LIV Golf

Leftitshort

Visit site
Was listening to rick shiels podcast earlier. The novelty of liv does wear off quickly however they are fantastic at drip feeding interest

first people were interested in the idea of it. some got bored

then byrson signs.. now its like meh
then brooks.. wow brooks.. people watch.. some stayed

repeated the same with cam smith, rahm

even Kim. people were like oh hello. lets see how he does..

almost click bait with their signings
Another good point. It’s almost as though there is no substance to back up the hype. Professional golf has a problem, the product on both tours is in main a poor spectacle. The viewing figures on both don’t justify the purses. The sponsors, or the fellas with a passing interest in dissection, get bored, the bubble bursts

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Was listening to rick shiels podcast earlier. The novelty of liv does wear off quickly however they are fantastic at drip feeding interest

Because it's soulless.
The only thing it has is money.
As I've said from the beginning...if the product was any good they wouldn't have to pay 18 Major wins worth of cash to sign someone like Hatton...or over 100 to get Rahm.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another good point. It’s almost as though there is no substance to back up the hype. Professional golf has a problem, the product on both tours is in main a poor spectacle. The viewing figures on both don’t justify the purses. The sponsors, or the fellas with a passing interest in dissection, get bored, the bubble bursts

This is where I am now tbh. Golf is boring, in my opinion, to watch on the TV

Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching the majors and the Ryder cup, plus the players

Other than that ... Bit meh

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I'm reading it, a poster has deleted their account - not sure why the mods are getting flak for attempting to control the direction of the debate on the thread.

There are still plenty of posters around to counter debate from both sides, let's move on.

The point being that many threads are steered by certain individual's yet this seems to be the only one which has needed mod intervention.

To be clear there is no flak at any mods, more curiosity as to why people can be extremely active in this particular discussion yet only one is reprimanded for it.

Anyway….

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The point being that many threads are steered by certain individual's yet this seems to be the only one which has needed mod intervention.

To be clear there is no flak at any mods, more curiosity as to why people can be extremely active in this particular discussion yet only one is reprimanded for it.

Anyway….

Others are modded aswell to be fair. Lists have been banned and others warned

I was given a point the other day for crossing the line on another thread

I'd say the mods are very fair.

evemccc

Visit site

Err, what???

That’s no different to anything else - company or sports tour who wants to drum up interest or try to create a story..🤣🤣

The PGA Tour marketing and Tour-run media, last year went from hyper-focus on teaching pro Michael Block nearly winning, to pro debut of feted amateur Ludwig, to Nick Dunlap’s success as an actual amateur…. Throw in a sorry or two about Tiger coming back or being injury and it’s the same ‘drip-drip click-bait’

It’s normal for companies or whatever to try to create a story or interest point to further its own ends

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Err, what???

That’s no different to anything else - company or sports tour who wants to drum up interest or try to create a story..🤣🤣

The PGA Tour marketing and Tour-run media, last year went from hyper-focus on teaching pro Michael Block nearly winning, to pro debut of feted amateur Ludwig, to Nick Dunlap’s success as an actual amateur…. Throw in a sorry or two about Tiger coming back or being injury and it’s the same ‘drip-drip click-bait’

It’s normal for companies or whatever to try to create a story or interest point to further its own ends

It's the fact that it's been dropped at almost every single event rather than all at once

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Something to back it up? Mel, I'm not even trying to be annoying here; it's just objectively true that LIV does not have good viewing figures. 200k people watching something in the United States is not good (I grew up there, for reference) — no-name university basketball games receive better viewership than that.

I'm not saying you're 100% wrong that LIV will eventually swallow the PGA tour. If they continue to spend an unreasonable amount of money, it's probably inevitable. But why do you insist that they have good viewing figures at the moment? The PGA playing field has been destroyed by LIV, and its product is no longer as strong, but it still dominates LIV in terms of viewership, attention from sponsors, etc.

You say I need something to back it up... is your evidence that 200k people in America watched on TV? Your own data proves my point.

AddisonRoad

Visit site

Mel, you need to ask yourself why you believe such outlandish figures. In what world is CaffeineTV, which no one had ever heard of until last week, producing more viewership than YouTube, TV, and all other viewing channels combined? For reference, the final round of the PGA Championship (major) got 4.5 million viewers last year.

Again, I'm not trying to be combative. I assume you genuinely believe the stuff that you post on here. Why are you so desperate to believe that this tournament was one of the most widely watched golf tournaments of the past few years? Especially considering it was broadcast outside of viewing hours in the world's largest golf-watching nation (USA).

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Mel, you need to ask yourself why you believe such outlandish figures. In what world is CaffeineTV, which no one had ever heard of until last week, producing more viewership than YouTube, TV, and all other viewing channels combined? For reference, the final round of the PGA Championship (major) got 4.5 million viewers last year.

Again, I'm not trying to be combative. I assume you genuinely believe the stuff that you post on here. Why are you so desperate to believe that this tournament was one of the most widely watched golf tournaments of the past few years? Especially considering it was broadcast outside of viewing hours in the world's largest golf-watching nation (USA).

Across all content, not individual live viewers.

This could be clips on twitter too. 6m is not an outlandish number at all.

PGAT got 1m views on a post on twitter yesterday of a photo of 1 golfer and 3 sportsmen playing a pro-AM.......

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Across all content, not individual live viewers.

This could be clips on twitter too. 6m is not an outlandish number at all.

PGAT got 1m views on a post on twitter yesterday of a photo of 1 golfer and 3 sportsmen playing a pro-AM.......

If you look on Twitter, Caffeine posted one video about LIV Jeddah and it got 15k views. And it was actually before the tournament, not even content from the event. The same is true on instagram (one post, not even a video). Still want to double down on this @Mel Smooth??

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I’m not desperate to believe anything mate. I’m just reproducing evidence that’s put out there to support the argument that there’s a substantial and growing interest in the LIV product.

If all you can come to the table with is “it can’t be right because I say so” then I’m afraid that’s not going to get you far in the debate.

Streaming is the future, Caffeine has a substantial number of subscribers in the US - or is their claim of 35 million active users something that’s also been made up to make LIV look good? IMG_3664.jpeg

wjemather

Visit site

Throwing numbers around for comparison is not helpful when they are not remotely measuring the same thing. Views and viewership are two entirely different metrics, never mind the geography. And the caffeine numbers relate to all content, not just live golf; i.e. 10 posts getting 15k views is 150k total views.

And obviously, you not hearing of something doesn't mean nobody has heard of it (before last week).

AddisonRoad

Visit site
I'm just asking for basic reasoning.

LIV Golf's YouTube channel has had around 50 million total views since it was established in 2021. So both of you (@wjemather and @Mel Smooth) believe that CaffeineTV content related to a single tournament (probably the least-watched one on LIV's schedule this year so far) has exceeded 1/10th of the total views/interactions on LIV's YouTube channel since its inception. And you believe this knowing that YouTube has billions of global users, is viewable without an account or subscription, and was the primary source of LIV's viewership and promotion until recently...?

wjemather

Visit site
I'm just asking for basic reasoning.

LIV Golf's YouTube channel has had around 50 million total views since it was established in 2021. So both of you (@wjemather and @Mel Smooth) believe that CaffeineTV content related to a single tournament (probably the least-watched one on LIV's schedule this year so far) has exceeded 1/10th of the total views/interactions on LIV's YouTube channel since its inception. And you believe this knowing that YouTube has billions of global users, is viewable without an account or subscription, and was the primary source of LIV's viewership and promotion until recently...?
Sorry, but you are clearly not understanding what the figures being given actually measure.

wjemather

Visit site
What do they measure then? I’m not referencing live views on YouTube. I’m referencing all views of YouTube content.
(Legitimate) "views" are not counted in the same way across all platforms. YT has strong measures in place to prevent inflation of numbers (or, being cynical, keep them down) because that's how they pay content providers.