LIV Golf

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

What does need to stop from LIV is the constant crying about access to majors and ranking points

they all made a choice knowing the consequences of that choice , none of them were forced to go to LIV , if they were told they would get ranking points etc then they need to bring that up with who told them that

But it’s time for them to move on and deal with their choices

Whilst I agree about this for anyone who joined after year 1, those who did join up as OG LIV golfers certainly knew they were taking a risk, but they did not know the full extent of what their punishment would be.

Anyone who signed year 2 onwards - deal with it. If you want access into Majors, play your way in to one that you can (The Open, US Open) and place well.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Liv always scheduled its events against the weaker PGA Tour events in the past but I dont think that necessarily put the right schedule together for the players.

Interesting that this weekends Liv Event in Vegas goes up against one of the strongest PGA Tour events in the Waste Management which of all the PGA Tour events is the most like a Liv Event for atmosphere.

This weekend you also have the Superbowl in Vegas so both tours events finish on the Saturday.
I guess Liv are hoping that the sports fans in the city for the NFL will decide to go and watch some golf while they are there.
That could lead to a very different crowd indeed.

PGA event still finishes on Sunday, but presumably it will be an early 2 tee start so the spectators can get home to watch the Superbowl.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site

What does need to stop from LIV is the constant crying about access to majors and ranking points

they all made a choice knowing the consequences of that choice , none of them were forced to go to LIV , if they were told they would get ranking points etc then they need to bring that up with who told them that

But it’s time for them to move on and deal with their choices
The first thing Nieman said to the interviewer last night as he started his interview after winning was exactly that he could get in the majors. I thought the interviewer tried to skirt around it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst I agree about this for anyone who joined after year 1, those who did join up as OG LIV golfers certainly knew they were taking a risk, but they did not know the full extent of what their punishment would be.

Anyone who signed year 2 onwards - deal with it. If you want access into Majors, play your way in to one that you can (The Open, US Open) and place well.

I guess it depends on what GN said to the players

They knew that the events wouldn’t get points etc and it wouldn’t have taken much to realise that the Tours would have put in place sanctions of some sort - they would have had to been stupid to not see that

PGA event still finishes on Sunday, but presumably it will be an early 2 tee start so the spectators can get home to watch the Superbowl.
I think they do it every year and then there is a big screen there etc

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I guess it depends on what GN said to the players

They knew that the events wouldn’t get points etc and it wouldn’t have taken much to realise that the Tours would have put in place sanctions of some sort - they would have had to been stupid to not see that

I think they do it every year and then there is a big screen there etc

Some sort of sanction and a flat out ban from all events are 2 very different things though aren't they.

And it could be all on Greg, absolutely.

Niemann knew what he was signing up for when he went and last night moaned about entry to Majors, that one to me is just silly.

D

Deleted member 15344

Some sort of sanction and a flat out ban from all events are 2 very different things though aren't they.

And it could be all on Greg, absolutely.

Niemann knew what he was signing up for when he went and last night moaned about entry to Majors, that one to me is just silly.

Think a ban from the PGAT was always the case especially when the events were going up against each other - PGAT were always going to go strong

It’s just a mess , and there aren’t many winners from it all

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Think a ban from the PGAT was always the case especially when the events were going up against each other - PGAT were always going to go strong

It’s just a mess , and there aren’t many winners from it all

I mean it may seem obvious now, but I dont think it was back then is all!

And I agree, if they sort a path into majors then its a good thing, but they will find something else to moan about then..

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
1st event concluded and a we've got ourselves a clear winner in the LIV Golf fantasy league - who now gets to go on a skiing holiday this weekend. Well done (y)

Get your teams in for the Vegas event which starts on Thursday this week. (y)
Is there a mini league for GM Forum members? I created a team before Mayakoba, but I'm not in any mini leagues.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched Liv for the first time last night, because I tend to watch golf on Sunday evening and nothing else was on.

The golf was good, with a lot of top players now. But man that course is awful, and easy. No different to when it was a PGAT stop though. One shot where Rahm was in the 'primary rough' was 20 yards from the fairway with a better lie than most summer course fairways.

The broadcast is also good, some of the graphics are great, very modern looks to it all - av score from L/C/R for tee shots being the best. Need to get rid of that awful putting thing though, its fine before a putt but not during it. I was expecting to see more shots than I did, but it seems they now have a good balance between showing shots and not racing around to show every shot. The leaderboard is fine and non-obtrusive but they need to stop making changes to it and then show the shots after - you know when the putt is going in that way!

Commentary made me feel queasy, but that might be a general dislike of Feherty more than anything else - other opinions are fine and valid. But also don't say things like 'Mayakoba is the traditional home of the Liv season kick-off' and 'he is now in major contention on championship Sunday!'.

The team stuff is awful - it is just a non-event yet constantly rammed down your throat. None of them play together, which is odd as no on-course camaraderie, and then they just add stuff up at the end and declare a champion, when you can tell no individual gives it a second thought when they're playing. They should make Thursday a team day, play some matchplay, mix it up with foursomes/betterball/singles/scramble/celeb partner etc. Either that or have something like 10 individual and 6 team events through the season. Properly lean into it, create some rivalry, have players in same team playing. Just seems like a massive missed opportunity to actually diversify away from tradition.

Shotgun start isnt for me, especially when you consider the final group lost 2 holes. And I like to see the back 9 unfold evenly, not jumping around holes or understanding exactly who has what holes left, it struggles to build a story.

The music is awful on the broadcast. You can tell the players dont like it either. Just bin it.

The total market of viewers for golf isn't going to grow at any noticeable rate. I don't understand why they have chosen to compete with some of the PGAT Signature events tbh, when there is ample opportunity to schedule it on other weekends. Having watched it last night, I would rather watch Liv than, for example, the Amex. But I'm not going to watch it up against Pebble, WM, etc. I'm also not going to watch it outside of Sunday eve, which is just the time I usually watch any golf (outside of majors). So it might be the only time I watch it this year.
Great post - I haven't watched in a year but that's a lot of the same stuff I thought when I did. I don't know how anyone is supposed to care what 'team' wins when the teams are based on absolutely nothing. Apart from the fact you've got an Aussie team and a South African team I guess. As you say, either make it a proper team event where they play as a team, or scrap it altogether.

I also don't really like the shotgun start. Much prefer the concept of the leaders coming in last, someone from the middle of the pack making a charge and setting the clubhouse lead to be beaten, and so on. Especially when there's an iconic 18th hole say, a risk reward hole that they take on for the win. As opposed to the two leaders playing their last holes, but one of them is on a challenging par 3 and the other on a short par 5. That would be an anti-climax.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Great post - I haven't watched in a year but that's a lot of the same stuff I thought when I did. I don't know how anyone is supposed to care what 'team' wins when the teams are based on absolutely nothing. Apart from the fact you've got an Aussie team and a South African team I guess. As you say, either make it a proper team event where they play as a team, or scrap it altogether.

I also don't really like the shotgun start. Much prefer the concept of the leaders coming in last, someone from the middle of the pack making a charge and setting the clubhouse lead to be beaten, and so on. Especially when there's an iconic 18th hole say, a risk reward hole that they take on for the win. As opposed to the two leaders playing their last holes, but one of them is on a challenging par 3 and the other on a short par 5. That would be an anti-climax.

The leading two groups tee off on the same hole, so the top 6 players at the start of the final round are playing “conventionally” so in reality, the leaders will always come in last barring somebody making a charge from the pack.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I mean it may seem obvious now, but I dont think it was back then is all!

And I agree, if they sort a path into majors then its a good thing, but they will find something else to moan about then..

Yeah there's a helluva lot of hindsight being used on posts to 'prove/disprove' what players 'knew'

Laughable really

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
The leading two groups tee off on the same hole, so the top 6 players at the start of the final round are playing “conventionally” so in reality, the leaders will always come in last barring somebody making a charge from the pack.
do the leading groups start on the 1st then?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't know this, is that something they changed after public response to the first few events?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It comes down to this. Are the majors being used as a means to punish players for joining LIV? If you think they are, that is fundamentally a bad practice.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I didn't know this, is that something they changed after public response to the first few events?

Honestly can’t recall when it was introduced but yeah.

There are tweaks being made all the time to improve the format.

As for the teams - until folk have watched multiple events, they’re not likely to buy into the concept, but for people like myself I totally get it.
Caleb Surrat yesterday for example, straight out of college and finishing with 5 straight birdies - after he’d 4 putted a hole I believe!! Redeeming himself for that and pushing Rahms team into 1st place - there are continual stories because of the team aspect, but they can be quite hard to detect until fans are familiarised with how the scoring works, who’s on which team etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Honestly can’t recall when it was introduced but yeah.

There are tweaks being made all the time to improve the format.

As for the teams - until folk have watched multiple events, they’re not likely to buy into the concept, but for people like myself I totally get it.
Caleb Surrat yesterday for example, straight out of college and finishing with 5 straight birdies - after he’d 4 putted a hole I believe!! Redeeming himself for that and pushing Rahms team into 1st place - there are continual stories because of the team aspect, but they can be quite hard to detect until fans are familiarised with how the scoring works, who’s on which team etc.
I just don't think I'd ever care. I feel the same about F1 to be honest. You follow your favourite driver but why would you ever be a Mercedes fan or a Red Bull fan or whatever? With most sports it is geographical at least so you have that to base it on - unless you're a Man Utd fan.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

I can see the positives of having everyone on the course at the same time, but you don't get someone who has started earlier setting a lead to be chased down for example. A final round where someone in the pack lights it up and sets a target of 3 or 4 better than where the leader is makes for some of the best round action. I think it changes the mindset of the players at the top of the leaderboard. I know it doesnt happen that often, but its great when you get that.

We play our Sunday morning comps as a shotgun start, from a social point of view its great that everyone is there together and the clubhouse is lively afterwards. All players are there for a drink or two, prize giving for the comp and we also have a raffle. However, I'm not that big a fan of not playing the course from holes 1-18. I think a course has a flow to it from it being designed to play 1-18, you lose this when messing with the order.

The team aspect, I would like to see something different on the 1st day. A scramble, or a better ball would mix it up and help create that team buy in.

@Mel Smooth as someone who has bought into this from the get go, would be good to hear which team you support and why (if there is one).