Cost of green fees and membership

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Has anyone else found that the cost of golf has gone through the roof for them? I usually join my local club and then play some different courses around 10 times a year. Unfortunately my local club has fallen into utter disrepair, and I can't justify nearly £100 a month on a golf course that has more mud than grass. I have started looking at other clubs local to me, but lots have put their prices up massively and really aren't worth what they're charging, imo.

So I am playing more green fees this year, and I have also noticed some huge increases there.

I know of a course not far from me that was always £15 a round on a Monday after 1pm. It isn't anything special, but the greens are usually pretty good. This was always a good deal and so I absolutely understand that it wasn't going to stay at £15 forever. They now want £40 though - a bit of a jump :D

I am very much into supply and demand. I also understand that clubs should try and 'make hay whilst the sun shines'. But is anyone in the position I am in, where you feel like you're slowly being priced out of the game?

(I really can't blame clubs too much for this behaviour, so please don't read this as an attack on them)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to get a lot of cheap green fees on Golf Now, but I think in Covid times, when demand is high or many clubs are not allowing visitors anymore, the cheap fees just aren't there anymore. This is the first year I've gone to a conventional subscription membership, so I'll be playing a lot more at my home course anyway to make sure I'm getting value.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There is a place by us that we used to play as a group with some mates who are infrequent golfers. It was fair for beginners, a reasonable course, but tatty round the edges and could get boggy. It was also fairly cheap at £18 after mid afternoon. Then after the first lockdown it jumped to £32. Which given the condition of the course at the time was outrageous.

I know a few who have said they won't go back there now.

They have revised their prices so peak times are now £34 and off peak is £27. Still a quite a hike, but cheaper than most other local courses.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I used to get a lot of cheap green fees on Golf Now, but I think in Covid times, when demand is high or many clubs are not allowing visitors anymore, the cheap fees just aren't there anymore. This is the first year I've gone to a conventional subscription membership, so I'll be playing a lot more at my home course anyway to make sure I'm getting value.
I've been looking at Golf Now for somewhere to play on Friday as the missus and I both have the day off and we fancy a change from our own courses - there's a fair bit of choice at reasonable prices within an hour or so drive for us.

sunshine

Visit site
I've been looking at Golf Now for somewhere to play on Friday as the missus and I both have the day off and we fancy a change from our own courses - there's a fair bit of choice at reasonable prices within an hour or so drive for us.

To be fair there are lots and lots of golf courses near the Tayside riviera, some of them outstanding, so supply is always greater than demand.

Visit site
Summer Green Fees always scare me. There’s a few courses around that I don’t mind playing for £20-25 in Winter. You know what you’re getting but at that price, you couldn’t complain. Then in summer they hike the prices to £45-60!

At that price, you expect a certain quality of course and course condition and it’s hard to justify.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the factors may be that with covid clubs may have reduced the number of slots by increasing the gap between each group. We have lost 10 slots a day with our new timings (ie potentially 40 more players a day).

GuyInLyon

Visit site
Has anyone else found that the cost of golf has gone through the roof for them? I usually join my local club and then play some different courses around 10 times a year. Unfortunately my local club has fallen into utter disrepair, and I can't justify nearly £100 a month on a golf course that has more mud than grass. I have started looking at other clubs local to me, but lots have put their prices up massively and really aren't worth what they're charging, imo.

Have you heard of this thing called "Covid-19"?
Just curious.

I am very much into supply and demand.

Your complaint/concerns about the increase in the cost of golfing rounds says that you're not.

D

Deleted member 3432

Siloth ? Beautiful place, one of my favourites, but I’m sure the green fees are as much about geography as altruism from the committee ;)

Nah, geography doesn't count ;)

Easy to get to, 20 miles down the coast road past Maryport and Allonby and hope the tide is out at Dubmill Point to avoid getting the car showered in rocks :ROFLMAO:

Members from far and wide...(y)

D

Deleted member 3432

Careful... I think I am due a visit to a radio site in Cumbria in July.... it’s even cheaper “signed in!”:ROFLMAO:

I might even be on my 'rest days' if you are lucky ;)

Zig

Visit site
Ours haven't gone nuts, visitors are welcomed and not seen as mugs to be fleeced....:)
And off to play there this weekend. Try to squeeze at least three visits a year there. Missed last year due to covid, so a round of golf and then the chippy on the way back home seems a fab way to spend the weekend! ;)
Equally excited playing at home these days - Seaton Carew is the best I've ever seen it, and we're meeting visitors in for specific times.

D

Deleted member 3432

And off to play there this weekend. Try to squeeze at least three visits a year there. Missed last year due to covid, so a round of golf and then the chippy on the way back home seems a fab way to spend the weekend! ;)
Equally excited playing at home these days - Seaton Carew is the best I've ever seen it, and we're meeting visitors in for specific times.

Will be in good condition this week, Club Champs qualifier off the big boys Blue tees on Saturday. Sadly I'm on nights Friday and Saturday so won't be playing.

The Lion

Visit site
Ours haven't gone nuts, visitors are welcomed and not seen as mugs to be fleeced....:)

I’d happily come and play there in that case. Let me guess...Silloth?

If so, even then, they’ve increased by £5 two years straight, which is still well above inflation.

2019 £55
2020 £60 (+9%)
2021 £65 (+8%)

At this rate, by 2025-26, it’ll be a £100, and thus almost double 7 years previously.

Just wanted to demonstrate how even one of the better, fairer clubs’ price increases aren’t quite what they seem.

To be fair to Silloth, their fees are among the best in the country, but if they continue at this rate, they won’t be beyond this decade. And that would make me sad because I do love the place.

So to wrap this up, I really hope the Secretary is reading this as I’d love it if Silloth could promote themselves as a club with a fair ethos, especially compared to the naked greed of so many others ?

Reactions: Zig
D

Deleted member 3432

I’d happily come and play there in that case. Let me guess...Silloth?

If so, even then, they’ve increased by £5 two years straight, which is still well above inflation.

2019 £55
2020 £60 (+9%)
2021 £65 (+8%)

At this rate, by 2025-26, it’ll be a £100, and thus almost double 7 years previously.

Just wanted to demonstrate how even one of the better, fairer clubs’ price increases aren’t quite what they seem.

To be fair to Silloth, their fees are among the best in the country, but if they continue at this rate, they won’t be beyond this decade. And that would make me sad because I do love the place.

So to wrap this up, I really hope the Secretary is reading this as I’d love it if Silloth could promote themselves as a club with a fair ethos, especially compared to the naked greed of so many others ?

I appreciate what you are saying.

As a club we are not rich, but have a 'healthy' surplus which is invested back into the club and course. The clubhouse whilst having character has required quite a lot of upkeep the last few years. The complete irrigation system was replaced over the winter and extended outwards from the greens. Provision has been made to include fairway watering at some points of the course.

At some stage holes 10,11 and 12 will have to be addressed following a long term issue with a caravan owner. This is a holding operation at present but MacKenzie and Ebert have drawn up plans which although looking fantastic, especially the proposed 12th would be a very significant expenditure.

I think the increased green fees and in fact members subs which have increased significantly since I joined in 2012 (still cheaper that my old course which is a bog standard parkland) is just the club ensuring there are no nasty suprises around the corner and not a greedy money grab.

The green fee at £65 (plenty of visitors play 36 holes) still represents fantastic value for a top 100 course.

Silloth as a club are proud of our course and the fact we are viewed as offering a great product to visitors at a relatively low cost .A descision to increase the visitor green fees is just reflecting the higher costs clubs face in the current economic climate.

Alan the secretary has been at Silloth since he was a junior member and sees his job as getting people to come and play the course. If they come once they will be return again, bring their mates and spread the word. Interesting we are seeing more members from the north east, Glasgow, Liverpool areas.

God knows what some courses are going to set green fees at when American visitors return....we certainly arn't going down that route, they pay the normal rate.

The Lion

Visit site
I appreciate what you are saying.

As a club we are not rich, but have a 'healthy' surplus which is invested back into the club and course. The clubhouse whilst having character has required quite a lot of upkeep the last few years. The complete irrigation system was replaced over the winter and extended outwards from the greens. Provision has been made to include fairway watering at some points of the course.

At some stage holes 10,11 and 12 will have to be addressed following a long term issue with a caravan owner. This is a holding operation at present but MacKenzie and Ebert have drawn up plans which although looking fantastic, especially the proposed 12th would be a very significant expenditure.

I think the increased green fees and in fact members subs which have increased significantly since I joined in 2012 (still cheaper that my old course which is a bog standard parkland) is just the club ensuring there are no nasty suprises around the corner and not a greedy money grab.

The green fee at £65 (plenty of visitors play 36 holes) still represents fantastic value for a top 100 course.

Silloth as a club are proud of our course and the fact we are viewed as offering a great product to visitors at a relatively low cost .A descision to increase the visitor green fees is just reflecting the higher costs clubs face in the current economic climate.

Alan the secretary has been at Silloth since he was a junior member and sees his job as getting people to come and play the course. If they come once they will be return again, bring their mates and spread the word. Interesting we are seeing more members from the north east, Glasgow, Liverpool areas.

God knows what some courses are going to set green fees at when American visitors return....we certainly arn't going down that route, they pay the normal rate.

I agree with most of your points. And thanks for all the info; it is really interesting. I can’t wait to play at Silloth again myself; it was only the lockdowns which prevented visits last summer, after a great day there in March 2020, playing it for the first time.

As for the rich Americans, I think that even they have limits. Many top courses charging over £200 or €200 have been hiking fees up to £20 or €20 a year recently - a state of affairs that is even starting to stretch the common 50% or more locals’ green fees in Ireland or Scotland somewhat. This is now being replicated further down the scale, with 10%+ fee increases for the £50-100+ courses too (eg Brora hiked their GF from £95 to £125).

So ultimately, at this rate we’re barely 6-7 years away from £400 round tickets at many top clubs. Surely that’s getting too steep for these islands. The clamour is growing that’s for sure; there are so many complaints on socials now about high green fees - including here.

I’ve actually been saying for a long time that we need a UK & Ireland-wide county card. Question is, do the powers that be have the will to make it happen?