Greensomes Dispute

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I echo Salfordlad and Jim.

Furthermore, it was their lack of understanding of the Rules that started all this, further compunded by them in conceding the match. Why should you be bending over backwards (and breaking the Rules yourselves) to try and make up for their actions and ignorance?
Totally, they need to learn a valuable lesson.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If yopu are confident that you have done the right thing then continue as if nothing as happened. For me that would be preferable to spending time trying to convince my opponents that I was right. Also finding the correct rule on the app isn't always easy and ypour opponenets may not be convinced anyway.

I find it strange that anyone in a Greensomes match would even consider arguing over guessed rule infringement like this, it seems such an obscure thing to think is a rule. I've heard some crazy "wrong rules" but this takes the biscuit imo!

bumpandrun

Visit site
Tr

Trouble is you are now under a different rule

Rule 3.2b (2)

(2) How Concessions Are Made. A concession is made only when clearly
communicated:
• This can be done either verbally or by an action that clearly shows the player’s intent.
A concession is final and cannot be declined or withdrawn.

I see you as now being at a potential disadvantage. You may have been playing very well on the day and they very badly and this could easily be reversed on another day.
I do get that, and that’s exactly what one of them pointed out. However, we all know each other well, and our golf changes from shot to shot and not day to day lol. One of them is moving to America later in the year and won’t be back, so if it’s the last I play with him then at least we had a good competitive match.

And if we do lose, I can always bring up Rule 3.2b. Just kidding!

bumpandrun

Visit site
As Jim also notes, Rule 3.2b does not permit this, the match is over as you have no authority to over-ride the concession. If you play any more with these folk it will only be social play, it cannot change the result of the match.
Okay, when you put it that way, then we are then breaking the rules, I understand. I’ll have to let all parties know. Thanks for that.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
My first thought when reading this was “I bet the pair claiming the rule violation were losing”.

Now the rules are available in a nice searchable app, and most people have access to the internet in their pocket. There really is no reason for them not to have checked.

If they have thrown a tantrum and conceded the match. Personally, I would accept that (not that there is a choice) and move on to the next round.

Do however, make sure the pair know they were wrong.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, unfortunately it led to a disagreement on the tee - one of them conceded the match as he thought we were denying that he benefitted from my alignment of the golf ball. It was all a bit of a messy blur to be honest. We were all gutted by it as we were 4 up thru 6. They have since apologised for the misunderstanding. We’ve offered to play the rest of the match as it was my playing partners first match play game and he never got to enjoy the experience, and they have accepted after much persuasion. I will update with the result
As you won, will your partner not be playing in the next round?
I'd not want to play with/against those twits ever again.

tobybarker

Visit site
your comp. committee should have been involved at some point to resolve this. you all quit playing, which probably breaks a rule or two on its own. tell us what they think.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
your comp. committee should have been involved at some point to resolve this. you all quit playing, which probably breaks a rule or two on its own. tell us what they think.
On the evidence we have been presented, the OP and partner did not quit playing. Their opposition conceded the match.

Two very different things.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I do get that, and that’s exactly what one of them pointed out. However, we all know each other well, and our golf changes from shot to shot and not day to day lol. One of them is moving to America later in the year and won’t be back, so if it’s the last I play with him then at least we had a good competitive match.

And if we do lose, I can always bring up Rule 3.2b. Just kidding!
Really? A "good competitive match" where they tried to screw you over with a fake rule? Aye, very "good" 🤷‍♂️ :rolleyes:

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't think your opponents should ever enter another match play competition again, if they are going to get so wound up about a rule that doesn't even exist. Reading between the lines, it seems they were wound up they were getting a bit of a bashing, and were looking for anything to get back in the match. Then, conceded the match in a sulk when they started the argument.

They well and truly deserve to be eliminated from the competition. If I was them, I'd be embarrassed to be given another chance at the match (even forgetting that is against the rules anyway)