Membership cost increase

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
wow an 87.5% increase, that is insane, that cannot just be down to the increase in energy costs and staff wages. What are the those proposing it putting it down to
Alas lots of country members who are from the South East of England continually telling CM we are too cheap and if the course were down south it would be closer to £5k.
The answer is it's not, it's in the Highlands of Scotland and we are already the most expensive club by £200 already. Do they listen..do they "infraction "

evemccc

Visit site
Alas lots of country members who are from the South East of England continually telling CM we are too cheap and if the course were down south it would be closer to £5k.
The answer is it's not, it's in the Highlands of Scotland and we are already the most expensive club by £200 already. Do they listen..do they "infraction "

Can see how infuriating that would be. Some people are v insensitive / short-sighted / ‘infraction’ ignorant

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Do you anticipate losing many if they are successful in getting it through?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Bloody southern infractioners

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Our membership is calendar year. The invoice comes out at the end of this month. I wondered about the wisdom of invoicing at the most expensive time of the year and when the course is looking its worse.

Golf is like any other leisure activity. If you can't afford it you won't do it.
I'm expecting £300 a year increase, that's a fiver a week, not an issue. I'd stop buying alcohol, long before I stopped golf.

But, if you haven't got it, you haven't got it.
Our club used to be calendar year but took the opportunity post covid to reward the members for their loyalty with two free months, January & February and so now the subs become due on the 1st March. Much friendlier in my view.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not heard anything from our club yet but would expect a 10% increase.

Interesting one on visitor prices. I was talking to my BiL who's a member at SAOL and he mentioned that they were putting their visitor prices up from £90 to £150 in 2023. The rationale being that currently a lot of overseas visitors simply don't include SAOL on their list of courses to play in the area as its deemed too cheap to possibly be any good! So by upping the prices they're hoping to attract some of the coachloads of tourists that play Royal Lytham every summer.

Bobthesock

Visit site

Interesting one on visitor prices. I was talking to my BiL who's a member at SAOL and he mentioned that they were putting their visitor prices up from £90 to £150 in 2023. The rationale being that currently a lot of overseas visitors simply don't include SAOL on their list of courses to play in the area as its deemed too cheap to possibly be any good! So by upping the prices they're hoping to attract some of the coachloads of tourists that play Royal Lytham every summer.
I'd pay £50-75 there probably not 90, and defo not 150! I hope they get enough oversees visitors because they sure as heck won't get many local ones

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But pain for whom? The rich retired probably won’t be affected that much, the youngsters are on cheap rate, so yet again it’s the working middle get squeezed, as Patrick said.
This is why I think all members should pay the same ,no exceptions except juniors.
If you want to play pay the going rate.

I would love to drive a Bentley but there are no cheap deals for my age or sex.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
that rich retired pipeline with little or no mortgage isn’t never ending ;)

Generally the income drops and we couldn't pay a mortgage anyway. The state pension is a start but I doubt that hardly any pensioner could pay a golf club membership, and, all the subsequent costs involved with membership without having other sources of income. Even going to 5 day membership only saves a small amount and is rarely worth it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Basically ours.
Under 18
Under 30 no joining fee.
Female no joining fee.
Anywhere else that’s ageist and sexist.
Like seniors only comps.
OAP Discounts
Free bus passes and prescriptions?
and a load of other stuff seniors and pensioners benefit from.

Maybe younger folk and Women need a leg up more than old men?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Our club contract is inflation

We had 10% this year and people moaned and some left .. not being funny its a hobby, not a like energy or petrol or something If it goes up and you can't justify it then it that's that, I found it very hard listening to people moan when there are folk out there not turning on their heating because they can't afford it.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'd pay £50-75 there probably not 90, and defo not 150! I hope they get enough oversees visitors because they sure as heck won't get many local ones

I feel the same tbh, it feels like a bold move on their part. I've only ever played it on guest rates or in handicap team duties.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like seniors only comps.
OAP Discounts
Free bus passes and prescriptions?
and a load of other stuff seniors and pensioners benefit from.

Maybe younger folk and Women need a leg up more than old men?

But their in on a fixed income ... Except when protected by the triple lock most years...

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Our club contract is inflation

We had 10% this year and people moaned and some left .. not being funny its a hobby, not a like energy or petrol or something If it goes up and you can't justify it then it that's that, I found it very hard listening to people moan when there are folk out there not turning on their heating because they can't afford it.

Yeah, thankfully ours is cheap enough that it would only be a 50 quid increase for me.

With another littlun due next year I'm wondering whether to just pay an associate rate at another club to maintain my handicap and then just play opens next year as and when I can.