LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't have the time to give you a full history lesson right now but if there is a 'war', it started in the early/mid-90s (or maybe even earlier).

Can’t recall PIF being around in the early/mid 90’s 🤷‍♂️ or indeed any tour giving players lots of money to jump onto a tour that wasn’t aligned to any tour or governing body 🤷‍♂️

Unless there was another “rebel” tour

D

Deleted member 1147

Honestly James, just get over the bleeding heart stuff and bang You Tube on next weekend - god knows you show enough interest in LIV on here - I can't for the life of me think why anybody would take the purposeful stance to not watch good golf being played by quality players because of the tour it's played on.
I just put on golf occasionally. I don’t put it on the computer or phone. I don’t watch YouTube.
If it was on TV I’d watch it because my only real interest is in watching golf.
I am one of the few actual golf lovers on this forum. No matter where or how it’s played. I just need to be able
To watch it.

evemccc

Visit site
Can’t recall PIF being around in the early/mid 90’s 🤷‍♂️ or indeed any tour giving players lots of money to jump onto a tour that wasn’t aligned to any tour or governing body 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t use words such as ‘war’ but clearly it was Jay’s high-handed / supercilious / arrogant refusal to famously ‘take the call’ from Greg Norman when he initially reached out about the creation of what has become LIV was the start..

“In conjunction with” was what was initially suggested

Pretty much everyone now thinks Jay and the PGAT have handled this badly

D

Deleted member 15344

I wouldn’t use words such as ‘war’ but clearly it was Jay’s high-handed / supercilious / arrogant refusal to famously ‘take the call’ from Greg Norman when he initially reached out about the creation of what has become LIV was the start..

“In conjunction with” was what was initially suggested

Pretty much everyone now thinks Jay and the PGAT have handled this badly

Why should Jay take any calls from Greg Norman - someone who has had issues with the PGAT and a clear grudge about the tour.

Monahan is responsible for doing what he feels is best for the PGAT and its players - what ever happens over the next couple of years won’t change that but the arrival of LIV back by the bottomless pit hasn’t been good for tour golf , it’s diluted the product for all and people are switching off.

PIF is not good for sport , it’s not “growing the game” and all those other tag lines that get thrown around.

wjemather

Visit site

Why should Jay take any calls from Greg Norman - someone who has had issues with the PGAT and a clear grudge about the tour.
There's definitely a link here.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Which is?
In the mid 1990's Greg Norman proposed a 'World Tour', I think it was something like 10 tournaments. Can't remember who was backing the idea financially. Tim Finchem had only just taken over from Deane Beman as Commissioner, and, supported by the elder statesmen of the Tour such as Arnold Palmer, he gave Norman the shortest of shrifts. Although Norman carried on with his efforts, he didn't get anywhere. Finchem did pay lip service to the idea by starting an 'International Federation', or some such name, with a few events, which annoyed Norman even more. They did agree to 'let bygones be bygones' a few years later, but it would appear that Norman's anger continued to fester until he found a massively wealthy backer with their own objectives to create the Tour he had always wanted.

That's my brief summary anyway, as far as I can remember it. Thirty years is a long time!

D

Deleted member 1147

I will be in England in April and May, maybe I will bump into you on the course or at the 19th hole and I can tell you in person, but please keep posting on LIV as I love the effect it has on people, bit like TDS
Tenancy Deposit Scheme?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I will be in England in April and May, maybe I will bump into you on the course or at the 19th hole and I can tell you in person, but please keep posting on LIV as I love the effect it has on people, bit like TDS
Happy to arrange a game if you are not too far away. As a fellow grump I’m sure we’d get along just fine on a golf course 👍🏻

Life would be boring if we all had the same opinion.

AussieKB

Visit site
I am interested to hear of any of your trainee pro's or pro's if they are anti LIV, out here I have not heard one who does not think LIV is good, and I have played about 50 different courses since LIV started.

Have yet to hear from the Pro's who have got onto a tour of any kind say they were sorry that LIV came along, am sure they are happy to have a chance now.

Only Pro's I hear who are anti LIV are already playing on a Tour and are wealthy.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I am interested to hear of any of your trainee pro's or pro's if they are anti LIV, out here I have not heard one who does not think LIV is good, and I have played about 50 different courses since LIV started.

Have yet to hear from the Pro's who have got onto a tour of any kind say they were sorry that LIV came along, am sure they are happy to have a chance now.

Only Pro's I hear who are anti LIV are already playing on a Tour and are wealthy.

The pro at the youths club hates LIV - often see him making derogatory comments on Twitter - like BIM, he's a Leeds United fan - maybe there's something in that. :ROFLMAO:
The pro at my club thinks it's a great concept - he played college golf in Georgia and correctly points out that golf often is a team sport - and sees the potential in LIV.