LIV Golf

AussieKB

Visit site
Various routes in but essentially the events in SA & Oz aren't solely DPWT events and since the other co-sanctioning tours for these events haven't banned LIV players, it means if a LIV player qualifies on the other tours criteria or gets invite from them, then they can play
So if they want to enhance their fields they can....makes sense.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So if they want to enhance their fields they can....makes sense.

Not much of the power to enhance a field lies with the tours. Generally it’s the players that control if the field will be enhanced i.e Rory qualified for the Joburg Open (& every other dpwt event) but decided not to enter
Across the two events last weekend I see only a couple of tournament invitation spots went to players on LIV tour, most of them who played qualified in own right

AussieKB

Visit site
It is like when Seve played at the end of his career, I would go and watch him just to see the recovery shots, same as Phil now.....think I got more enjoyment out of seeing them then standing 10-20 deep watching the latest stars.

D

Deleted member 23270

LIV really could have been just the thing to take golf to the next level if only they had signed world class players and dropped the circus format.

D

Deleted member 23270

Agree....should not have all those Major champions in their field, like I have said before, someone please tell Rahm if he goes to LIV he is finished......ha ha
Smith, Brooks, Bryson. The rest are has beens or never were beens.

wjemather

Visit site
LIV really could have been just the thing to take golf to the next level if only... dropped the circus format.
Besides going to more/different countries, I fail to see how mimicking the establishment's tired massive-field, 72-hole stroke play format and extremely conservative presentation would take golf anywhere, let alone the next level.

Smith, Brooks, Bryson. The rest are has beens or never were beens.
Roughly 1/4 of the top-50, and 1/3 of the top-100, joined LIV and you can only think of 3 of them (and not even a couple who had top-10s in majors this year)?

Swango1980

Visit site
Here we go again with the "My dad could beat up your dad" argument.

I felt this thread had actually become a little more grown up and less repetitive lately, in fairness :)

D

Deleted member 23270

Besides going to more/different countries, I fail to see how mimicking the establishment's tired massive-field, 72-hole stroke play format and extremely conservative presentation would take golf anywhere, let alone the next level.

Roughly 1/4 of the top-50, and 1/3 of the top-100, joined LIV and you can only think of 3 of them (and not even a couple who had top-10s in majors this year)?
Like I said....now has beens.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

This actually highlights that either

A) LIV has led to a decline in their golf
B) They were on a downward trajectory and cashed in
C) A combination of both

Only about 15% now rank top 50 and 20% in Top 100 in TUGR/Data Golf (and nearly all the top players have declined in their actual rank from the time of the switch)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
This actually highlights that either

A) LIV has led to a decline in their golf
B) They were on a downward trajectory and cashed in
C) A combination of both

Only about 15% now rank top 50 and 20% in Top 100 in TUGR/Data Golf (and nearly all the top players have declined in their actual rank from the time of the switch)

I totally agree that some of them have declined.

Most of the players 45+ (picking that number out at random) haven't done much since their moves across.

Thinking Westwood, Poulter, Mickleson etc. I reckon they've made their bag and are just enjoying the occasional golf comp and living off their big names now, they're no longer grinding 7 days a week to make cuts and keep their cards etc.

I think only a handful have improved - and even they are debatable!

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
It is like when Seve played at the end of his career, I would go and watch him just to see the recovery shots, same as Phil now.....think I got more enjoyment out of seeing them then standing 10-20 deep watching the latest stars.
Each to his, or her own.. but personally I find it more satisfying to watch a rookie under pressure to shoot level par in the last 3 holes of a tournament to keep their tour card, rather than watch a bored multi-millionaire dob it round in an exhibition match where the minimum $100K+ will barely be noticeable in their inflated bank account.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Each to his, or her own.. but personally I find it more satisfying to watch a rookie under pressure to shoot level par in the last 3 holes of a tournament to keep their tour card, rather than watch a bored multi-millionaire dob it round in an exhibition match where the minimum $100K+ will barely be noticeable in their inflated bank account.

No Tiger for the Gopher this weekend then? 😂

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Interesting player perspective on the LIV mickey mouse elements in his chat with Crossfield podcast, where his view is the LIV might have attracted more players had they not had the teams, had more players, and had 72 holes with a cut. Effectively, that like fans, pros saw those elements a a deterrent to joining LIV despite the $$$. And...that Rahm may be pushing to have LIV tournaments revert to proper golf rather than the 'innovative' gimmicks as a condition to joining. PIF may have been sold the LIV proposal to refresh golf, but did LIV get it badly badly wrong, and make the root of its own failure, when straight golf might in fact have attracted a real field of top golfers ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry, don't understand your banter mate.. but that's probably cos I'm on a different intellectual level than you 🤔

I take it you won't be watching Tiger Woods, in the no cut invitational event that he's hosting this weekend - where last place is guaranteed $100,000 prize money.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
I take it you won't be watching Tiger Woods, in the no cut invitational event that he's hosting this weekend - where last place is guaranteed $100,000 prize money.

It's one event, end of season in 52 weeks. You are quick to criticise but just remind me how many such meaningless tournaments LIV have throughout the year.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think LIV have to go all out for the team aspect. Desperately need to find some links that will get people supporting different teams, could be geography, could be equipment, could be business, but trying to ape the PGAT with individual strokeplay seems difficult to sell.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It's one event, end of season in 52 weeks. You are quick to criticise but just remind me how many such meaningless tournaments LIV have throughout the year.

I'm not criticising anything.

You said you find watching rookies more satisfying than watching multi millionaires in exhibition matches, with guaranteed pay outs of $100,000 for last place.
That’s pretty much what the Hero is.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm not criticising anything.

You said you find watching rookies more satisfying than watching multi millionaires in exhibition matches, with guaranteed pay outs of $100,000 for last place.
That’s pretty much what the Hero is.
You are correct, that's why I won't follow the Hero tournament, it's just not my thing.

Last edited: