Membership cost increase

Visit site
I think from our clubs point of view, we have gone from being a cheap club, easily one of the cheapest in the area, where the previous management tried to keep fees (both membership and green fees) down in the hope of getting more footfall, and additionally offering deals and underselling the value of membership or a round of golf in order to generate revenue streams. Unfortunately, running the club on such tight margins, doesn't allow for any cushion should said revenue streams dry up, and without spare cash, doesn't allow for any course development, and restricts maintenance to pretty much the bare minimum, resulting in declining course standards in recent years.

Obviously wider economic issues and Covid have added further "stress" to club finances. Add in the fact that we are a short course and the outside perception is that short and cheap equals crap (though societies that return year on year would indicate otherwise) which has a resulting knock on effect that may prevent folks from even considering playing the course.

The new management have come in with a different outlook....price the membership in line with maybe the "2nd tier" of pricing in the area, maybe just a little bit below our immediate local competitors (I think the price hike now sees us as the 5th most expensive in the area), increase the green fees (now £50 to play weekend and bank holiday mornings, £45 for the afternoons...we used to be £30), actively seek sponsorship (we now have every hole sponsored by a local business) etc etc...hell we've even introduced a joining fee and for the first time in memory (and I've been a member for 23 years now) we have intermediate categories for under 17's and under 25's.

Its just a more progressive attitude that, at least in the short term, appears to be reaping benefits.
I think what your club has done is the right path. In the end, cheap and poor quality is itself a risk and a race to the bottom.

The interesting part is the balance to strike. Benchmarking to other clubs makes sense in evalating your appeal to new members but for existing members, 'value' doesn't work like that. It is judging whether your costs have risen in real terms and if they have, can you notice any significant improvements that justify that increase.

In your clubs case, the answers are 'yes and yes'. In mine it is, in my judgement, 'yes and not really'. That isn't sustainable long term.

Swango1980

Visit site
No surprise option 1 isn't popular, the others look great value in comparison
I don't know the numbers but with the cost of everyday items like a big mac or a starbucks, you'd think a fiver for pack 2 and tenner for pack 3 would still be good value and make option 1 more popular for the regulars
It was even more extreme when I left the club. Full membership was still around £900. But the Budget membership was around £200, then £6 at weekends and £4 midweek.

I was one of the very few on full membership, because I typically play most Saturday and Sunday's, and a good few times midweek from April-September. It made financial sense, although then I was hit much harder during Covid. All those Budget members (most of the club) simply weren't playing golf and therefore not paying £6 and £4 a round, whereas I'd already coughed up about £900