LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The bit in bold is certainly the narrative being pushed by Liv, but in reality he earned double his paycheck from those birdies, plus crucial points for a player likely top need a top half finish to secure his spot next year. Nothing will convince me, or the vast majority of people I suspect, that being part of a team provided any extra motivation than the benefits he got from an individual perspective.
I'm more interested in the individual, see the team part as more as a bit of fun/distraction.
Where I think it has shown up a few times is the '4th player' - so the one who is well out of a top half finish but has a chance to contribute. Like Vincent (K). +4 on R2 to -2 for R3.

P.S. the gang at the OWGR maybe disagree with you 🤣😉

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Watch it again, as soon as the camera went to the interview Neiman said it without any questions being asked. Then, yes, the interviewer did say that but that was the first thing that was said by Nieman

Yeah, I heard it last night, but to say Boulet skirted round the topic is inaccurate. He went into a discussion about the round and the win, then went back to talking about the majors. (y)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The bit in bold is certainly the narrative being pushed by Liv, but in reality he earned double his paycheck from those birdies, plus crucial points for a player likely top need a top half finish to secure his spot next year. Nothing will convince me, or the vast majority of people I suspect, that being part of a team provided any extra motivation than the benefits he got from an individual perspective.

It may or may not have being part of his motivation - remember, he'll have been playing team golf all through his college years, so will understand the value of his performances whether good or bad. But the point being, for those that saying the team element makes no sense, is that any player can help propel their team into a winning position - which Caleb did yesterday, so it adds another dimension.

I'd be amazed if there are many people posting on here that haven't been part of a team when playing golf at some point - the notion that it has little place in golf doesn't add up.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I can see the positives of having everyone on the course at the same time, but you don't get someone who has started earlier setting a lead to be chased down for example. A final round where someone in the pack lights it up and sets a target of 3 or 4 better than where the leader is makes for some of the best round action. I think it changes the mindset of the players at the top of the leaderboard. I know it doesnt happen that often, but its great when you get that.

We play our Sunday morning comps as a shotgun start, from a social point of view its great that everyone is there together and the clubhouse is lively afterwards. All players are there for a drink or two, prize giving for the comp and we also have a raffle. However, I'm not that big a fan of not playing the course from holes 1-18. I think a course has a flow to it from it being designed to play 1-18, you lose this when messing with the order.

The team aspect, I would like to see something different on the 1st day. A scramble, or a better ball would mix it up and help create that team buy in.

@Mel Smooth as someone who has bought into this from the get go, would be good to hear which team you support and why (if there is one).

Don't have a specific team, but there are teams that I hope do well and pay more attention to - Crushers because I like Bryson, RangeGoats because they came up with a great concept for their promotional stuff, and Bubba is great value, and finally The Fireballs, Sergio left the youth with an amazing memory from Centurion when he handed him a signed ball.

We'll see over time if that develops into me having one standout favorite team, but that would take a few years to develop I'd imagine.

evemccc

Visit site
It may or may not have being part of his motivation - remember, he'll have been playing team golf all through his college years, so will understand the value of his performances whether good or bad. But the point being, for those that saying the team element makes no sense, is that any player can help propel their team into a winning position - which Caleb did yesterday, so it adds another dimension.

I'd be amazed if there are many people posting on here that haven't been part of a team when playing golf at some point - the notion that it has little place in golf doesn't add up.

Agree.
Representing your Club in a match, Pairs match in Foursomes and Fourball, Texas Scramble, Best 3 from 4 etc etc - all part of Team Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Every single team event i have played since starting golf has been Matchplay

Whether that be - social 4bbb throwing the balls up

Club matches - 4bbb matchplay

Scratch - singles matchplay

Scratch foursomes - matchplay

All the team games we play at a club and county level is matchplay

it’s all matchplay

The biggest team events in golf - Ryder Cup , Presidents Cup and Solheim Cup - matchplay

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

it’s all matchplay

The biggest team events in golf - Ryder Cup , Presidents Cup and Solheim Cup - matchplay

You never played a scramble, or pairs, pro am or am am event - are they all Matchplay?

You seem so focussed on keeping golf just the way it has been, that you can’t see the opportunities for it to grow by allowing it to change.

Thankfully, we’re all different and some people will embrace and encourage new ideas.

D

Deleted member 15344

You never played a scramble, or pairs, pro am or am am event - are they all Matchplay?

You seem so focussed on keeping golf just the way it has been, that you can’t see the opportunities for it to grow by allowing it to change.

Thankfully, we’re all different and some people will embrace and encourage new ideas.
Are the playing scramble or a pro am as pairs ? Or better ball ?

Or are they playing as singles in different groups then just adding scores together

You brought up what players do at a club but i don’t think I have ever seen at our club the team format that LIV are doing so how is it relevant ?

People haven’t said that team golf doesn’t have its place - it does , the Ryder Cup is very successful

That doesn’t mean that the format LIV have dreamed up works

wjemather

Visit site
it’s all matchplay
From international level down, there is stroke play team golf. Here are just a few:

World Cup of Golf
Europcar Cup (European Tour)
Eisenhower Trophy
Espirito Santo Trophy
NCAA Championship
England Golf County Championship qualifiers
England Golf Champion Club
County Champion Club

And lots of other team golf is best ball (commonly 2 from 3 or 3 from 4) or just regular stroke play (total strokes)

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site

Or are they playing as singles in different groups then just adding scores together

You brought up what players do at a club but i don’t think I have ever seen at our club the team format that LIV are doing so how is it relevant ?

People haven’t said that team golf doesn’t have its place - it does , the Ryder Cup is very successful

Never seen a bowmaker? Pull the other one.

wjemather

Visit site
Yep all playing together in the same 4ball

Can you tell me who wins the individual prize in your bowmaker competitions
Come now, you know how golf works.
The player with the lowest gross/nett or highest Stableford score wins.

It's actually a format we play as a group regularly when our numbers divide by 3 or 4, and on our trips away.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Yet if you'd played college golf in the US, you would have seen a very similar format to what LIV are doing - just because you haven't done it, or seen it, doesn't mean it can't exist.

2nd point ties in, LIV haven't dreamt the format up at all, they've copied something that is well established, but not commonplace in pro golf = for some (like me) it adds something to the golf I'mn watching, for others, it doesn't.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
From international level down, there is stroke play team golf. Here are just a few:

World Cup of Golf
Europcar Cup (European Tour)
Eisenhower Trophy
Espirito Santo Trophy
England Golf County Championship qualifiers
England Golf Champion Club
County Champion Club

And lots of other team golf is best ball (commonly 2 from 3 or 3 from 4) or just regular stroke play (total strokes)

We have a Junior Team Championship in our local district, stroke play - great event - team winners and individual winners. I expect nearly every local union does something similar.