LIV Golf

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t think anyone is saying he isn’t a good player anymore since he potentially moved to LIV

But he isn’t a loss to the PGAT

He has played about 11 events on that tour - missed the cut in half of them and one top 10

His major record isn’t much better - it’s going to make little if any difference to the PGAT

He has done well on the ET - ( a tour most LIV fans call a feeder tour )

And he was close to getting a pick from a Ryder Cup but Donald clearly didn’t think he was the right pick - hard to disagree

He will be better than some of the players on LIV and will improve them but I don’t tbink it’s the sort of player that keeps everyone off their chairs to start watching or One that’s going to get the media company

It’s someone to fill a team for them -and I suspect his path will now follow the same road as Pieters

Now if LIV picked up Hatton or Lowry or Hovland then that would be a blow to the PGAT
We’ll have to agree to disagree here, to me the world number 39 has to be a loss to any tour, only having 38 players better than you means you can play a bit.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Regardless of who the next two are that join LIV - the field is strong enough for its second full season - and when you look down the leaderboard there are going to be plenty of quality players, in addition to those at the tail end of their pro careers that people still enjoy watching.
Add to that, there are the guys that qualified - it’s going to be interesting to see if they can cut it - or if their stay on LIV will be brief. Ogletree I feel will fair well, if Kozuma can get a few results, that will be well received in Asia as well.

The series doesn’t need the biggest names to sign right now, they’ll come in time anyway.

D

Deleted member 15344

We’ll have to agree to disagree here, to me the world number 39 has to be a loss to any tour, only having 38 players better than you means you can play a bit.

No one is saying he can’t play a bit but he hasn’t been playing on the PGAT and only just got his card , that spot will potentially be taken up by Hojgaard now , someone who may well have a higher ceiling

And we get told by many that the rankings are false because they don’t rank LIV players

He is a good player - but I don’t think it makes too much difference in the bigger picture for any tour

And this is the sort of thing that will just trump anyone leaving

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty on the PGA tour were slow burners and it is something that takes time to settle into. I think Meronk had the potential to be a very decent player on tour and would certainly have been in the mix for the next RC selection, perhaps more so with experience of playing in the US. Still a pretty stellar rise to world #38 and something that seemed set to rise. His ranking would have him all of the WGC's and majors (happy to be corrected on that) so I'd argue there was a case of adapting to the tour, playing more prestigious events and climbing the rankings season on season rather than expecting Meronk (or anyone) to be on it straight away. At world #38 certainly not taking away an opportunity from someone else

D

Deleted member 21445

Q: Is Liv getting stronger year on year ?

Is Adrian Meronk better than Chase Koepka ?

Seems to have been lost now that they signed Jon FREAKING Rahm 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲

D

Deleted member 1147

If Meronk goes I wish him well, like Rahm and others, all I can really say is for me it’s a shame, as I won’t see them now, save for the majors.

D

Deleted member 1147

Q: Is Liv getting stronger year on year ?

Is Adrian Meronk better than Chase Koepka ?

Seems to have been lost now that they signed Jon FREAKING Rahm 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲
Yes
Definitely
Of course it matters. As before the top end players were excellent, the rest quite poor. They need to keep adding better “others”. And
Probably drop some captains (Westwood, Poulter come to mind).

D

Deleted member 21445

If Meronk goes I wish him well, like Rahm and others, all I can really say is for me it’s a shame, as I won’t see them now, save for the majors.
I think you will James

An agreement is going to happen, the golf landscape/schedule will look totally different but will bring all the top players back together in some events as well as the majors.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Honestly James, just get over the bleeding heart stuff and bang You Tube on next weekend - god knows you show enough interest in LIV on here - I can't for the life of me think why anybody would take the purposeful stance to not watch good golf being played by quality players because of the tour it's played on.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think you will James

An agreement is going to happen, the golf landscape/schedule will look totally different but will bring all the top players back together in some events as well as the majors.
I don’t think it will get back together as such

And we used to watch the best players play in multiple events outside the majors before

WGC’s , The Players, the bigger events on both tours along with all the other players

Now it’s will be just the majors for most - there will be lots who have turned off from watching tour golf because of the money grab by a handful of players .

LIV can go ahead and just play their events and have their fanbase

The rest can just move on without them - golf is big enough to survive without the players who left to go to LIV - there will be players coming through taking over from them

As a example more people watched Dunlap winning the Amex than watched Rahm winning the year before

Hopefully the PGAT can sort out their sponsers without the need to get involved with PIF

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I think you will James

Bryson saying a deal is close, and the meetings between the PIF and the PGAT are still ongoing. It's obviously a very fluid situation - there must be a cut off point where LIV make some announcements regarding teams and players for next week, and there'll be some last minute negotiations going on with players who are looking at LIV as an option.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Every time anyone chooses LIV over the PGA Tour, it is a loss for them. Even more so when it's another top-50 player.

Given Meronk is one of 10 players that the DPWT just shipped off to the PGAT, there is no additional loss to them because LIV players are able to play a similar number of DPWT tournaments as anyone playing full(ish)-time on the PGAT - as Niemann and others have done with great success recently.

Does a single advertiser care that Meronk won’t be playing PGAT? No.

Does a single tournament sponsor care that Meronk won’t be playing PGAT? No.

Is a single person in America going to stop watching the PGAT because Meronk isn’t in the field? I doubt it.

Is Poland a growth target for the PGAT? No.

Him leaving is a pebble being thrown into an ocean. No impact.

To clarify, I really like Meronk, he is a very good golfer and think he is a very sensible target for Liv. He’s basically Alex Noren v2

But let’s not pretend this is something hurting the PGAT

wjemather

Visit site
As a example more people watched Dunlap winning the Amex than watched Rahm winning the year before
The Amex is an awful pro-am exhibition tournament held on ridiculously easy setup golf courses that make it largely uninteresting to watch; and it is broadcast opposite the NFL playoffs. Viewing figures are always low; it's hardly surprising they got a boost from a feel-good story.

If the PGA Tour is hanging its hat on amateurs winning every week in order to attract a decent audience they're in more trouble than I thought.

D

Deleted member 15344

The Amex is an awful pro-am exhibition tournament held on ridiculously easy setup golf courses that make it largely uninteresting to watch; and it is broadcast opposite the NFL playoffs. Viewing figures are always low; it's hardly surprising they got a boost from a feel-good story.

If the PGA Tour is hanging its hat on amateurs winning every week in order to attract a decent audience they're in more trouble than I thought.

Yet more prob watched it than any LIV event 🤷‍♂️

I don’t expect the PGAT are hanging their hat anywhere but it’s not a surprise that you would find some negative from an amateur winning a man tour event - it’s the sort of story that does help grow the game , even more so when you see the reaction of him winning and no money involved

D

Deleted member 21445

Hopefully the PGAT can sort out their sponsers without the need to get involved with PIF
So Liv keeps taking your top players year on year and that's going to help sort the sponsors.
They have already lost a bunch.

Making an enemy of the biggest sovereign wealth fund with a bottomless pit of money is probably not the best idea.

The best thing for the PGAT is an agreement involving the PIF and bringing it all back together.

Rory has slowly realised it and voiced it.

D

Deleted member 15344

So Liv keeps taking your top players year on year and that's going to help sort the sponsors.
They have already lost a bunch.

Making an enemy of the biggest sovereign wealth fund with a bottomless pit of money is probably not the best idea.

The best thing for the PGAT is an agreement involving the PIF and bringing it all back together.

Rory has slowly realised it and voiced it.
The tour has plenty of top players still playing

And “enemy” ? Interesting take - wonder who started the “war” as such if there are enemies- and yep they do have a bottomless pit of money , but that’s it , they don’t have anything else

The “best thing” is for PIF to stop trying to buy the sport , sponsor a tournament or two and for LIV to go away.

It would be great for someone to stand up against the oil states and say no they can’t buy everything and hopefully PGAT can do that

PIF add nothing to the sport apart from making some of them richer.

And since they arrived they have done nothing but split the sport in two and turn people of watching the sport