CASC at your Club

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anybody well versed with the above.

I thought it was for people on lower incomes with various rules with corresponding benefits for The Club.

This was an extract I saw:

This is in line with local authority concessions providing leisure facilities to the community. This membership offer is available to persons on limited income. Any applicant applying under these criteria will need to demonstrate their inability to pay the full fees to the club.

It seems open to abuse especially when subs are increased as it can be £520 to join. How are Club’s means testing applicants for 4 day membership?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anybody well versed with the above.

I thought it was for people on lower incomes with various rules with corresponding benefits for The Club.

This was an extract I saw:

This is in line with local authority concessions providing leisure facilities to the community. This membership offer is available to persons on limited income. Any applicant applying under these criteria will need to demonstrate their inability to pay the full fees to the club.

It seems open to abuse especially when subs are increased as it can be £520 to join. How are Club’s means testing applicants for 4 day membership?
Does it even apply to private members clubs (as many golf clubs are?)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My old club was in casc and my understanding was that it was mainly for tax and business rates relief. While the saving was good during bad times, the increase in subs were capped to a percentage that was very low and they realised after 2-3 years of casc support they needed out.

Since leaving they have added a joining fee and increased subs by around 12% (£1595 up to £1795) which under casc they couldn’t do as I think the cap was around £50 p/a

They also had to offer a lot of discounted categories to be part of casc which have sadly gone.

In short for a struggling it seems casc offers a lifeline, but long term it can be really punishing.

NearHull

Visit site
I opposed CASC when it was proposed at our members club AGM a few years ago. To me, it was being introduced as a tax avoidance scheme and not to promote golf for people who find the costs too high. I didn’t support the proposal because of that cynical misuse of the scheme but I argued against its introduction by citing the disadvantages such as the lack of control of who joins the club and the restrictions placed upon the fees. It was not adopted.