LIV Golf

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing devil advocate do you think it is a knee-jerk reaction to Meronk not getting a RC wild card?
It's possible. I thought he was poorly dealt with there. Saying that, he will presumably get a big pot of money so maybe he would have gone anyway.

It's a good signing for LIV I'd say.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing devil advocate do you think it is a knee-jerk reaction to Meronk not getting a RC wild card?

I would have hoped he’d be a bit more mature than that but you can never tell what’s going on between someone’s ears. Besides Rory has asked for the rules to be changed hasn’t he so being on LIV shouldn’t be an issue going forward.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I would have hoped he’d be a bit more mature than that but you can never tell what’s going on between someone’s ears. Besides Rory has asked for the rules to be changed hasn’t he so being on LIV shouldn’t be an issue going forward.
As long as he doesn't resign his membership he's still eligible regardless of where he plays..
What annoys me is the cloak and dagger stuff...
Withdrawing from the Farmers citing illness when it's, seemingly, really because he's joining LIV.
I could be doing him a disservice and if I am then I apologise..
But it's too much of a coincidence for me....just be out with it - I'm taking the money.
People accept honesty.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
As long as he doesn't resign his membership he's still eligible regardless of where he plays..
Withdrawing from the Farmers citing illness when it's, seemingly, really because he's joining LIV.
But it's too much of a coincidence for me....just be out with it - I'm taking the money.
People accept honesty.

Sports person in telling a white lie shocker 😱 he’s not the first and he certainly won’t be the last

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
People accept honesty.
Until all of the contracts are signed, he has to play it down. Ideally, they would have been signed with enough time to withdraw naturally but clearly it went close to the wire so they had to put the 'illness' message out. Had LIV changed their mind, he has a plausible return still. No harm done........

D

Deleted member 15344

It's possible. I thought he was poorly dealt with there. Saying that, he will presumably get a big pot of money so maybe he would have gone anyway.

It's a good signing for LIV I'd say.

If it was down to the RC spot then I suspect he would have gone earlier - he was very much all about getting his PGAT card and doing well there etc and maybe an offer has been increased to him

He had access to majors this year

It’s an identical situation to Pieters - both were around 40 in the world and had access to majors for a year

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think it would be fair to say that it would be a good signing for Liv, in adding depth to quality of field. But also that it would be no loss whatsoever to PGAT.

Obviously a loss to DPWT but he wasn’t going to play much until Wentworth anyway

wjemather

Visit site
I think it would be fair to say that it would be a good signing for Liv, in adding depth to quality of field. But also that it would be no loss whatsoever to PGAT.

Obviously a loss to DPWT but he wasn’t going to play much until Wentworth anyway
Every time anyone chooses LIV over the PGA Tour, it is a loss for them. Even more so when it's another top-50 player.

Given Meronk is one of 10 players that the DPWT just shipped off to the PGAT, there is no additional loss to them because LIV players are able to play a similar number of DPWT tournaments as anyone playing full(ish)-time on the PGAT - as Niemann and others have done with great success recently.

wjemather

Visit site
Until all of the contracts are signed, he has to play it down. Ideally, they would have been signed with enough time to withdraw naturally but clearly it went close to the wire so they had to put the 'illness' message out. Had LIV changed their mind, he has a plausible return still. No harm done........
Or he's actually ill and intended to play Torrey Pines as a warm-up for Mayakoba, with an announcement to be made on Monday.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Adrian Meronk is a quality player, 4 DP tour wins in the last 18 months and current DPWT player of the year.
In my opinion and probably most peoples opinion, he should have been on the Ryder Cup team.
Just because he’s linked with LIV he’s suddenly not as good a player and wouldn’t be a loss to the PGA tour.
It shouldn’t matter where he plays his golf, he is a top player regardless.
He was second last week as well, just one back from Rory.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Adrian Meronk is a quality player, 4 DP tour wins in the last 18 months and current DPWT player of the year.
In my opinion and probably most peoples opinion, he should have been on the Ryder Cup team.
Just because he’s linked with LIV he’s suddenly not as good a player and wouldn’t be a loss to the PGA tour.

I agree. These players may not be a loss to the PGAT but it doesn't mean they aren't an improvement for LIV.

Meronk is certainly a higher caliber player than Chase Koepka...

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I agree. These players may not be a loss to the PGAT but it doesn't mean they aren't an improvement for LIV.

He is probably a higher calibre than half the LiV players.

Hatton looks like he will be going too.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

It’s an improvement to LIV, no doubt.
Im not sure how the World number 39 wouldn’t be an improvement to the PGA tour though.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t think anyone is saying he isn’t a good player anymore since he potentially moved to LIV

But he isn’t a loss to the PGAT

He has played about 11 events on that tour - missed the cut in half of them and one top 10

His major record isn’t much better - it’s going to make little if any difference to the PGAT

He has done well on the ET - ( a tour most LIV fans call a feeder tour )

And he was close to getting a pick from a Ryder Cup but Donald clearly didn’t think he was the right pick - hard to disagree

He will be better than some of the players on LIV and will improve them but I don’t tbink it’s the sort of player that keeps everyone off their chairs to start watching or One that’s going to get the media company

It’s someone to fill a team for them -and I suspect his path will now follow the same road as Pieters

Now if LIV picked up Hatton or Lowry or Hovland then that would be a blow to the PGAT

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I don’t think anyone is saying he isn’t a good player anymore since he potentially moved to LIV

But he isn’t a loss to the PGAT

He has played about 11 events on that tour - missed the cut in half of them and one top 10

His major record isn’t much better - it’s going to make little if any difference to the PGAT

He has done well on the ET - ( a tour most LIV fans call a feeder tour )

And he was close to getting a pick from a Ryder Cup but Donald clearly didn’t think he was the right pick - hard to disagree

He will be better than some of the players on LIV and will improve them but I don’t tbink it’s the sort of player that keeps everyone off their chairs to start watching or One that’s going to get the media company

It’s someone to fill a team for them -and I suspect his path will now follow the same road as Pieters

Now if LIV picked up Hatton or Lowry or Hovland then that would be a blow to the PGAT
Would Lowry be a miss? Big personality, but hasn’t been a factor at the sharp end for some time now.

D

Deleted member 15344

Would Lowry be a miss? Big personality, but hasn’t been a factor at the sharp end for some time now.

He is known In the US , major winner , been there for a while now and a regular player on the US Tour - it wouldn’t be a long the likes of Rahm , Hovland etc but would certainly be a coup