Student Rates at your club?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with that completely, however it should be done on a loyalty basis, x% off subs after Y years, that can stack up. IE: someone who's been paying full subs for 20 years and is 40. should pay the same as someone who pays full subs for 20 years and is 60.

My club has a Senior 65+ Fee, which is the cheapest. And there is no requirement to have been a member previously to be eligible.

Getting back on track RE: students. Unless you are from a very poor background or a very rich background. You have to work at Uni anyway, normal students loan won't even cover rent in most cities. However the Uni's do everything they can to limit you to 15 hours of work max a week. So it's catch 22.

My club requires that you must be over 65yrs with a minimum of 25 years continuous service as a FULL member, before you qualify for a 50%discount [ also 50%joining fee was in place back then]
If your unlucky enough to fall short of the criteria by even 1 day, in age or service you must wait till the next season before you get the age/ long service discount .
But you will still be paying more than the new under 30s members , juniors, and ladies.
Could I sign up as a very mature Open University student " and maybe get a bigger discount, without any lasting commitment or having previous loyalty service :whistle:

Obviously I'm thinking English [ grammar, spelling etc] course.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So what did you do instead?

If there was a discount available, would you have taken it?

Would the club (as a business) have benefitted from this money?

Well I gave up golf for the 3 years I was at University. This then stopped me playing for another further 3 years I lost interest in the sport and wasn't sure how to get back into it.

If there was a discount available then Yes of course. I think for students wavering the joining fee is a must since they aren't guaranteed to be there for too long. Student golf societies do exist but thats it.... a society. If there was a special rate at one of the local clubs I am sure businesses would profit as they would probably all join one club as it would work out cheaper.

Staggering seems fairer way of doing it though as you cannot charge students one price and people in their young twenties another just because they work full time.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't see why it has to be "students" that get a young persons discount. Our club has half fees for 18-25 yr olds, and after that it's full fees.
Life is full of choices, some you like some you don't. No point whingeing about it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's easy to go drinking when everywhere is £1 a pint!

I can see both sides of the argument. But unless you offer the discounts to students, you won't have students playing at all.

The thing that Irks me, is Seniors getting discount.

I'm pretty sure they only get a discount if they have been at the club for a seriously long period (like 20 or 30 years). It's probably fairly reasonable to allow these folk a reduction - as their income is often also reduced - in these circumstances!

And I confess to being a Senior, but not one that would qualify for such a discount!

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Senior should get discounts either.

It should be done on loyalty rather than age. 20 years loyalty gains 20% discount or something, rather than over 60's / 65s's.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I look at it from the business perspective, i.e. students that get discounted rates subsidise my membership because they wouldn't otherwise be members and therefore wouldn't be paying anything.

Some people choose to approach these things from a "I don't get cheap rates so why should anyone else perspective", and to be honest, I don't think that's unreasonable in some situations, particularly at clubs where age based discounts are offered to people up to the age of 30 / 35. In this day and age there are a lot of two income young professional couples with no children who have more time and disposable income than pretty much everyone else, except perhaps those that are luckly enough to be retiring with some wealth.

It's almost impossible to design a system that pleases all members, but in my view, students discounted memberships aren't a problem.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
East Ren is a very good course and they seem to be very proactive in generating new income for the course.

Enjoy yourself, its a stunning place to play your golf. Especially during the summer months!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
East Ren is a very good course and they seem to be very proactive in generating new income for the course.

Enjoy yourself, its a stunning place to play your golf. Especially during the summer months!

Thanks! Looking forward to it. Think I'll be out every evening in the summer (if I can get away with it).

They have some great deals on at the moment, including a refund of your joining fees over the 4th, 5th and 6th year of your membership- that's the standard ordinary member deal.

They are also doing up the clubhouse soon.