local asked where he played and if his course was cheaper or better.
The answer was his course more expensive, did not allow visitors [only Societies or members guests] and not as good as the EL courses.

AliMc

Visit site
A large number of East Lothian residents are well off and have well paid jobs in the Capital. Others have lived there all their lives and have been members of these elite courses since they were children. The population of East Lothian is increasing rapidly as developers are building huge developments along the coast especially near railway stations.
Can honestly say I'm most certainly not in the first category, 'surviving' on a modest civil service pension (and have been a member at Dunbar since i was 24, in my 40th year now) I rely on invites from friends at member guests rates for games at other courses and the superb reciprocal arrangements that Dunbar had, sadly many of the so called 'top' courses are out of my price range now

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
With a move to East Lothian a possibility in maybe 5yrs time I find costs and waiting times mentioned in this thread more than a little depressing. My only hope would seem to be an ongoing cost of living crisis hitting memberships and visitor numbers - and I just can’t let myself look to that given how it would hurt so many.

Get your name on the waiting lists now!

Brads

Visit site
What waiting lists lol
Every links course has closed their lists.
Craigielaw fees have shot up considerably but still have to wait years. Glen has closed its list.
Kilspindie might open theirs again in December
Winterfield only called the first 149 people on this years waiting list lol.
Royal Musselburgh is tough to get a tee time on.
Haddington is fine but even there membership has more than doubled over the last 2 years.
Golf in East Lothian is crazy busy at the moment.
Im selling up and moving to the Scottish Borders next year so will go through the rigmarole of finding a new course again.

At one point I seriously tried to consider whether my SIPP could purchase a debenture hahaha.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played NB when it was just £7 so I'm going back to the 1980's.
I was informed it was Ben Crenshaw's favourite course, if you remember him.
The features there have supposedly been copied all over the world, but I only ever found one.
Stone walls crossing the fairways and streams in front of the green may have helped inspire the design of Bute GC.

The East Links (Glen) is also good with views to the Bass Rock.

RRidges

Visit site
Like The Burgess and Bruntsfield???
Those 2 are more than just courses - they are (old style) clubs where membership is as much a social status thing as the golf.
I've played Burgess, courtesy of a workmate member and it's a pretty ho-hum course for such a posh club. That's not saying it's a poor layout or challenge, just not special as a course - except, perhaps, for slicers on the driveable par 4 18th, as the car-park is on the right and unprotected. It was in excellent condition though. I preferred Mortonhall and Duddingston as courses.