Masters viewing figures 2016: BBC vs Sky

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the bbc have proven they are not interested in golf, sky love em or hate em have proved that they are committed to golf. I chose sky, just better all round

DCB

Visit site
Sorry, but, the BBC is just paying lip service to it's golf coverage. It was Sky for our household.

Just wait till the BBC cuts back on the tennis coverage and Queens and Wimbledon are affected, there will be more of an outcry the than there ever was when any of the other sports started to lose their coverage.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There was a massive tail off at the end of the tournament and it does seem that a good number of Sky viewers stopped watching or changed to BBC early in the evening.

I accept that a lot of people like Sky - and that is why they exist. Me, I'll never pay what Sky are asking for a huge number of TV channels the majority of which I will never want to watch.

I think it's a shame the BBC has abandoned golf, I wonder how much of the decision was their own perceived inability to compete with the vast sums of money Sky and now BT have available to throw at sport coverage.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only reason to watch the BBC is to avoid the many and repeated adverts. You just get sick of the same gambling ads shown over and over - and I have Sky for the other 363 days of the year when BBC don't cover golf!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have Sky(non HD Sky) through VM, watched the first 2 days on Sky, but as as soon as the BBC had their live HD coverage I swapped and stayed with the BBC.
Whilst I dislike the BBC giving up their sports coverage, I finid even more distastful that Sky degrade their normal feed to push you towards their HD coverage.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
there were hardly any adverts in the masters and they were only 30 secs.

Indeed and I found them very unobtrusive. Will be interesting when they do the open without the bbc providing an alternative option whether they stick with this format or go with their normal pga tour advert schedule.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've got Sky but watched all the weekend coverage on BBC. I'd much rather listen to Alliss than Montgomerie :eek:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What this does show is the huge number of people who won't be watching Golf on tv anymore..
Some will get Sky, some will use NowTV or similar and some will use streams but there will be many many more that won't want the extra expense/hassle of using another system and will, therefore, not watch...
It will be interesting to see the figures for The Open this year...if an average of 300/350k watched The Masters they won't get anywhere near the Beebs numbers..
I just find it sad, whatever the reasons, that the majority won't be able to watch Golf on the TV.