North Berwick

AliMc

Visit site
Just out of interest there was a group of about 50 Americans at Dunbar last week, had been in Scotland for a few weeks, someone said they thought they were from NBC possibly, anyway, they had played several courses, Turnberry, Carnoustie, one at Gleneagles, one at St Andrews and a couple through the west, a few of them said playing at Dunbar was the most fun they had, they didn't say it was the best course just the most enjoyable

AliMc

Visit site
.... and for those who are going to visit East Lothian for a game or two here are the courses that I would play before North Berwick :-
In no particular order:-
Muirfield
Archerfield (both courses)
Dunbar
Gullane (1&2, 3 isn't too bad either)
Luffness
Can't comment on The Renaissance as I haven't played it and don't know how to get on it)

I better stop now before I monopolise this thread !

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just out of interest there was a group of about 50 Americans at Dunbar last week, had been in Scotland for a few weeks, someone said they thought they were from NBC possibly, anyway, they had played several courses, Turnberry, Carnoustie, one at Gleneagles, one at St Andrews and a couple through the west, a few of them said playing at Dunbar was the most fun they had, they didn't say it was the best course just the most enjoyable

Yes, played with someone who caddied for them who told me that.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
.... and for those who are going to visit East Lothian for a game or two here are the courses that I would play before North Berwick :-
In no particular order:-
Muirfield
Archerfield (both courses)
Dunbar
Gullane (1&2, 3 isn't too bad either)
Luffness
Can't comment on The Renaissance as I haven't played it and don't know how to get on it)

I better stop now before I monopolise this thread !

I'll add Kilspindie. Fabulous, if shorter, course.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately we seem to have lost contributions from our resident NB forum member. It’s in no way an underrated course - GolfWRX really are making things up for clicks and a story with that one.

Easily within the top 10 Scottish courses. Top 5 is a stretch too far when you look at what fills those spots.

However I’d say it’s a better place to be a member than some of the courses that are in that top 5 course list.

sunshine

Visit site
I don't care what you guys say, I've played NB several times and I love it.

If you offered me a free trip to the Lothians I'd have NB as number 2 on my must play list after Muirfield.

Albo

Visit site
I’ve not played either NB or Gullane, but if they are fully booked charging at these prices then the market is clearly there for them to do so and as a business it would be foolish of them not to maximise their profit. My understanding is the waiting list for both are well into the years maybe even closed.
Do I personally like the prices, hell no, but I totally understand why they change that much.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like most clubs around here, the waiting lists are long/closed.
Gullane has always been that way but before the pandemic you could get into NB within a year or 2.

@Albo . I understand that but is is such a shame that most of the visitors are American, Canadian, Swedish etc.
British visiting golfers are few and far between.

Last edited:

Zig

Visit site
Gullane has always been that way but before the pandemic you could get into NB within a year or 2.

@Albo . I understand that but is is such a shame that most of the visitors are American, Canadian, Swedish etc.
British visiting golfers are few and far between.

I've posted before about British golfers and UK venues. The Scots/GUI/GIU have it right with local rates etc, but that doesn't help people from England playing the best courses in the UK&Ire. Not saying they should either, but it's hard to justify the sky high rates when you live just over the border! I guess there's no reason to while they're selling out all their times anyway...

sunshine

Visit site

Considering the sheer numbers of courses along the coast, relative to the population, I would have expected some vacancies.

How many members do these clubs have? I'm assuming they can keep a low membership given every 4 ball of visitors brings in a £ grand of revenue. I guess there are also a high number of country members too?