LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Had a listen to this over my pre work pot of tea this morning.

Some interesting discussion touched upon by Dicky Bland, as ever, he's grounded, realistic and grateful for the opportunities LIV has given him.

They touch on the Rahm rumours and Bland makes a solid point about him being deserving of team equity - which would mean him either taking one of the two teams that don't have an equity share owned by a Captain, or, another team being created. There are normally well informed people that are pretty confident we will see the number of teams grow next year - which means there are still opportunities for players to join for big money.

Personally with regard to the Rahm rumours - I'll believe it when I see it...

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’d like to see those that left allowed to return but as most left to play less golf, I’d like to see their season limited to the same number of events as an Liv season. This can only include one major.

badgergm

Visit site
Had a listen to this over my pre work pot of tea this morning.

Some interesting discussion touched upon by Dicky Bland, as ever, he's grounded, realistic and grateful for the opportunities LIV has given him.

They touch on the Rahm rumours and Bland makes a solid point about him being deserving of team equity - which would mean him either taking one of the two teams that don't have an equity share owned by a Captain, or, another team being created. There are normally well informed people that are pretty confident we will see the number of teams grow next year - which means there are still opportunities for players to join for big money.

Personally with regard to the Rahm rumours - I'll believe it when I see it...

I can’t see the team equity thing being much of an incentive for many. Building a brand would involve significant effort- chasing sponsors, media, bigging up the Cleeks or whatever. Doesn’t really seem like Rahm’s type of thing.

4LEX

Visit site
I think LIV have to go all out for the team aspect. Desperately need to find some links that will get people supporting different teams, could be geography, could be equipment, could be business, but trying to ape the PGAT with individual strokeplay seems difficult to sell.
No. One. Cares.

Golf isn't like other sports. The team format will never work and attract fans. The team sports market is saturated, golf doesn't need it. It's already failed and will continue to fail. It's just being propped up with vast amounts of money from the PIF. You can't reinvent golf.

LIV should focus on changing their format and having more party events like the one in Australia. Make it fun and high quality golf.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No. One. Cares.

Golf isn't like other sports. The team format will never work and attract fans. The team sports market is saturated, golf doesn't need it. It's already failed and will continue to fail. It's just being propped up with vast amounts of money from the PIF. You can't reinvent golf.

LIV should focus on changing their format and having more party events like the one in Australia. Make it fun and high quality golf.

I didn’t think the IPL would work in cricket but it’s a roaring success. Done properly, i.e. hyped like the IPL do with team selections would be a good start. Even team colours would give it more identity. I’m not saying it will be a success but I would rush to write it off either.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I didn’t think the IPL would work in cricket but it’s a roaring success. Done properly, i.e. hyped like the IPL do with team selections would be a good start. Even team colours would give it more identity. I’m not saying it will be a success but I would rush to write it off either.
Cricket is a team sport.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d like to see those that left allowed to return but as most left to play less golf, I’d like to see their season limited to the same number of events as an Liv season. This can only include one major.
I don't watch LIV so have no big feelings on this. I don't understand your point though, it isn't rational. If golfers go from the DPWT to the PGA tour they aren't penalised. Same for other golfers who move from one tour to another. Why treat LIV any differently, other than purely because you dislike the backers, or whatever?

Yes, I know they weren't authorised to move but that was more about keeping a closed shop and retaining dominance of the PGA tour.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking like Mcdowell is off the Team Smash, thats pretty underwhelming isnt it?

Is there not an exciting up and coming player on the Asian Tour who would be more worthy of a space?

D

Deleted member 1147

Looking like Mcdowell is off the Team Smash, thats pretty underwhelming isnt it?

Is there not an exciting up and coming player on the Asian Tour who would be more worthy of a space?
Another major winner to add to their ranks though

D

Deleted member 21445

Swango1980

Visit site
And the Ryder Cup? One of the very best spectacles in golf?

Like I said, I wouldn’t write the idea off. You think differently, and that’s fine too.
The fans of Europe have a deeply ingrained reason to support Europe. They are European. And the supporters of the USA are from the USA.

It also works very well because it only happens once every 2 years, and once every 4 years at home. If the Ryder Cup was played a dozen times every year, I don't think it would be the very best spectacle in golf anymore.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Where is Matthew Wolff going ?

Had his struggles on Smash and with Brooks but in the right team environment he could flourish !
What a talent !

I can see him possibly going to High Flyers with Lefty ?

Gooch is rumoured to be wanting a move away from the Rangegoats - sounds like he fancies having equity in one of the teams - arguably deservedly after his performances

Maybe there's a spot opening up for there for MW

evemccc

Visit site
The fans of Europe have a deeply ingrained reason to support Europe. They are European. And the supporters of the USA are from the USA.

It also works very well because it only happens once every 2 years, and once every 4 years at home. If the Ryder Cup was played a dozen times every year, I don't think it would be the very best spectacle in golf anymore.

It’s not too different from Premier League football though, for non-English fans who don’t live in England…

The clubs are increasingly owned by foreign billionaires, in it to make money or just for ‘fun’…in the main the clubs they choose to buy are not related to any emotional connection.

They are managed most often by foreign millionaires and the players are foreign millionaires — both managers and players rarely stay at a club for a long time now…it’s a case of ‘merry-go-round’ —— as Scudamore did such a good job at flogging the EPL around the world it’s watched by people in every corner of the globe

So, you’ve got fans of Eg. Arsenal, City, and Man Utd in America, Singapore and Nigeria (—- who in many cases have never been to England — and possibly don’t desire to, and don’t really care where Arsenal and Everton are on a map of England) with no emotional connection to place, supporting players of myriad nationalities who change clubs every couple of years….

That’s not really too different from supporting an IPL franchise or an NFL team (if you’re not American) or a LIV team — (if the team element is embedded and LIV don’t make any more mistakes)

There may well be no deeply ingrained reason for Brad in Seattle or Kolo in Nigeria support Arsenal….likewise — if you’re Spanish or South African and there’s an all-Spanish team, or an South African team in LIV, that’s fairly likely you may support that team

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s not too different from Premier League football though, for non-English fans who don’t live in England…

The clubs are increasingly owned by foreign billionaires, in it to make money or just for ‘fun’…in the main the clubs they choose to buy are not related to any emotional connection.

They are managed most often by foreign millionaires and the players are foreign millionaires — both managers and players rarely stay at a club for a long time now…it’s a case of ‘merry-go-round’ —— as Scudamore did such a good job at flogging the EPL around the world it’s watched by people in every corner of the globe

So, you’ve got fans of Eg. Arsenal, City, and Man Utd in America, Singapore and Nigeria (—- who in many cases have never been to England — and possibly don’t desire to, and don’t really care where Arsenal and Everton are on a map of England) with no emotional connection to place, supporting players who change clubs every couple of years….

That’s not really too different from supporting an IPL franchise or an NFL team (if you’re not American) or a LIV team — (if the team element is embedded and LIV don’t make any more mistakes)

There may well be no deeply ingrained reason for Brad in Seattle or Kolo in Nigeria support Arsenal….likewise — if you’re Spanish or South African and there’s an all-Spanish team, or an South African team in LIV, that’s fairly likely you may support that team
I'd still say that football is entirely a team sport. It is tribal, and a sport that billions of kids will play throughout the world as it is relatively easy to do so.

I can't see that golf will ever be seen in the same way as football. It is an individual sport. Even when playing in team events, it is effectively singles unless you are playing foursomes. In that you are responsible for your ball from tee to hole. Billions of people will never play the game, as it requires a lot of equipment, relatively expensive and you are limited to where you can actually play the game. Even if a tour created teams within golf, you won't have loads of young kids supporting them in the same tribal way they do football, winding up their mates who support other teams and celebrating with mates who support the same team.

Team golf, in my opinion, is a million miles away from football in any league. And it will continue to be even if any tour manages to create a relatively successful team format.

WGCRider

Visit site

So, you’ve got fans of Eg. Arsenal, City, and Man Utd in America, Singapore and Nigeria (—- who in many cases have never been to England — and possibly don’t desire to, and don’t really care where Arsenal and Everton are on a map of England) with no emotional connection to place, supporting players of myriad nationalities who change clubs every couple of years….

All excellent points. Among team fans you'd expect a bit of back and forth - banter if you like. Was wondering if you could help but in over 700 hundred pages of LIV thread, with LIV fans, have you got examples of this happening?
Not the type of nonsense a few posts above this "Graeme is bored of the smashers so he's going to the drivers". I'm thinking more the kind of stuff football or rugby fans would say to each other.
What is your favourite team? Why do you dislike the other one? Nothing to do with the players remember, cause like football they come and go - it's the team that matters.
When the rangegoats lose does it just ruin your weekend or do you just not care about golf teams like that?

WGCRider

Visit site
I'd still say that football is entirely a team sport. It is tribal, and a sport that billions of kids will play throughout the world as it is relatively easy to do so.

I can't see that golf will ever be seen in the same way as football. It is an individual sport. Even when playing in team events, it is effectively singles unless you are playing foursomes. In that you are responsible for your ball from tee to hole. Billions of people will never play the game, as it requires a lot of equipment, relatively expensive and you are limited to where you can actually play the game. Even if a tour created teams within golf, you won't have loads of young kids supporting them in the same tribal way they do football, winding up their mates who support other teams and celebrating with mates who support the same team.

Team golf, in my opinion, is a million miles away from football in any league. And it will continue to be even if any tour manages to create a relatively successful team format.

I'd venture that the level of excitement for team golf is exactly the same as the level of excitement for singles football.

Swango1980

Visit site
Has anyone met a fan of one of the LiV teams in real life? Or even a fan of LiV?
I'm not sure even any of the biggest LIV fans on this forum are die hard any particular team. Or at least, not enough to constantly come on forums to discuss recent results.

Whereas on the Footie thread, we get 3 or 4 pages talking about one particular incident, usually generated by one or 2 angry fans of any particular team that has recently been hard done by. However, maybe LIV will get that sort of passion in 150 years time?