Student Rates at your club?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does your club offer rates for students? I know that many offer staggered fees between the ages of 18-28, but as we know these can still be quite expensive, especially if those in this age bracket are in full time education.

I was 'shopping around' for a new club and was surprised by the lack of acknowledgement of this demographic. I know it's a bit of a risk- the student may graduate and not consider paying full fees (and joining fees) once they graduate. On the other hand, if the student is welcomed into the club, builds a group of friends and feels a part of things, then on graduation they might not consider looking for another club.

For example, I have just signed up for a Membership with East Renfrewshire GC for the tiny sum of £282 (plus bar, SGU fees and key fob deposit).

Next year, I would be more than happy to start paying my joining fee while the subs are heavily discounted if I feel that I want to continue as a member with the club for years to come (which is likely as their staff have handled my membership brilliantly and I really like the course). Essentially, there's a good chance they have won a decade's worth of business (and beyond) by releasing this offer.

Thoughts?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does your club offer rates for students? I know that many offer staggered fees between the ages of 18-28, but as we know these can still be quite expensive, especially if those in this age bracket are in full time education.

I was 'shopping around' for a new club and was surprised by the lack of acknowledgement of this demographic. I know it's a bit of a risk- the student may graduate and not consider paying full fees (and joining fees) once they graduate. On the other hand, if the student is welcomed into the club, builds a group of friends and feels a part of things, then on graduation they might not consider looking for another club.

For example, I have just signed up for a Membership with East Renfrewshire GC for the tiny sum of £282 (plus bar, SGU fees and key fob deposit).

Next year, I would be more than happy to start paying my joining fee while the subs are heavily discounted if I feel that I want to continue as a member with the club for years to come (which is likely as their staff have handled my membership brilliantly and I really like the course). Essentially, there's a good chance they have won a decade's worth of business (and beyond) by releasing this offer.

Thoughts?

My personal view (i dont want to offend anyone), is that students make the choice to go to university, no one makes them go, so they shouldnt receive any prefferential treatment from other people in their age demographic (Such as me). I know too many students that think they should be handed stuff on a plate yet still have the funds to go out and drink every night.

I have this opinion for everything student related, whether its clothing discounts or cinema discounts.

I wouldnt have an issue with a 'home' club allowing a student to become a 'country' member whilst they are studying away though as it would encourage loyalty once they returned home. Or even not charge them for the terms time months etc.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get your point. I would counter it with this-

Whilst a student chooses to go to uni or even drink every night, they also choose where their money goes. They choose not to golf as it's too expensive (due to the price of a pint just now).

The question is, if a club comes along and offers a cheap deal (say, a month's worth of beer money) would that student be MORE likely or LESS likely to join that club on full rates following graduation? Would that club benefit or lose out by receiving cheaper subscriptions from new student members, even if they didn't join on full rates following graduation?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have this opinion for everything student related, whether its clothing discounts or cinema discounts.

Students are often cash rich (in comparison to those with mortgages, student loan repayments, car payments etc), it makes perfect business sense to offer incentives to spend that cash through discount schemes. I don't believe it's a case of trying to support the poor students during their time of need.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Whilst a student chooses to go to uni or even drink every night, they also choose where their money goes. They choose not to golf as it's too expensive (due to the price of a pint just now).

The question is, if a club comes along and offers a cheap deal (say, a month's worth of beer money) would that student be MORE likely or LESS likely to join that club on full rates following graduation? Would that club benefit or lose out by receiving cheaper subscriptions from new student members, even if they didn't join on full rates following graduation?

Surely most students will move away when they've graduated so won't therefore join the golf club.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
My personal view (i dont want to offend anyone), is that students make the choice to go to university, no one makes them go, so they shouldnt receive any prefferential treatment from other people in their age demographic (Such as me). I know too many students that think they should be handed stuff on a plate yet still have the funds to go out and drink every night.

I wouldnt have an issue with a 'home' club allowing a student to become a 'country' member whilst they are studying away though as it would encourage loyalty once they returned home. Or even not charge them for the terms time months etc.

I think that's one way of looking at it. Short sighted when it comes to golf though, in my opinion.

Personally, I had a junior membership at a club (many moons ago now) but when I turned 18 it was onto full subs. I was a student and simply had no chance of affording it so I gave it up and was "lost" to golf for over 20 years. That might not have been a big issue for the club back then but times have changed.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

So to answer your question, yes it would make sense, in very much the same way that offering free/very cheap junior memberships makes sense. I think it encourages loyalty and its a small risk given that its £282 (in your example) they wouldnt have got otherwise.

However, as a member would i be p!ssed off if a mate of mine was paying half the price of me because he's choosen to go and study for a degree? Absolutely.

Its a play off between keeping members happy and running a business.

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely most students will move away when they've graduated so won't therefore join the golf club.

I thought about this Chellie. I would imagine that there would be a number of students who do move 'back home' after uni, however, there would also be a number of students who make a home in their new city. Also, many students come home for the summer (May to September sometimes!) and as such their 'home' clubs could be attracting their summer and winter business. Furthermore, there are also students who go to uni whilst living at home and I think this type of offer would certainly be aimed at them.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that's one way of looking at it. Short sighted when it comes to golf though, in my opinion.

Personally, I had a junior membership at a club (many moons ago now) but when I turned 18 it was onto full subs. I was a student and simply had no chance of affording it so I gave it up and was "lost" to golf for over 20 years. That might not have been a big issue for the club back then but times have changed.

I agree with what your saying, but should we offer discounts to someone when they first buy a house then? or have a child?

All lifestyle choices we make?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with what your saying, but should we offer discounts to someone when they first buy a house then? or have a child?

All lifestyle choices we make?

I take your point but becoming a (full time) student restricts your income much more than buying a house or having a child so a slightly different case, in my opinion.

Visit site
Morning All,

In these times where club membership is falling, clubs should be doing all they can in which to attract all members to there clubs. Being a serving member of the Royal Navy and currently serving away in the Middle East, my club that I belong to agree to suspend my Membership whilst I am away abroad on tour. My club which is part of Crown Golf offer a 18-34 Membership incentive to capture the students that we are discussing. I know that they are a large group and can afford to offset the costs a little, but surely some money through the door is better than none, and you may also drag a few of his mates along also, which may become permanent members once they have graduated.

Richie

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
However, as a member would i be p!ssed off if a mate of mine was paying half the price of me because he's choosen to go and study a degree he had very little need for? Absolutely.

Its a play off between keeping members happy and running a business.

Don't quite understand the bit in bold but yes, I get your point. My mate is joining the same club as me and he is paying around double my fees (and a joining fee). I think I would be a little annoyed, yes.

I think that's the reason why joining fees are still in place at clubs where, if they really looked at things from a business point of view, they would be better to scrap it. Say, for example, a club projects that by scrapping a joining fee of £1000 that they would bring in 2 times as many new members paying £800 a year in subs each. The obvious business answer is to scrap the joining fee and increase the membership numbers (therefore, more bar sales, pro shop sales, better chance of customer retention for future etc). However, as you say, it's finding a balance because no doubt those who have paid their £1k joining fee would question the decision as they will feel personally penalised.

I would suggest that it would be useful, at this stage, to consider the difference between 'the member' and 'the customer'. As a member, one would see the long term benefits of scrapping the fee (or offering the student discount, or whatever) but as a customer, one would feel that their loyalty was not being rewarded (think about car insurance renewals). This is where the balance has to come from, and I'm glad that I'm not running a GC as I wouldn't like that kind of headache.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I take your point but becoming a (full time) student restricts your income much more than buying a house or having a child so a slightly different case, in my opinion.

Absolutely, i'm just throwing my views out there, not saying anyone is wrong at all.

On a business perspective, i 100% agree that offering discounts makes sense.
Morally, do i think its correct in terms of fairness to everyone else, absolutley not.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't quite understand the bit in bold but yes, I get your point. My mate is joining the same club as me and he is paying around double my fees (and a joining fee). I think I would be a little annoyed, yes.

I think that's the reason why joining fees are still in place at clubs where, if they really looked at things from a business point of view, they would be better to scrap it. Say, for example, a club projects that by scrapping a joining fee of £1000 that they would bring in 2 times as many new members paying £800 a year in subs each. The obvious business answer is to scrap the joining fee and increase the membership numbers (therefore, more bar sales, pro shop sales, better chance of customer retention for future etc). However, as you say, it's finding a balance because no doubt those who have paid their £1k joining fee would question the decision as they will feel personally penalised.

I would suggest that it would be useful, at this stage, to consider the difference between 'the member' and 'the customer'. As a member, one would see the long term benefits of scrapping the fee (or offering the student discount, or whatever) but as a customer, one would feel that their loyalty was not being rewarded (think about car insurance renewals). This is where the balance has to come from, and I'm glad that I'm not running a GC as I wouldn't like that kind of headache.

Sorry, i removed that comment as i didnt want to dispute the validity of a degree in many examples. I was talking about the fact you can do (for example) a degree in international football management.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think hard working people with mortages and kids should get discounted rates, where as students with no financial commitments and enough money to go drinking every night should pay full whack :whistle:

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I think hard working people with mortages and kids should get discounted rates, where as students with no financial commitments and enough money to go drinking every night should pay full whack :whistle:

It's easy to go drinking when everywhere is £1 a pint!

I can see both sides of the argument. But unless you offer the discounts to students, you won't have students playing at all.

The thing that Irks me, is Seniors getting discount.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

If someone pays a joining fee though surely they are more committed to remaining at that club and paying fees each year so income wouldn't be decreased. Nomadic golfers will surely join a club at a cheap rate and then simply move on the year after when it's subs time again. Sure there's been posts on here about doing that. Also, not all clubs are struggling. Joining fee at ours and a waiting list for the men. Think the only ones with room round here are the ones who have no joining fee or a reduced rate joining fee offer.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's easy to go drinking when everywhere is £1 a pint!

I can see both sides of the argument. But unless you offer the discounts to students, you won't have students playing at all.

The thing that Irks me, is Seniors getting discount.

Surely Seniors are likely to have paid full fees for a very long time though.