North Berwick

evemccc

Visit site
Just out of interest there was a group of about 50 Americans at Dunbar last week, had been in Scotland for a few weeks, someone said they thought they were from NBC possibly, anyway, they had played several courses, Turnberry, Carnoustie, one at Gleneagles, one at St Andrews and a couple through the west, a few of them said playing at Dunbar was the most fun they had, they didn't say it was the best course just the most enjoyable

Where or what is NBC?

I’ve played Turnberry, Carnoustie and Gleneagles Kings, as well as North Berwick, and although they’re all very different I loved them all

Dunbar must be quite special if it’s in their league

sunshine

Visit site
Dunbar must be quite special if it’s in their league

I found Dunbar to be a cracking course. First 3 holes are a bit bland, then you walk through a gap in a wall and play 14 tremendous links holes right up against the coast on a narrow strip of land. Huge trouble on the right - must be a nightmare if you're a slicer but I wouldn't know about that :whistle:

I'd place it in the league below the very top courses. That's no insult, it's still high quality top 100 material.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I found Dunbar to be a cracking course. First 3 holes are a bit bland, then you walk through a gap in a wall and play 14 tremendous links holes right up against the coast on a narrow strip of land. Huge trouble on the right - must be a nightmare if you're a slicer but I wouldn't know about that :whistle:

I'd place it in the league below the very top courses. That's no insult, it's still high quality top 100 material.

Very honest and accurately review @sunshine . ?

I do understand why NB is so popular. Golfers around here are very split about how good it is.

RRidges

Visit site
I played it a couple of times many years ago and really enjoyed it.
It seemed a little like a poor relation to St Andrews in many ways - with some iconic/historic holes but not the epitome of golf that it used to be.
It was, however, somewhat humbling to stand on the 15th tee thinking 'Oh another Redan Par 3' then realise that this was THE Redan Par 3 that all the rest have been derived from! Likewise, the 13th has a feature (a wall) almost as iconic as the road on TOC's 17th!
Neither are the best courses in their area (Carnastie certainly wallops TOC and Kingsbarns approaches (and, to me, is St Andrews Links counter to) that. But for history.....
Certainly Gullane #1 and Muirfield are better courses. Dunbar competes, and maybe exceeds (especially on vfm). I've little knowledge of the 'new' ones, but expect them to up there as well. Those who live in the area are simply spoiled for choice!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Redan - don't get it! Much copied but not a great golf hole. I like a par 3 where a good shot is rewarded.

The 10th at Dunbar is similar. A good shot can get punished, whereas a poor or lucky one gets a good result.

Moving onto Carnoustie, that's as over-rated as NB. No views, too many average holes and only revered because of how "stupidly" difficult the last few holes are.
Screenshot_20220727-192629_Chrome.jpg

Edit - imo the best par 3 in East Lothian is the 8th at Kilspindie.

Last edited:

AliMc

Visit site
Considering the sheer numbers of courses along the coast, relative to the population, I would have expected some vacancies.

How many members do these clubs have? I'm assuming they can keep a low membership given every 4 ball of visitors brings in a £ grand of revenue. I guess there are also a high number of country members too?
For the courses I mentioned in post #6 I would imagine that they all have waiting lists of some length, we at Dunbar are about 9 years or so I believe, maybe around 600 or so members (at a guess) don't think we have country members

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What did you think of holes 13 - 17?

brilliant. I got up and down from the beach on 13. Kicked in the face on the 16th as I went slightly long left.

even 18 is great. Mini old course, but the added danger of the pro shop being OOB

simply a class venue

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Considering the sheer numbers of courses along the coast, relative to the population, I would have expected some vacancies.

A large number of East Lothian residents are well off and have well paid jobs in the Capital. Others have lived there all their lives and have been members of these elite courses since they were children. The population of East Lothian is increasing rapidly as developers are building huge developments along the coast especially near railway stations.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A large number of East Lothian residents are well off and have well paid jobs in the Capital. Others have lived there all their lives and have been members of these elite courses since they were children. The population of East Lothian is increasing rapidly as developers are building huge developments along the coast especially near railway stations.
Tell us about it. All the towns have doubled in size in the last 10 years or so.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Even with all the development its still crazy how hard it is to become a member anywhere in east lothian at the moment. From what i hear Gullane is closed for applications, so are north berwick and luffness, archerfield is a debenture, renaissance is an eye-watering debenture, craigielaw is 3-4 years waiting list, even the glen is about a year waiting list I think. I think if you wanted to join a club before next summer it would have to be winterfield or haddington.

As for NB, walked round the outside of it at the weekend and its in exceptional condition.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unfortunately we seem to have lost contributions from our resident NB forum member. It’s in no way an underrated course - GolfWRX really are making things up for clicks and a story with that one.

Easily within the top 10 Scottish courses. Top 5 is a stretch too far when you look at what fills those spots.

However I’d say it’s a better place to be a member than some of the courses that are in that top 5 course list.

Hi Jim,

KenL and AliMc have their views on North Berwick and nothing I add will change them nor should it, they have played the course and come to their view. You won't be surprised to hear that I disagree and rate North Berwick highly within East Lothian, with only Muirfield being better. Next up for me are Dunbar & Gullane Nr 1 neck and neck - although somedays I enjoy Gullane Nr 2 just as much.

We can hopefully all agree we're lucky to be members of any of these Clubs.

cheers
Ian