LIV Golf

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The leading groups going out on hole 1 on day 3 has been there since LIV London #1 btw..

Second leading group went out 5 mins before the main leaders.

It does lead to a few holes on the course being empty of players though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

It comes down to this. Are the majors being used as a means to punish players for joining LIV? If you think they are, that is fundamentally a bad practice.

The majors are just carrying on as they used with their qualifying criteria - I guess it showed how much it meant to some when the ones going on about majors etc didn’t bother to enter qualifying for either The Open or the US Open

:ROFLMAO: No. They're just stubborn and don't want to change their criteria.
Or they are happy with the way their majors work right now with the knowledge that they still have the players they want in the majors.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The majors are just carrying on as they used with their qualifying criteria - I guess it showed how much it meant to some when the ones going on about majors etc didn’t bother to enter qualifying for either The Open or the US Open

Or they are happy with the way their majors work right now with the knowledge that they still have the players they want in the majors.
I figure they would want the best players in the world in the majors. Any other answer to that would be weird. So there will come a time soon where that isn't quite happening. But as I said - consistent with a lot of things in the golf world - they are stubborn and resistant to change. Not that they don't have the right to be. 🤷🏻‍♂️

D

Deleted member 15344

I figure they would want the best players in the world in the majors. Any other answer to that would be weird. So there will come a time soon where that isn't quite happening. But as I said - consistent with a lot of things in the golf world - they are stubborn and resistant to change. Not that they don't have the right to be. 🤷🏻‍♂️

They do have the best players in the world playing in them - and most of them will have exemptions for years into a number of those majors. And when others qualify for the majors then that’s their chance to prove that’s where they belong. Players that miss out this year will have had a chance last year but didn’t take it , and there are other ways for them to qualify this year as well

The like of Rahm , DJ , BDC , Smith , Koepka will be there for a number of years yet - and they are the elite players

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They do have the best players in the world playing in them - and most of them will have exemptions for years into a number of those majors. And when others qualify for the majors then that’s their chance to prove that’s where they belong. Players that miss out this year will have had a chance last year but didn’t take it , and there are other ways for them to qualify this year as well

The like of Rahm , DJ , BDC , Smith , Koepka will be there for a number of years yet - and they are the elite players
I don't have a full knowledge of how exemptions work. What about someone like Hatton who's a top player but obviously hasn't won a major. Where does he stand?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don't have a full knowledge of how exemptions work. What about someone like Hatton who's a top player but obviously hasn't won a major. Where does he stand?

If he placed high enough last year in the fields he will get back in to those events.

Currently rank 15 on OWGR so likely to make the majority of events this year...

D

Deleted member 15344

At the moment he is exempt for the majors this year due to his ranking ( being in the top 50 )

But he will need to find ways to extend that next year if his ranking drops outside the top 50 , he will have to win one , or do well in one this season or go through qualifying or win an event that allows entry into majors

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Honestly can’t recall when it was introduced but yeah.

There are tweaks being made all the time to improve the format.

As for the teams - until folk have watched multiple events, they’re not likely to buy into the concept, but for people like myself I totally get it.
Caleb Surrat yesterday for example, straight out of college and finishing with 5 straight birdies - after he’d 4 putted a hole I believe!! Redeeming himself for that and pushing Rahms team into 1st place - there are continual stories because of the team aspect, but they can be quite hard to detect until fans are familiarised with how the scoring works, who’s on which team etc.

The bit in bold is certainly the narrative being pushed by Liv, but in reality he earned double his paycheck from those birdies, plus crucial points for a player likely top need a top half finish to secure his spot next year. Nothing will convince me, or the vast majority of people I suspect, that being part of a team provided any extra motivation than the benefits he got from an individual perspective.

Fore Right

Visit site
As from yesterday im now all in on Legion 13 and my main man Rahmbo.

For better or worse and all the highs and lows. #vamos

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Wondered how long it would take for the 'they made their choice ' stuff to pipe up 😉
Objectively a big chunk of the Masters invites are tied in with the PGAT -
‐-----
Winners of PGA Tour events that award a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship, from previous Masters to current Masters

Those qualifying for the previous year's season-ending Tour Championship

The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for the previous calendar year
The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament

The Masters Committee, at its discretion, also invites international players not otherwise qualified.
‐-----
I don't expect it, but personally I'd like to see them use that last option for Niemann.
There's some media spotlight on him. It's another country represented, and it would hint they sit outside the politics.

Swango1980

Visit site
I can see the positives of having everyone on the course at the same time, but you don't get someone who has started earlier setting a lead to be chased down for example. A final round where someone in the pack lights it up and sets a target of 3 or 4 better than where the leader is makes for some of the best round action. I think it changes the mindset of the players at the top of the leaderboard. I know it doesnt happen that often, but its great when you get that.

We play our Sunday morning comps as a shotgun start, from a social point of view its great that everyone is there together and the clubhouse is lively afterwards. All players are there for a drink or two, prize giving for the comp and we also have a raffle. However, I'm not that big a fan of not playing the course from holes 1-18. I think a course has a flow to it from it being designed to play 1-18, you lose this when messing with the order.

The team aspect, I would like to see something different on the 1st day. A scramble, or a better ball would mix it up and help create that team buy in.

@Mel Smooth as someone who has bought into this from the get go, would be good to hear which team you support and why (if there is one).
Yes. If team golf is truly something that people think fans will buy into, I reckon they should just 100% commit to team golf. No individual prizes, but everything is geared towards the team aspect.

They could maybe introduce a whole load of formats that feed into the pure team aspect of it.

Whereas if you have a Tour that is still very much about individual golfers competing against each other, then the team aspect just seems like a bit of an afterthought. I don't think there is anything really for fans to buy into, and it is only really interesting for the golfers themselves, as it impacts how much cash they'll win.

wjemather

Visit site
Wondered how long it would take for the 'they made their choice ' stuff to pipe up 😉
‐-----
Winners of PGA Tour events that award a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship, from previous Masters to current Masters

Those qualifying for the previous year's season-ending Tour Championship

The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for the previous calendar year
The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament

The Masters Committee, at its discretion, also invites international players not otherwise qualified.
‐-----
I don't expect it, but personally I'd like to see them use that last option for Niemann.
There's some media spotlight on him. It's another country represented, and it would hint they sit outside the politics.
There are a few others they should invite too (not just from LIV).
And they invited an American last year, so the "international" qualification clearly isn't a requirement.

D

Deleted member 1147

‐-----
So it would seem daft to leave the PGA tour without assurances from the Masters, and other majors, if you intend to continue playing in said Majors.
Did they just take the word Norman et al that they’d be able to continue playing whatever they liked?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes. If team golf is truly something that people think fans will buy into, I reckon they should just 100% commit to team golf. No individual prizes, but everything is geared towards the team aspect.

They could maybe introduce a whole load of formats that feed into the pure team aspect of it.

Whereas if you have a Tour that is still very much about individual golfers competing against each other, then the team aspect just seems like a bit of an afterthought. I don't think there is anything really for fans to buy into, and it is only really interesting for the golfers themselves, as it impacts how much cash they'll win.
They should throw in a LIV 'FA Cup' type competition. So the teams draw against each other in a knock-out competition - match play. I'd actually watch that. Match formats could be anything you like, say a betterball pairs match with two of the team members, and two singles matches so it's best of three matches to go through. You only need one weekend to get it done really. Friday - three teams get a bye and the other ten have matches, leaving eight teams for the quarter finals on Saturday. On Sunday you do the semi-finals in the morning and the final (and third-place play-off) in the afternoon.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
They should throw in a LIV 'FA Cup' type competition. So the teams draw against each other in a knock-out competition - match play. I'd actually watch that. Match formats could be anything you like, say a betterball pairs match with two of the team members, and two singles matches so it's best of three matches to go through. You only need one weekend to get it done really. Friday - three teams get a bye and the other ten have matches, leaving eight teams for the quarter finals on Saturday. On Sunday you do the semi-finals in the morning and the final (and third-place play-off) in the afternoon.

There is a matchplay element at the finals event, or atleast there was last year.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think if LIV created just pure team events when during weeks of “lower” level tour events the top bunch of players were put into teams and then it’s pure matchplay - say 2 from a team playing fourballs , the other two playing singles and its knockout over 3 days and then points for winning etc

Then you could see quite a lot of people going for it

The problem is LIV is the model of GN who wants the World Golf Tour etc so it won’t change now