Worrying times ahead for golf clubs

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s like the tax you pay for your car.
You can do 3000 miles or 30,000 miles you still pay the same.
There is no one system that suits everyone, as there are always some that will take the pee.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But what is the club going to do in the 3 "quiet" months? Course still needs to be maintained, staff retained and so on. Subscriptions for the 9 months would have to increase so that the work can continue all year round, as you can't just have three months with no costs.

If you did the numbers fully, it wouldn’t surprise me if the club was no worse off paying the green keepers while it was closed with everyone else on zero contract hours.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It must be workable to only be open for a set number of months per year
Places like Canada, Switzerland etc have snow coverage for a few months every year..everything closes down and reopens in the Spring.
Obviously we don't have the guarantee of snow or even enough rain to warrant it but 2having a plan for these months must be a good idea.
I'm guessing staff laid off go and get seasonal, work in the skiing industry, don't see that option here. I would imagine golf membership is also more exclusive (expensive,)than here.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
If you did the numbers fully, it wouldn’t surprise me if the club was no worse off paying the green keepers while it was closed with everyone else on zero contract hours.
And your clubhouse staff will just suck that up? You'll have re-recruitment issues every year because nobody is sticking around for that

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
a lot of clubs around here have the bar staff on zero hours, only the F&B managers seem to be contracted.
And I think we do too, but you're now saying you're out of work for 3+ months, that's a different thing entirely. As DB7 says above, countries with rough winters will have those staff taking short term winter work in rleated industries, we don't have an equivalent in any area of the UK

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And I think we do too, but you're now saying you're out of work for 3+ months, that's a different thing entirely. As DB7 says above, countries with rough winters will have those staff taking short term winter work in rleated industries, we don't have an equivalent in any area of the UK

At my old club I think the younger ones moved into Christmas retail & hospitality work and then come back as the club house got busier in the spring. It was great for them to prep for college & uni work as they had a 6-8wk break.

Teebs

Visit site
I'm expecting circa +10% rise, so around £95/year extra.
For me, I don't drink, smoke or spend money on other hobbies or interests so the increase is fine.

Our well off 'old guard' have always been in favour of higher fees, but it's come at the cost of attracting new younger members

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm expecting circa +10% rise, so around £95/year extra.
For me, I don't drink, smoke or spend money on other hobbies or interests so the increase is fine.

Our well off 'old guard' have always been in favour of higher fees, but it's come at the cost of attracting new younger members

younger / newbie members with higher mortgages will be the pinch point and the single earning house holds will drop in commitment to 7 day memberships

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
At my old club I think the younger ones moved into Christmas retail & hospitality work and then come back as the club house got busier in the spring. It was great for them to prep for college & uni work as they had a 6-8wk break.
Fair point, it would coincide nicely for the younger staff for sure.