Masters viewing figures 2016: BBC vs Sky

D

Deleted member 18588

it comes down to ,if you want it ,pay for it ,the beeb obviously dont want it.

And it would appear that the Great British public don't share our enthusiasm for golf if the comments on here are any guide.

The majority on here seem to favour Sky so it would seem that the less committed or non-golfers take their golf from BBC.

With the sort of viewing figures shown here I am surprised that Sky manage to sell any advertising slots.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have sky and do watch quite a lot of golf on sky 4, however I do find the coverage disjointed via US feeds and the continual adverts and returns to the studio for 'analysis/filling time' are irritating. However I do like Ewan Murray and Butch Harmon and even Monty (in short bursts). You have to give credit to sky for their commitment to sport and golf in particular, having said that I watched the Saturday and Sunday of the masters on the BBC, Ken Brown and Peter Alliss superb.

BTW, I hope everybody who has sky renegotiates on an annual basis, I havnt paid their headline rate for years.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sky don't have commitment to Golf, they just want a monopoly on golf and all popular sports so that people are forced into paying for Sky if they want to watch them.

If kabaddi became a huge sensation then Sky would buy all the rights to it so you could only watch it if you paid Sky.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH i didn't watch any of the masters, it just doesn't float my boat.

But Sky V's BBC, Sky is much better except when they get Monty commentating...did you know he won the Rider cup??:rofl::rofl:

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Have Sky Sports HD, but watched it on the BBC. Alliss drives the wife potty with some of his inane comments, and it's worth watching just for that ;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sky don't have commitment to Golf, they just want a monopoly on golf and all popular sports so that people are forced into paying for Sky if they want to watch them.

If kabaddi became a huge sensation then Sky would buy all the rights to it so you could only watch it if you paid Sky.

Coincidentally I was just telling a mate last week that I'd like to see more kabaddi on TV... he said don't hold your breath!

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i was flicking through the channels and found kabbadi on last week so it is out there if you look - ironically i think it was one of the sky channels...

channel 4 showed it back in the day. they hoped they'd repeat the success they had in showing the NFL. they didn't.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to that graph Sky started with 1.1M viewers then 30 minutes later, down to 250k? Lost 850k viewers?!? Hmmm. :confused: What's the source of these figures?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Coincidentally I was just telling a mate last week that I'd like to see more kabaddi on TV... he said don't hold your breath!

didn't the beeb show it a few years back?

i was flicking through the channels and found kabbadi on last week so it is out there if you look - ironically i think it was one of the sky channels...

channel 4 showed it back in the day. they hoped they'd repeat the success they had in showing the NFL. they didn't.

Ok enough's enough

I was happy to let it stand when it was just one person but not two...

joke.jpg

D

Deleted member 18588

According to that graph Sky started with 1.1M viewers then 30 minutes later, down to 250k? Lost 850k viewers?!? Hmmm. :confused: What's the source of these figures?

Good question.

I feel that much of the discussion over whose coverage is better is misleading, Surely, at an event like The Masters it is purely about whose commentary and analysis one prefers.

The live pictures are provided by the host broadcaster and neither Sky nor BBC have any control over them.

The Open will be the real test of Sky's coverage as they will, there, be the host.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Stick the FA cup final on sky and on the BBC and who do you think would get the most viewers?

All those figures tell us is that many people who watched the Masters dont have a sky subscription.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what Ive seen of previous figures (even Ryder cup) the viewing figures don't seem to go that much higher (not even close to bbc figures) so I guess growing the game and being better for game can only go so far (ie 300-400k people)

For Open viewing there will be only one choice, so unless lots of people decide on NowTv then maybe these figures won't get much better.

How many golfers pay for sky sports with the sole intention of watching golf is probably an impossible to answer question, but I doubt there are many people that pay for the package and don't watch anything else ... probably far more are happy to pay to watch football and watch the golf when it's on as a bonus.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
It bugs me that Sky want it both ways. You pay to watch the BBC - but you don't get adverts. ITV has adverts - but they don't get any of the TV licence money. Sky have it both ways - the viewer pays and they have to watch adverts anyway.

I don't have a Sky subscription but, as the BBC has lost the Open coverage, I have just bought a Now TV box to enable me to buy Sky Sports in weekly chunks. Paying my money to Murdoch will really grate though.