Most NRs in a competition

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our monthly medal was held yesterday, 103 entrants which is about normal. What wasn’t normal was the amount of NRs - 22 (plus 2 DQ for no card). A couple were for the usual pick up on a hole when playing rubbish but the vast majority were the late starters who had to come in with up to 5 holes to play when the course shut for lightning. Not sure how long the course was shut for but they obviously couldn’t be bothered to go back out and finish.

What is the highest number of NRs people have seen?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We had a young lad with us yesterday, very new to the game and not up to speed on all the rules - he was having a bit of a mare and on the 14th lost a ball that we could not find - we suggested he NR'd but he was reluctant, told him there'd be plenty more who'd do the same and it was nothing to worry about.

Turns out he was the only NR on the day.

evemccc

Visit site
Genuine Q:

Why do people NR? Esp regular golfers with low single figure ‘caps?

Are they embarrassed about recording a bad score if they’ve had a mare?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Genuine Q:

Why do people NR? Esp regular golfers with low single figure ‘caps?

Are they embarrassed about recording a bad score if they’ve had a mare?

Because they lose a ball they didn’t think they would , they don’t want to walk back , it’s only a club comp - doesn’t really matter if they NR

Last edited:

Skytot

Visit site
I had my 1st NR in 3 years on Saturday. I always play a provisional ball when there’s doubt I will find my ball but ,on the 14th hole I pulled my drive slightly into a little copse of trees with no heavy rough around them . I couldn’t find my ball , 3 ball behind were already on the tee and I had a pretty rubbish card anyway so NR that hole . I was playing with handicap chairman and he told me only NR that hole ( put zero down for score) and carry on scoring the rest of the holes for handicap purpose.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will NR if I lose a ball that I haven't realised and not played a provisional. I won't play a third provisional if I've hit a couple of poor shots. Don't want to waste other people's time.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had almost an entire field NR a few years ago. I think only 8 finished and of them 2 had NR’d due to score.

The heavens opened and biblical doesn’t even come close to describing the rain that started. It was one of those horrible ones where the sky goes dark and you feel the pressure dropping, that weird susurration in the air then the wind whips up and down it comes.

Several greens started flooding in the space of minutes and everyone just started walking in. The sky was black for as far as the eye could see and no one was going back out.

So yeah, almost a whole field.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know around 2015 we played at Tylney and they had knee high rough no more than 10 feet from the fairway in a collar down both sides and around the back of each green. Visually it made every hole look fantastic but you daren't miss a fairway and I hit one shot into a green which pitched pin high and just trickled off the back and was never seen again. They had up to 50% of every medal field NR'ing at one point and had to beg the owners to cut it back to make it playable

Swango1980

Visit site
At the weekend, I was on 16th tee and we saw the final group go past us back to clubhouse. Spoke to them after. They were all playing so badly, they all decided to quit after the 8th hole.

Their scores still went on howdidido, so finished with 10 blobs, although was medal so score appears as NR

Mandofred

Visit site
Same as others....if I'm having a crap round I just can't be bothered to go back to hit another shot from the tee. If I'm really having a CRAP round I might not even bother to hit another ball if I know my ball is gone. There are times I get tired of donating balls to Deep Poop Gods.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just twice for me I think....
Worst was way back in the day....11th hole and I shanked 5 in a row OB.....walked the rest to mark the other guys card..
Sometimes you know when it's time.......

Swango1980

Visit site
In the first few years I played golf, I probably NRed a few times, probably more out of frustration / anger (although I didn't walk off the course like some).

These days, I'll do my best not to NR, no matter how horrific my score is (started with a juicy 10 on the 1st this weekend, could have NRed but thought there is at least room for improvement :) ). I think I only posted an NR once in last few years. Hit a good tee shot on 18th par 3. But, when I got to green, someone said it clipped the tree and went OB. I wasn't on a great score, and I wasn't going to walk all the way back to the tee to hold my group up, and the guys behind. So I NRed. Doesn't matter anyway, as the score still goes to handicap with scores for the other 17 holes.

Played with my mate, a single figure handicapper, in a medal last month. Bogey on first, but all sorts of issues on 2nd. After 7 shots, he made the greenside bunker. After 12 shots, he was still in the greenside bunker. At which point he NRed, as he just couldn't get out. I was slightly gutted, as it would have been a legendary score, one to talk about for years to come. I told him after, he could have even taken a penalty drop out of the bunker, tried to see if he could beat a 20.

RichA

Visit site
All our comps are scored on a physical card. Both medal comps I entered this year had holes where a drive that should've been on the fairway was nowhere to be found and I couldn't be bothered to trudge back and reload. Both times I completed the round and the card and scrawled "Out of comp - for handicap purposes only" on it.
It surprises me how many of our members just don't return a card in these circumstances.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just twice for me I think....
Worst was way back in the day....11th hole and I shanked 5 in a row OB.....walked the rest to mark the other guys card..
Sometimes you know when it's time.......
I rarely ever do it either. The last time I can remember NRing was Club Champs two years ago. I'd already carded a 12 on the 12th hole. On the 15th, the long par 3, I missed the green left, and when I got up there it had mysteriously vanished. A sign from the golf gods to give up - no point walking 200+ yards back to the tee and holding everyone up when you're already about 10 over handicap.

RichA

Visit site
Just checked and our recent club champs saw 7 NRs out of 18 starters.
The handicap champs saw 8 NRs out of 21.
I've been suggesting that they rethink the qualification criteria for a couple of years but they aren't interested.

Swango1980

Visit site
Last 5 comps at my club

Field 56, NRs 11 (20%), DQ 1
Field 54, NRs 8 (15%), DQ 0 - Day 2 of a 36 Hole Comp
Field 55, NRs 7 (13%), DQ 1 - Day 1 of a 36 Hole Comp
Field 72, NRs 3 (4%), DQ 2

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can only think of a couple of occasions, one when my back went and one where I was playing so badly I wasn't enjoying it, realised I was probably not being a good partner and really didn't want to be there so gave up on the 13th. Other than that I'll try and stick it out all the way. I had a 10 on our par 4 tenth a few weeks back and could have jacked it in (only a short walk back to the clubhouse) but wanted to grind it out and make sure my net score started with a 7X. Managed a net 78 so was really pleased how I managed to recover and that included a double bogey on 16. Feel like I have more mental resiliance after listening to some podcasts on the subject

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We don't tend to get many NRs
To be honest, although you still can, it's not as easy to lose a ball around my place as it is at others.
Yes, we have knee high rough but it's, generally, well off line.
We have no water on the course and even the OBs are a long way off line on most holes..
I find way more than I lose and even the higher handicappers do t tend to lose that many unless they're having a really bad day.