Na v Dj

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 questions on this please ..

Dj lifted his ball before Na said it was good , i think its 1 shot pen and replace the ball ? Can u claim/lose a hole for a 1 shot violation ?( lifting without marking)

The min Na said he had not conceded the putt before the rule violation and the violation has now been called , can the consession of the original putt then be allowed .. ?

I dont think so in either case , but no sure

thanks in advance
Bill

DickInShorts

Visit site
As I understand it - as Matchplay is between two parties there is no necessity to enforce the rules on your opponent. It only becomes an issue if you agreed beforehand to ignore rules - ie. if either of us goes in a bunker we’ll take a free drop outside it.
I suggest Na was warning DJ that if he picked up again before DJ conceded he would enforce the penalty.

I’ve often not enforced a rule during matchplay but pointed out afterwards that to do it is a penalty and could be costly in future

D

Deleted Member 1156

I believe Na basically had 2 options. He could let it stand and talk to DJ or he could claim the hole. Handled it well IMO, quiet word with DJ along the lines of " that putt wasn't conceded, next time I'll claim the hole" as opposed to Kuchar a couple of years ago who claimed the hole against Garcia in similar circumstances.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe Na basically had 2 options. He could let it stand and talk to DJ or he could claim the hole. Handled it well IMO, quiet word with DJ along the lines of " that putt wasn't conceded, next time I'll claim the hole" as opposed to Kuchar a couple of years ago who claimed the hole against Garcia in similar circumstances.
How do u claim the hole tho , what rule is different in MP ? In stroke play that would be a 1shot pen only

Genuine question , i dont know the answer

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
What im asking here in 1 question is ..

Is there a specific rule in matchplay that states if a player picks up their ball , he/she automaticaly loses/consedes the hole ..

Or would it come under ball lifted without marking 1 shot pen , replace and play .

Thanks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What im asking here in 1 question is ..

Is there a specific rule in matchplay that states if a player picks up their ball , he/she automaticaly loses/consedes the hole ..

Or would it come under ball lifted without marking 1 shot pen , replace and play .

Thanks
I always thought if a player picks his ball up without a concession he is out of the hole.
So he is conceding the hole .
By not completing the hole he has no score to compare with yours.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always thought if a player picks his ball up without a concession he is out of the hole.
So he is conceding the hole .
By not completing the hole he has no score to compare with yours.
Thats what i dont know mate . Under normal rules its 1 shot pen and replace id like to know what rule states its loss of hole .. im not saying its not loss of hole id like to know rule thats all

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
did they not waive a rule when Na said i did not concede , so u broke a rule picking up . No its ok i will allow it now ..

the min Na informed DJ he had not conceded the putt it means DJ broke a rule picking it up , , therefore not possible to over rule the breach after that ?

Thanks for reply

My understanding is that Na can overlook the fact that he didn't concede DJ's putt and walk to the next tee without saying anything, then once they've teed off he can mention it.
But, as you suggest, the moment he mentioned it to DJ it becomes shared knowledge and to walk to the next tee now without DJ replacing for 1 shot penalty and then holing out (or DJ conceding the hole) is to agree to break the rules.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
n't
He couldn't claim the hole.
Apologies i dont understand . U pick up . Opponent says i did not concede . Do u not just replace ball and take a 1 shot penalty ?

I thought only 2 shot pen carried automatic loss of hole ?

That's correct.

If Na had not ignored the matter, the situation is that without a concession, Johnson was in breach of Rule 14.1a for having picked up his ball without marking it which carries a penalty of one stroke. If, with the penalty he could still be in a position to win or halve the hole, he could replace his ball and putt out. If the penalty meant that he couldn't even halve the hole by carrying on, you would expect him to concede.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Colin . I think some commentators are misleading people .. chances are when u add the penalty and replay the shot u will have played too many shots anyhow .. but not always the case

If the putt you thought was conceded was for a win, you would with the penalty be going for a half. If it was for a half in the first place, there would be no point in carrying on