LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
They weren’t made to do anything

They had a choice and they decided to resign their membership which made them ineligible to play in the Ryder Cup

The likes of Rahm or Hatton will need to play well in majors or DP events to gain enough points to qualify or rely on a captains pick
I assumed they resigned to avoid legal action?

wjemather

Visit site

They had a choice and they decided to resign their membership which made them ineligible to play in the Ryder Cup

The likes of Rahm or Hatton will need to play well in majors or DP events to gain enough points to qualify or rely on a captains pick
Let's not pretend there was any value in them not resigning their membership given the fines and suspensions that were levied.
I'd be very surprised if the same sort of sanctions will be forthcoming now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Others have explained it already, but those original 'defectors' were given fines for playing LIV events and effectively had no choice but to resign membership if they wanted to continue with LIV. As I've said, the landscape is now different and that won't be the same scenario for Rahm and Hatton will it?

D

Deleted member 15344

I assumed they resigned to avoid legal action?

Not sure - didn’t some of them try to sue the ET to allow them to play ( but failed)

Let's not pretend there was any value in them not resigning their membership given the fines and suspensions that were levied.
I'd be very surprised if the same sort of sanctions will be forthcoming now.

So they still had a choice - pay the fines and stay a member ( they certainly had the money ) just as Weisburger has and be able to play on the Ryder Cup

It’s almost as if there weren’t rules in place

Others have explained it already, but those original 'defectors' were given fines for playing LIV events and effectively had no choice but to resign membership if they wanted to continue with LIV. As I've said, the landscape is now different and that won't be the same scenario for Rahm and Hatton will it?
Everyone had a choice , they could have paid the fines and continued to be a DP members if they wished

It’s almost as if they were the ones hard done by

Life is full of choices - we don’t all get to have every slice of the cake

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
77.84M tourists? I smell BS from the Saudi tourism board. Hajj visitations must be massive though.

The UN Tourism Organisation doesn't even have them in their top 10 with Austria sitting on 26.2M in 2022. the number suggested by the Saudis would put them at 63.83M which would be more than the USA
A quick look suggests SA gets around 3m people a year on pilgrimage.

When I looked at visitor numbers they include 'local tourists' in their figures so you need to look a bit deeper. Happy to be corrected but it looks like they get around 7-8m overseas tourists, including those on pilgrimage. The 77m figure includes everyone.

I went to N. Yorkshire last week so under that counting method I was a UK tourist then. In effect, you are right. That figure is nonsense 😄

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A quick search regarding DP Tour fines. Fines were levied for each breach. It wasn't 1 fine for the season, it was a fine each time a tournament conflicted. The best estimate I've seen is Westwood's fine got to about £400k. £800k was mentioned but Westwood denies that figure. This is why he and others resigned. If they resigned, they didn't have to pay it.

There is no way they will fine Rahm in the same way, it just will not happen. If they change it for him, it will be changed for the others.

D

Deleted member 15344

A quick search regarding DP Tour fines. Fines were levied for each breach. It wasn't 1 fine for the season, it was a fine each time a tournament conflicted. The best estimate I've seen is Westwood's fine got to about £400k. £800k was mentioned but Westwood denies that figure. This is why he and others resigned. If they resigned, they didn't have to pay it.

There is no way they will fine Rahm in the same way, it just will not happen. If they change it for him, it will be changed for the others.

Fines were £100k

And believe it was for any event that was conflicting the DP Tour hence the fine for playing at Centurion was £100k and it was then suspended until the court case

Believe for some of the events outside the UK etc it was about £10k

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everyone had a choice , they could have paid the fines and continued to be a DP members if they wished

It's not the same choice that Rahm and Hatton will have though is it. They'll be able to pretty much have their cake and eat it in the current climate, unlike Poults and co who weren't able to do that. Nothing to do with feeling hard done by, just the landscape has now changed.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not the same choice that Rahm and Hatton will have though is it. They'll be able to pretty much have their cake and eat it in the current climate, unlike Poults and co who weren't able to do that. Nothing to do with feeling hard done by, just the landscape has now changed.

No they will have the same choice , as it was with Pieters last year , pay the fines and keep membership or resign their tour membership

Nothing has changed , there is no working relationship between LIV and the other tours at this moment in time , so if Rahm , Meronk and Hatton play in the LIV event they will be given fines etc

wjemather

Visit site
Not sure - didn’t some of them try to sue the ET to allow them to play ( but failed)

So they still had a choice - pay the fines and stay a member ( they certainly had the money ) just as Weisburger has and be able to play on the Ryder Cup
It’s almost as if there weren’t rules in place

Pretty sure I said let's not pretend.

The big names were issued far bigger fines than Weisberger, Pieters, Otaegui, Canter, and others. with comparatively very little for them to gain by paying. It wasn't much of a choice.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It has. But Poults and co we’re no where near good enough to be near a RC team. With the exception of maybe Sergio. But given the landscape at the time I very much doubt he would have been great for team harmony.

The RC worked out ok for Europe without an of the LiV players.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Fines were £100k

And believe it was for any event that was conflicting the DP Tour hence the fine for playing at Centurion was £100k and it was then suspended until the court case

Believe for some of the events outside the UK etc it was about £10k
Original fines were £100k, I believe they paid those. They didn't pay the subsequent fines. There is certainly conflicting info about this, The Telegraph stated £800k for example, which Westwood himself denied.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
People need to get away from the notion that LIV players are going to be subject to the same sanctions when the 2025 Ryder Cup comes around. The whole landscape will have changed massively by then, and unlike last years event where there as little justification to include players in the European Team, this will absolutely not be the case in 2 years time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It has. But Poults and co we’re no where near good enough to be near a RC team. With the exception of maybe Sergio. But given the landscape at the time I very much doubt he would have been great for team harmony.

The RC worked out ok for Europe without an of the LiV players.
But without Rahm or Hatton away from home it may not be the case. Rahm in particular will be huge loss if they can't find a way to make sure LIV players are able to be picked

D

Deleted member 15344

People need to get away from the notion that LIV players are going to be subject to the same sanctions when the 2025 Ryder Cup comes around. The whole landscape will have changed massively by then, and unlike last years event where there as little justification to include players in the European Team, this will absolutely not be the case in 2 years time.

It’s prob also worth not posting as if something will be a fact

There is a long long way to go for any sort of potential joining that repairs and fractures

The PGAT could just as easily have a majority deal with SSG and any significant deal with PIF potentially stopped by DoJ

There is no given that the current LIV players will be suddenly back in the fold , we could be 12 months down the line and in the same situation , there have been lots of claims about what will happen over the last 2 years with very little of it actually happening

If a significant deal for PIF doesn’t happen then they may look at the LIV tour and even question if the level of funds being given out makes it worth while if there is still a split

PIF need a significant deal to make it all worth while - and that’s far from a given

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It’s prob also worth not posting as if something will be a fact

There is a long long way to go for any sort of potential joining that repairs and fractures

The PGAT could just as easily have a majority deal with SSG and any significant deal with PIF potentially stopped by DoJ

There is no given that the current LIV players will be suddenly back in the fold , we could be 12 months down the line and in the same situation , there have been lots of claims about what will happen over the last 2 years with very little of it actually happening

If a significant deal for PIF doesn’t happen then they may look at the LIV tour and even question if the level of funds being given out makes it worth while if there is still a split

PIF need a significant deal to make it all worth while - and that’s far from a given

Here are the facts Phil. Europe will need Jon Rahm in the team, and he will be in it - you know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

Also, the PGAT will do a deal with the SSG, infact I believe they are already operating using SSG money - and if as you suggest, the LIV players are not back in the fold, then there will be a massive gaping hole in the golf tour they have stumped up billions of dollars for.

Another fact, Al-Rumayaan will not shut LIV down - the Saudi's need golf as part of their long term plan, and if they are frozen out of a deal then they will just keep doubling down and squeeze the life out of the PGAT - how do I know this? Look at what they have done since LIV's inception.

Golf needs to be unified, I honestly don't know why you continue to maintain the divisive position you have held. Hold your hands up, embrace the changes and accept what's coming - if you keep on telling us all that LIV will fail, you will continue to be wrong. It's their 21st event since inception this week, and look at the field - it has the majority of the headliners. (y)