Cost of Living, Inflation, Fuel Costs Etc What if they Were Not Budgeted For

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I mentioned this on another thread but wondered how some clubs are coping. Bearing in mind that fee levels will have been set earlier in the year or even at the end of last year, there must have been plenty of clubs who just did not foresee the massive increases in operating costs at that time. As such, the annual membership fees may have been set far too low to cover the outgoings for the current year.

Are any clubs experiencing this. If so, how are they dealing with it. Are they putting it on the overdraft or are any clubs considering a further fee levy mid year. I am guessing that there may be a very significant rise next year for some if the club has had to use credit to get through any shortfall. I am guessing most clubs do not carry a significant cash reserve fro these things.

Just interested to see how clubs are coping with a significant rise in expenditure accross the board that may not have been on the horizon when budgets were set.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I assume we are dipping into the red relying on next years JF’s to get us back into the black as the club has only just pulled itself straight following miss management from the previous teams. the additional £200 increase per member over 400 members will help for 2023/2024 subs

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I mentioned on a similar thread, we have just committed to Top Tracer, bunker upgrades and new equipment so the board must be confident we are on a steady footing. Hopefully won't lead to massive subs increases to cover any unexpected rises in costs

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I mentioned on a similar thread, we have just committed to Top Tracer, bunker upgrades and new equipment so the board must be confident we are on a steady footing. Hopefully won't lead to massive subs increases to cover any unexpected rises in costs
neil you mention too tracer, does that mean your club is attached to a range or is this solely for members use?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
neil you mention too tracer, does that mean your club is attached to a range or is this solely for members use?
We have a range at the club which is smallish, about 10 bays and the idea is to try and attract a few more casual golfers to use the range and the catering facilities

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
According to a recent communication from the Cairman of the Board we are still on course to make a surplus this year....
Things are obviously tight but they seem to be keeping ahead of the game..

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Last I enquired we were in a position to push on with some projects and had just restructured our finance to reduce outgoings so hopefully our worst case scenario is that the projects go open hold.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of our electricity (possibly more than we need*) is generated from solar panels and the heating from a wood burner which is subsidised with grants**

* surplus is sold to the grid.

** I know of one club that keeps the burners and heating on all through the summer because the 'grant back' give them more than they spend.

This all cost a lot to put in but I understand we will recoup the cost after about 10 years and it somewhere about that now.

We put in Top Tracer on the range and the increase in income is more that covering the cost Also as it entices more non members it also gains us more income on our pay and play 9 hole course as they often use the range then play.

Judging by our additional capital projects started this year (without asking for money from the members) we must be in a fairly healthy position. Our AGM is in October when we see the accounts.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I mentioned this on another thread but wondered how some clubs are coping. Bearing in mind that fee levels will have been set earlier in the year or even at the end of last year, there must have been plenty of clubs who just did not foresee the massive increases in operating costs at that time. As such, the annual membership fees may have been set far too low to cover the outgoings for the current year.

Are any clubs experiencing this. If so, how are they dealing with it. Are they putting it on the overdraft or are any clubs considering a further fee levy mid year. I am guessing that there may be a very significant rise next year for some if the club has had to use credit to get through any shortfall. I am guessing most clubs do not carry a significant cash reserve fro these things.

Just interested to see how clubs are coping with a significant rise in expenditure accross the board that may not have been on the horizon when budgets were set.
Very good question and why I started the other thread re Subs 2023 as we have an all day Board meeting tomorrow to look at what we are going to do in April 23 when our subs are due to gauge forum members views .
We are also looking at a new irrigation system to replace our 50 year old one so will be mindful of that too

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Fingers crossed AG will keep my place going as they only bought it in feb.

The membership is 400 I think, they have P&P golfers plus the driving range always seems busy