How much are you involved at your club?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
No offence Homer and I agree with most of what you say, but you say its a thankless task yet most committee members get paid for their troubles one way or another. The best members are the ones not getting paid like yourself and people running the BBQ on Captains day or selling raffle tickets and the likes.

I am sorry but I have never ever seen a committee member being paid for their troubles ever! In fact for the 4 years I did it it cost me money, drinks etc during the various monthly meetings and the supposition that committee members were obliged to attend all the club functions. The only thing that, in the last few months on committee we were given were a few sandwiches on the main meeting night as most of us had to forgo our dinners to attend them.

When I did my years of service the only retired people of 16 members on the committee were the representatives of the veterans section, and I dont think that many committee members over the years have been retired people with "lots of time on their hands" they are almost always middle aged business men who do a good job in the main.

There are often people like the poster on this topic who want to do stuff and they are generally encouraged by the club committee but, in my experience, they drift away very quickly and often dont do what they initially promise very well - that, however, is very much a generalisation!

Chris

I guess it depends whether your committee get paid or not, some of ours do, not a great deal but they get some.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do get a little annoyed when people say “why don’t you come on the committee and see if you can do any better” This smacks of if you not prepared to do it then don’t mention it.

I pay my money and I have every right to air my views, suggestions and criticisms without having to go on the committee to prove I really mean it, or to get it done.

I was involved in a trade union for many years and I can honestly say I was responsible for stopping our convener saying to members “why don’t you have a go then”

I appreciate everything that committee members do, always have. But I’m not into throwing things back at people who have the right to ask questions.

I think that's a fair point. The key is how such criticism is made and whether it is constructive or not. Much of the criticism I have observed is quite negative: "The greens are crap."

You can understand that, in the face of such comments, the committee would be tempted to say "Well, come on the committee."

But this is exactly the kind of thing I'm on about. With decent communication and involvement, there's no need for such criticism and also the chance for the members to actively do something about whatever they are bothered about without joining a committee.

mjsw13

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great effort Parmo - any golf club that doesn't have a website in this day in age doesn't have a chance of attracting fees. When someone mentions a golf course, the first thing I do is google it - if they have no website, or a really outdated one, I'm instantly put off.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great effort Parmo - any golf club that doesn't have a website in this day in age doesn't have a chance of attracting fees. When someone mentions a golf course, the first thing I do is google it - if they have no website, or a really outdated one, I'm instantly put off.

Very true. Ours isn't great. The photos certainly don't do it justice.

There must be a few members interested in photography. Why not run a photography competition to see if you can get some better photos for the club and it's website?