Membership cost increase

Genu9

Visit site
It's that time of year again when clubs start declaring their proposed increases for 2023. We all expected increases in line with something near inflation but my club is proposing increases of between 16-20% depending on membership levels.
I fear the worst for golf clubs as the cost of living crisis makes members consider what they need to afford. The majority of members at my club are over pension age and may struggle to justify continued membership.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's that time of year again when clubs start declaring their proposed increases for 2023. We all expected increases in line with something near inflation but my club is proposing increases of between 16-20% depending on membership levels.
I fear the worst for golf clubs as the cost of living crisis makes members consider what they need to afford. The majority of members at my club are over pension age and may struggle to justify continued membership.

It would all depend on the current membership costs. In the south most are around £1700-£2k to start so a 20% increase would be huge, however with some paying £600-700 in more rural and further northern areas wouldn't impact as much.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

My gut feeling is that it is precisely those members who will be the stalwards and try to keep their membership going. From what I have seen, for many of the older generation golf club membership can become a large part of their lives - particularly those who may have lost their partners or have few other hobbies or social outlets. If money becomes tight then the course or clubhouse is a good place to while away those long lonely hours, in the warm, friends to chat to, place to shower and eat...

JayB

Visit site
12% rise for me, while not huge in itself with everything else except wages increasing, I unfortunately can no longer justify the cost

Mandofred

Visit site
One of the choices I think they were wondering about....was not putting prices up much....they might then lose a few people who can't afford golf anymore, but gain some from other courses that might raise their membership costs quite a bit.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Our membership is calendar year. The invoice comes out at the end of this month. I wondered about the wisdom of invoicing at the most expensive time of the year and when the course is looking its worse.

Golf is like any other leisure activity. If you can't afford it you won't do it.
I'm expecting £300 a year increase, that's a fiver a week, not an issue. I'd stop buying alcohol, long before I stopped golf.

But, if you haven't got it, you haven't got it.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Nationalise all golf clubs, so they can be funded by the governent and operate at a loss.

Or maybe golf isn't a basic need, it's a luxury that doesn't need to be affordable for all.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Ours went up 10% to just over £1k. Which I think is a psychological tipping point for some people.

We’ve taken on a lot of new members through Covid at all levels including a lot of flexible members. I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost a few.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nothing confirmed yet, but I suspect a big increase coming. It was tried last year with an increase from £800, to £1500. But luckily as the agm was through a Skype due to Covid restrictions lots voted against it. Alas now its returned to a normal meeting so this time I suspect it will go though.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Nothing confirmed yet, but I suspect a big increase coming. It was tried last year with an increase from £800, to £1500. But luckily as the agm was through a Skype due to Covid restrictions lots voted against it. Alas now its returned to a normal meeting so this time I suspect it will go though.

What was the justification for such a hike if you don't mind me asking?

I believe we need an EGM for anything over 5% (or potentially using the AGM) so I'm expecting a jump. The club is very well run financially and I believe could absorb some of the cost, but that is just kicking the can down the road and will impact legacy projects, so I think the nettle will be grasped.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

wow an 87.5% increase, that is insane, that cannot just be down to the increase in energy costs and staff wages. What are the those proposing it putting it down to

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
wow an 87.5% increase, that is insane, that cannot just be down to the increase in energy costs and staff wages. What are the those proposing it putting it down to

Shipley (I think it was) near Bradford did something similar many years ago. The old guard were complaining about too many societies and visitors.

So they proposed and voted in higher yearly fees and visitor fees, to cover having fewer visitors and societies.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our renewal is not until 1st April.

Club rules state that the minimum increase is always the rate of inflation.

One wonders if inflation will be a bit more under control by them.

On a personal note I see club subs as cheap but I do not have to pay the interest on my mortgage if I do not wish to do so and have built up enough credit with my energy company not to have to worry about the increases until 2024.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Does your club not do proxy voting then?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Our membership is calendar year. The invoice comes out at the end of this month. I wondered about the wisdom of invoicing at the most expensive time of the year and when the course is looking its worse.

Golf is like any other leisure activity. If you can't afford it you won't do it.
I'm expecting £300 a year increase, that's a fiver a week, not an issue. I'd stop buying alcohol, long before I stopped golf.

But, if you haven't got it, you haven't got it.
Agree, the calendar year renewal always felt an odd choice. When returning to golf and knowing likely to struggle on the value for money initially I delayed joining until May, as the club didn't pro rata, so renewal was next May ?.
Current club is April thankfully.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We're capped at inflation +1% as a maximum...
Let's hope things have turned around a bit by April
I'll still pay it but less would be better...