LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Come now, you know how golf works.
The player with the lowest gross/nett or highest Stableford score wins.

Just checked and there is no individual winner for any of our team competitions 🤔

I suspect that’s because people are playing together as a team and not looking at the individual scores , some pick up when their score won’t matter or be one of the best or 2 in 3 etc

In fact when in county champs there was some sort of team comp by putting scores together but no one really cared about that

Interesting that the Pro events you mentioned in your earlier post all seemed to have stopped now , even when it was on I don’t think many took it too seriously

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Come now, you know how golf works.
The player with the lowest gross/nett or highest Stableford score wins.

It's actually a format we play as a group regularly when our numbers divide by 3 or 4, and on our trips away.

Our swindle does 4 balls best 3 score team event .. winning team takes all, we even do it when the comps are on and the winner can be from the swindle aswell

Not as glam as Liv ofc but it's fun

wjemather

Visit site
Just checked and there is no individual winner for any of our team competitions 🤔

I suspect that’s because people are playing together as a team and not looking at the individual scores , some pick up when their score won’t matter or be one of the best or 2 in 3 etc

In fact when in county champs there was some sort of team comp by putting scores together but no one really cared about that

Interesting that the Pro events you mentioned in your earlier post all seemed to have stopped now , even when it was on I don’t think many took it too seriously
So now you accept that these events do exist, you're claiming no-one cares about the team or just treat it as a joke? This is getting beyond ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 15344

So now you accept that these events do exist, you're claiming no-one cares about the team or just treat it as a joke? This is getting beyond ridiculous.
Treat what as a joke ?

As for a team that will depend on what team it is when it comes to what people “care” about.

At club level most play for enjoyment

wjemather

Visit site
Limited field? No cut? Only 54 holes? Congratulations Wyndham Clark!
Mustn't forget it was also a pro-am exhibition with soft course setups and unnecessary preferred lies.
And the tour even managed to get him to stand there afterwards and bang on about (phoney) legacy and tradition after being only a few $$$ away from playing in Mayakoba.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Our club plays a match against two other local clubs where we go out in 14 3-balls playing individual stableford. Worst 2 scores for each club are dropped, best total for the other 12 scores gets the trophy for the next year.

C7usk

Visit site
Treat what as a joke ?

As for a team that will depend on what team it is when it comes to what people “care” about.

At club level most play for enjoyment
I agree playing some form of team golf is great fun... But you need to have an affinity with the team.. If the teams were all of the same nationality then yeah maybe I would have more interest in the team dynamic... But there isn't anything there that appeals to me and i suspect the majority of fans. All the "teams" have quality players in them, but nothing about them makes me want to support them as a team.
If others enjoy that element of it then fair enough.. I don't understand it but each to their own.
As for the golf in the 3rd round I did enjoy it and was the most LIV I have watched. The last 6 holes and the playoff was quality..
I would watch it more I reckon if there wasn't a team element getting pushed all the time.. And would definitely watch more without the shotgun start.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
From international level down, there is stroke play team golf. Here are just a few:

World Cup of Golf
Europcar Cup (European Tour)
Eisenhower Trophy
Espirito Santo Trophy
NCAA Championship
England Golf County Championship qualifiers
England Golf Champion Club
County Champion Club

And lots of other team golf is best ball (commonly 2 from 3 or 3 from 4) or just regular stroke play (total strokes)
We are playing two pairs events at the club soon. One is combined stableford and the other is better ball. Neither have any element of matchplay so I am fully with you on this

D

Deleted member 15344

Limited field? No cut? Only 54 holes? Congratulations Wyndham Clark!
Did you post on the wrong thread ? Clark won the PGA event 🤷‍♂️

Oh and it was 54 holes because of the weather ( first time for 8 years an event has been cut short due to weather )

The field was determined by multiple levels of qualification

Mustn't forget it was also a pro-am exhibition with soft course setups and unnecessary preferred lies.
And the tour even managed to get him to stand there afterwards and bang on about (phoney) legacy and tradition after being only a few $$$ away from playing in Mayakoba.

Surely you aren’t posting the same sort of “ridiculous nonsense” that you arrogantly accuse others off posting 🤔

Why were preffered lies unnecessary?

Surely it was down because the event is played over multiple courses and some had a lot of recent water hence players losing balls in fairways and roped off areas due to water damage so trying to make it equal to all

But preffered lies aren’t an issue on any other tour including LIV

wjemather

Visit site
The field was determined by multiple levels of qualification
Apparently sponsors exemptions are no longer selected by sponsors, and being on the policy board is now the qualification. Who knew!

Why were preffered lies unnecessary?

Surely it was down because the event is played over multiple courses and some had a lot of recent water hence players losing balls in fairways and roped off areas due to water damage so trying to make it equal to all

But preffered lies aren’t an issue on any other tour including LIV
Fairway conditions were not bad enough to warrant preferred lies - plugged lies and losing balls are irrelevant. All tours are too eager to give players ball in hand.

D

Deleted member 15344

Apparently sponsors exemptions are no longer selected by sponsors, and being on the policy board is now the qualification. Who knew!

Fairway conditions were not bad enough to warrant preferred lies - plugged lies and losing balls are irrelevant. All tours are too eager to give players ball in hand.

So standard invites which have been happening for years from sponsers or the tours or Masters Committee -so 4 spots given to profession golfers ( including a major winner I believe ) , the rest of the field ( 99% of it ) made up of players who have earned their entry through performances

And preferred lies - been happening for decades , no different to when BDC had his 58 last year on LIV at Greenbrier - guess it wasn’t an issue then. It happens - not sure again why there is such a big issue with it, the player still had to hit the ball

wjemather

Visit site
So standard invites which have been happening for years from sponsers or the tours or Masters Committee -so 4 spots given to profession golfers ( including a major winner I believe ) , the rest of the field ( 99% of it ) made up of players who have earned their entry through performances

And preferred lies - been happening for decades , no different to when BDC had his 58 last year on LIV at Greenbrier - guess it wasn’t an issue then. It happens - not sure again why there is such a big issue with it, the player still had to hit the ball
It has never been standard for sponsors to invite every available policy board member. You can try and justify/rationalise it all you like, it's obvious these were tour invitations/rewards, not sponsor invitations.

Willingness/eagerness to introduce PL on tour is a modern phenomenon; and if it wasn't an issue, they would be in place all the time as part of the RoG.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It has never been standard for sponsors to invite every available policy board member. You can try and justify/rationalise it all you like, it's obvious these were tour invitations/rewards, not sponsor invitations.

Willingness/eagerness to introduce PL on tour is a modern phenomenon; and if it wasn't an issue, they would be in place all the time as part of the RoG.

Preferred lies were in place when Al Geiberger shot the first ever 59 on the PGA Tour in 1977. He shot 273 to win the tournament, the Danny Thomas Memphis Classic, with no rounds in the 60's. One of my favourite golfing stats.

wjemather

Visit site
Preferred lies were in place when Al Geiberger shot the first ever 59 on the PGA Tour in 1977. He shot 273 to win the tournament, the Danny Thomas Memphis Classic, with no rounds in the 60's. One of my favourite golfing stats.
I'm aware, thanks. I don't see how it's relevant to the modern day epidemic of having preferred lies almost every time it's a little bit wet.

Fore Right

Visit site
Really interesting very well put together documentary by The Majesticks.
Production values are very good.

No hiding from the fact they were awful in 2023 and they don't hide away from that fact.
Brutally honest at times, it's a good watch.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Be nice if we could all just applaud amazing golf when we see it on any tour.

Whether it be Clarks 60 round Pebble or Niemann's 59 round Mayakoba, they are both insane rounds of golf.
I was with you right up to "insane".
Wouldn't be my choice of word, but then I am probably 'considerably older than yaou'