Membership at Kings Acre Golf Club, Edinburgh

TamG123

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am thinking of joining this club for the 2014 season and have been in touch with the club to see what the benefits include. However I wanted to hear from the golfers themselves what they think of the club? Is it a healthy membership? Are there plenty of medals / competitions? What are the pro's like in teaching?

I live only 5 minutes away so this would be an ideal place to play for a quick round after work and reduce the travelling costs. The only downside is that I can't afford a full membership currently and know there are other options for membership but I would like to play in as many competitions as possible.

Thanks!

monktonhallgc1882

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks a good track can only say I've hit balls and been fitted there but the par 3 on the way in looks a nice hole and if it means you get more compititions and a good rate go for it!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Originally Pay and Play only, it is a course I played many times when I stayed in the Lothians. Recently, there have been fantastic teaching/coaching facilities attached which, I was led to believe, were put in place to try and lure the Scottish National Coaching from Drumoig. It is also the main Titleist fitting centre for Scotland. I don't know what it is like as a club, but the facilities, including catering, were fantastic the last time I was there. The course itself is well designed with many challenging holes, but has always been a bit on the wet side every time I've played it.
I would ask in the pro shop about medals etc.

Revolt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My GF stays in Buckstone and I have been looking for someone to get a round with when I am staying through there and she is at work so give me a shout if you do join ! :)

ChrisWelsh

Hacker
Visit site
I'm a member at Kings Acre, really good club with a very friendly membership. Have been a member for three years and played regularly in competitions all year round.

i do the silver 2 category membership which suits me perfectly and is great value. I pay up front and a fee per round plus the fee to join the club and play in competitions.

Medals are every 9 days , one at a weekend, one box medal (usually Mondays) and one midweek medal (usually Weds) throughout the month. They have the usual comps too throughout the year and will help you find a partner for the team comps if needed.

Sign up for medals is all online , you pick from th available slots and turn up (apart from some drawn comps where you pick an early, middle or late time).

Course is in the best condition I've known it after the summer we've had and some drainage works last year which have made a big difference. One big plus is that they always play on full greens and tees.

Members now at over 300 I think, competition fields are pretty strong now but you can get a tee time easily.

The committee and pros are very good too, they have just come up with some winter 9 holes comps and because th front 9 have been rated for SSS they count for handicap.

Outstanding range facility and the pros are brilliant, Kurt Mungall joined is year from Lothianburn and has a great reputation so very strong teaching if that's of interest.

Very relaxed and unstuffy modern golf course. Can't recommend it enough.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Always looked a good environment with a good mix of holes.

Practice facilities are first rate!

15th hole can be (well, was!) a bit of a bottle-neck - and rather Marmite-ish - at times!

If I was 5 minutes away, I wouldn't hesitate!

TamG123

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your information and opinion Chris. I find it is always helpful to get the thoughts of an insider who knows the place well and not just the Pro who will obviously be keen to sign anyone up.
It sounds like it is a club that is growing and having played the course a month ago I was impressed with everything on offer. Also good to know that there are midweek medals. I work in a hotel so having the weekend free is a rare occasion and more often that not I have Mondays off.

When are the fees usually paid? 1st Jan? I'm looking at monthly budgets etc and although the rate is relatively small its good to know.

Cheers!

TamG123

Medal Winner
Visit site
Also, thanks to all who have replied. It has all been very useful and will bear it in mind come the new year when I (more likely than not) join up!

ChrisWelsh

Hacker
Visit site
No worries, I'm sure I was the same when joining. I suspect you just pay when you join and the yearly renewals happen one year later. One more difference to a traditional club - they just send out invoices each month rather than the yearly subs on the same date issue. I think!

The pro shop are also good at matching you up with playing partners for midweek medals and you can play at a time that suits you for those, rather than the slots allocated for weekend medals.

I you are interested, send me your email address and I'll send the fixture list, I'm pretty sure they'd be fine sharing it.

If you fancy a game over the winter to see the course, give me a shout and we can fix something up.

Revolt - you're welcome to come along too.