Worrying times ahead for golf clubs

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes me too, but that brings about its own issues, members may well, and quite rightly, feel they are getting less for their membership as a result and even by shutting the clubhouse, I suspect members fees will still need to increase which will exasperate those feelings.
It’s a long and dark road ahead
I think most members will appreciate the situation if it’s explained to them.
Just show them the financial costs and explain what the club want to do.
I can do without the clubhouse until thing change, if it means my club survives.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can do without the clubhouse until thing change, if it means my club survives.
Or the members write to their MP and demand they work to stop it happening. Because if what might happen to our clubs after March happens across business then there are going to be a lot of businesses temporarily closing their doors or indeed collapsing and closing for good.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can’t answer that without getting political.
I know, so I won’t comment on political angles of it, but it might be pretty much all that we as members of the public can do to keep our clubhouses, and for some their clubs, open (unless we all stick money into the hat to pay the bills).

Besides, though I don’t know the numbers, I suspect that a good number of members of my club are SME business owners or are employed by SMEs, and I am not sure that come end March next year renewing their club membership will be top of their spending priorities.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know, but its pretty much all that we as members of the public can do to keep our clubhouses, and for some their clubs, open (unless we all stick money into the hat to pay the bills).

Besides, though I don’t know the numbers, I suspect that a good number of members of my club are SME business owners or are employed by SMEs, and I am not sire that their club membership will be top of their spending priorities.
Let’s be brutally honest golf is a luxury an expensive one. ( depending on your view, sport 24/7 365 days.)
So nobody outside the game will feel sorry for us.
They still think we all wear plus fours and Ronny Corbett jumpers.

Mandofred

Visit site
Let’s be brutally honest golf is a luxury an expensive one. ( depending on your view, sport 24/7 365 days.)
So nobody outside the game will feel sorry for us.
They still think we all wear plus fours and Ronny Corbett jumpers.
And when you add up all the total expenses of playing golf.....membership, drinks, lost balls, new equipment, new jumpers, more....more.....more.... they are probably right.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know, so I won’t comment on political angles of it, but its pretty much all that we as members of the public can do to keep our clubhouses, and for some their clubs, open (unless we all stick money into the hat to pay the bills).

Besides, though I don’t know the numbers, I suspect that a good number of members of my club are SME business owners or are employed by SMEs, and I am not sure that come end March next year renewing their club membership will be top of their spending priorities.
Clubhouse is just a pub on a golf course !
Look what’s happening to the pubs ,hardly any left by mine.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
To me it's crazy that clubs make you pay a levy to "encourage" people to use the bar as its clearly not selling itself. Then they increase subs by a substantial rate to cover the cost to heat and light a facility that many people didn't want to use in the first place.

You can't write this stuff

Albo

Visit site
I’ve no doubt in my mind that they will appreciate the situation. However, many golfers were new to the sport post lockdown and won’t have the historical connection with their club for that to have much sway when it comes to weighing up their own financial situation.
All I’m saying is removing one facet of their membership is not going to help if it comes to justifying the cost.
There are many members who will have an affinity with their club and who will understand and renew anyway and there are those who won’t feel the financial burden as much as other who will renew and there are those for whom golf is important enough to justify making cuts elsewhere before cutting golf and they will renew.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m a member at little 9 hole course (barnehurst) and I last heard there’s circa 500 members and a waiting list.

The bar is always busy with golfers, visitors and a dog walking group plus they’ve just started doing Sunday roasts.

It’s owned by AG so fingers crossed they won’t ramp up the subs next year

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dear Mr Putin. Hop it!

He wrote back. But it's too rude to reproduce here!;)

I was talking to a committee member this week. We currently have a waiting list of about 50. When next year's subs are announced, I wonder what the fall out will be?
As long as it’s not Nuclear fall out

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Interesting and very well attended members meeting last night looking at proposals for clubhouse.

Main constraints are planning (as we are in a highly protected rural area) and funding (obviously) so plans are cautious, as they have to be. Planning effectively rules out building a new clubhouse in either a new location or indeed the current one. We are advised that costs associated with putting together proposals and a planning application would take years and costs a packet - with a very high risk of failure. Besides in the current and foreseeable financial environment a new clubhouse is unaffordable unless a fairy godmother comes along and sprinkles the club with stardust.

One thing that came out of the meeting was the horrendous potential increase in power and gas as we have just come off a fixed rate. Prior to the recently announced government cap the best we could get was a 6-fold increase. If we were paying £30,000 a year - go figure...:eek:

The thing is...it appears that for the club the current government cap on power rate is only until end March 2023...so not the two year cap that applies to residential usage. We have no guidance from suppliers as to what might happen after then, and so we have to assume that the 6-fold increase over our old rate previously provided could kick in. And as much as we might have been trading the last few years with a decent enough surplus that would be wiped out. We would have to have a good look at our clubhouse plans.

Makes our 3.5x increase seem almost reasonable... :oops::rolleyes:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
That’s true by choices I.e. clubs ball etc.
But if your a member of a club you have to pay the fees.
Some won’t be able to.

Plenty of options available for all, I'd prefer a March to October membership they could shut it down for 4 months save the extra costs for me :) #MartinLewis (y)

Today's interest rate hike perfect for the extra spends required if you have savings to work with.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Good ones continue to thrive.

Just look at the green fees and try booking an Open at a decent place, they sell out rapidly.

presuming there is a significant number of people who are well of enough that they can absorb any costs increase in golf, or are willing to sacrifice other areas of their life in order to continue playing. So the top clubs will be fine. But there will also be a large number of people that can afford the increases or are not willing to sacrifice other parts of their life, and will stop playing.

This will then be a vicious circle as clubs will lose out on their money, and make losses, and have to put up prices to try and regain what they lost, potentially pushing more golfers away. Unfortunately there is no easy answer to a recession

Albo

Visit site
My club has just released its fees for next year which have gone up 10ish %, they are also now welcoming new joiners immediately, so the waiting list appears to have vanished